Petless and Not Liking It

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 07:37 pm
I wasn't kidding about the box turtles. I really LIKED my business partner's box turtles, one she'd had for about twenty years, and another given to her by a shop customer because it wouldn't eat, couldn't open it's (beak). She used a toe clipper thing to trim the top beak, and Sally ate happily ever since. I don't think either of them have ever been to the vet. All they've needed is a place to stay - in her case she took a plank and framed it with foot wide strips of plexiglas. Provided an old tart plate for a pond; used a wood box with a piece of cloth for a curtain, for them to crawl in to sleep. Provided some straw bedding, which she changed every so often. Used a clamp on light for heat on cold overnights in the office. Fed them worms and lettuce and (thinking) sometimes some apple, sometimes some turtle food. Not a lot of money in it - though I don't know where you'd find hay/straw.

http://www.cortland.edu/herp/keys/images/turtles/tcarollg.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:12 pm
I had turtles as a child--Milly, Willy and George.

My sons had a turtle for a time. Thunder (short for Thunderbolt) used to emerge from under heavy furniture, trailing clouds of wooly bear fluff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:16 pm
(laughing at the woolies). Thinking, maybe newspaper instead of hay/straw (you can tell I don't know the difference). I think it was hay, since she had a horse...

No, they weren't the same as a dog, but I still liked them being there in our office.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:37 pm
Pet shops sell bales of cedar shavings.

Milly, Willy and George were basement turtles. They had a box, but they slept where they chose.

Thunder had a decorated box, but he slept where he chose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 09:25 pm
The two turtles I knew were always in their chamber, which, because of the plex, they could see out of... unless they were being picked up by one of us. Well, we had two oft-opening doors...
Plus they do poop...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 10:56 pm
msolga, A teensy weensy bird has feathers. And a teensy weensy bird can get sick. I've had six teensy weensy birds in my life. They were wonderful. They each ended up at the vet at one point or another.

osso, I've had turtles. Can't say I want another. I have nothing against them. I just didn't enjoy having them as pets before. Don't think I'd enjoy it any more now.

Margo, If I could get another cat, I'd already have one. And, who knows. I may one day get another. But right now, I'm enjoying my newfound breathing ability.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:06 pm
I'm not allergic to the Pacc, or at least not very much at all. I was allergic to our irish setter and our cats...
years went by before I got Pacco and I lied about being allergic to dogs. In truth, I'm allergic to some and not others - I didn't seem to be allergic to him when I told the humane society I wasn't, and ... I wasn't, whew. I agree on enjoying breathing. Plus I haven't smoked for decades either. Much better all around. Oh, and there's negligible mold here in my area of the southwest. Oh, yayyyyyy!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:09 pm
I'm glad you're not allergic to Pacco too. I bet he would be too if he knew what it meant.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:11 pm
how about feeding the wild birds? Watching the birds is fun. No, they can't be cuddled, but they are great to watch...
I've been smiling during this cold weather cause I found out that a flock of 20 or so mourning doves has found my back porch to be good protection from the wind and it gets morning sun. So they all sit huddled out there and follow the sun as it crosses the porch. When I look out at them, they look at me with those silly little eyes, and it makes me smile.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:14 pm
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4058/img2805wq1.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:25 pm
Out of curiousity, Roberta, I Googled: "suitable pets for asthma & allergy sufferers". Well! Link after link appeared, extolling the virtues of labradoodles. What are they? A poodle & labrador cross. (very popular in Oz!). Apparently they have delightful natures & are ideal for allergy sufferers. I know a dog is not what you've had in mind, but it gave me some hope that the right critter would eventually make itself known! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Out of curiousity, Roberta, I Googled: "suitable pets for asthma & allergy sufferers". Well! Link after link appeared, extolling the virtues of labradoodles. What are they? A poodle & labrador cross. (very popular in Oz!). Apparently they have delightful natures & are ideal for allergy sufferers. I know a dog is not what you've had in mind, but it gave me some hope that the right critter would eventually make itself known! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:27 pm
I just realized you are in New York City....

What's the wild bird feeding like there?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:36 pm
Out of curiousity, Roberta, I Googled: "suitable pets for asthma & allergy sufferers". Well! Link after link appeared, extolling the virtues of labradoodles. What are they? A poodle & labrador cross. (very popular in Oz.). Apparently they have delightful natures & are ideal for allergy sufferers. I know a dog is not what you've had in mind, but it gave me some hope that the right critter would eventually make itself known! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:23 am
Sorry for the 3 repeat messages on this one page, Roberta. I don't dare check the previous one!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:31 am
msolga, First, I have to congratulate you on your quadruple play. I'm as impressed as hell. My all-time best was a triple.

Querida, I know that there are animals that are hypoallergenic. What if I get one, and IT GETS SICK? I CAN'T AFFORD to pay a vet.

Thanks for looking and for trying, kid. I appreciate it. Relax. It's possible (but unlikely) that my obsession will subside. It occurred to me that I started the beautiful animal thread soon after Mikey died. Hanging on by a hangnail, I am. And getting solace where I can find it.

Caribou, Wild boids? We've got pigeons, sparrow, starlings, sea gulls (near the water), robins in the spring, and a red-tailed hawk who lives with his missus on a ledge on Mary Tyler Moore's Fifth Avenue apartment building. There are some areas in Central Park that attract wild birds. They're a fair distance inside the park in remote areas. I can't walk to them.

My parent's apartment complex in the Bronx used to attract Canada geese during migration. A wonderful sight. A goose in da Bronx. The geese may still be stopping there. I don't know. Both my parents are dead. I haven't been to the Bronx in ages.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:33 am
FOUR! Shocked

Embarrassed
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:48 am
Be proud, msolga. Hold your head up high. Get rid of that embarrassed red face. Four times is impressive. Three times is getting to be old hat.

Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:57 am
I'll try, Roberta. Really I will! It's hard, though ....

But you haven't said a word about labradoodles! After I posted it so many times, too! Is this because it's a silly name or because it's a ridulous suggestion?
0 Replies