Petless and Not Liking It

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 09:13 pm
I did survive for various years without a pet (we didn't have one in our house when I was a child, and I only got one when I was in my thirties, as my husband had two cats. Ka-choooooo! but love as well... Some time later, I was petless for a big stretch. I became, perforce, a maven of others' pets, but also, as some have been thinking, extra keen on the birds in the trees, etc. Not that you aren't already. But, effectively, I moved my joy over to outside my home.

Kind of how I stopped with the shopaholic thing.
anyway, decades ago, I moved shopping thrills over to the thrift store, or the grocery aisle. Less can still be more, which is just as well. One appreciates in a kind of compensation...
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:47 pm
Hey, Margo, I think peroxide works on blood. Might test it somewhere else first....

Found this...
Due to the presence of catalase in blood, peroxide is only marginally effective in disinfecting open wounds, but excellent for bleaching blood stains.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroxide
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:56 pm
Margo, Possum scratches? Not nice. Tell him I said he should stop doing that. That oughta cure him of it.

osso, My petless state cannot be replaced with any kind of shopping. No dinero. However, if one were to look up my posting records here (if there are such things), it wouldn't surprise me to learn that I've been posting more since I've been petless. I think you're right that I need to find something to fill the void.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 11:07 pm
No, no, no, I was only analogizing... I weaned myself from shopping enjoyment by making the enjoyment simple... as someone said, more or less, joy about squirrels.

I will be in your spot not so long hence, and while I might consider a wee bird, not being allergic, it ain't my dog, or your cat.

And, oh gee, I don't equate my love for my dog or you for your cat and beyond, as in any way equivalent to shopping. I'm talking about shifting the realm, is all.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:18 am
ossobuco wrote:
No, no, no, I was only analogizing... I weaned myself from shopping enjoyment by making the enjoyment simple... as someone said, more or less, joy about squirrels.

I will be in your spot not so long hence, and while I might consider a wee bird, not being allergic, it ain't my dog, or your cat.

And, oh gee, I don't equate my love for my dog or you for your cat and beyond, as in any way equivalent to shopping. I'm talking about shifting the realm, is all.

Understand totally. Realm-shifting may happen. I may get a job that requires me to leave the house. That would be something I haven't done in a while. I have mixed feelings about it, but I will do it for steady work.

As for the wee boid, I know that Fred is a conure--not big. I had parakeets--even smaller. They varied in wonderfulness, as do all animals with even a modicum of brains and personalities. Billie was a ten. Loco, maybe a three. But on the whole wonderful companions. They need to be trained, which takes time and patience and is a good thing. Love dem boids.

BTW, I gently suggest that you not jump the gun re Pacco. You don't know how long he'll be ok or not ok. But I understand how you can't help but look beyond. I'm withya kid.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:29 am
Nods.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:31 am
I've read stuff about raw honey being good for open wounds recently, and not all from wooo-wooo sites.
0 Replies

hogie79

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:45 pm
you should defianately consider fostering if you want an animal but no bills.its a plus for both you and the animal.i also foster plus have my own pets .all the dogs i have fostered have been great dogs all well mannered and trained.Food is usually donated to shelters from pet stores so thats free and the shelters pay for the vet bills. So basically all you need to provide is the love. Just be careful not to get too attached to the animal I know that is pretty hard but if it wasnt for us people fosterin these animals alot of them wouldnt be able to be rescued.
0 Replies