Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 08:59 am
Ceili

You you still wont agree with our logical 7:30? :wink:
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:39 am
we actually use coach and bus.

Buses are local, like the London red buses, they have hard seats and you don't travel long distances in them.

Coaches are long distance like your Greyhounds - more comfortable and room for luggage.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 02:52 pm
Good catch, Piffka. Thanx for that link.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 02:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
By the way, half eight means 8:30, not 4:30.

And in Germany, 'halb acht' or half eight means 7:30
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:03 pm
McTag wrote:
Setanta wrote:
By the way, half eight means 8:30, not 4:30.

And in Germany, 'halb acht' or half eight means 7:30

Walter and I use the same brain, obviously.
Walter, can I have it back now, please?

McT
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:26 pm
Does that mean that yer venerable, flat-topped pate has an easy opening lid?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:30 pm
Don't YOU have one? Shocked
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:37 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Don't YOU have one? Shocked

A reference to me replying with a point which had already been made by you.....
trying to keep up.
I was busy last night eating and drinking, sorry. Smile

McT
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:03 pm
While we're on the subject of time (sort of), I feel compelled to inject the difference in how we state the date.

Brits--day/month/year, 1 January 2003
US--month/day/year, January 1, 2003

When someone asks you when your birthday is, do you say, "Twelve April" or "April twelfth"? Assuming, of course, that your birthday is on the twelfth day of April.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 08:20 pm
I say "None o' yer damn business."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 08:28 pm
When some asks me when my birthday is, i say: "Annually."
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:34 pm
Let's take a look at this handiwork, appears to be that of my beloved grandfather Victor von Frankenstein.

I take it that you have an enormous 'schwann-stucker'?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:42 pm
I just ran into two British-isms that mean some kind of car.
I was asked to choose between a saloon and an estate. I think that's either a sedan or a station wagon. (What else could it be?)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:55 pm
You are completely right, Piffka.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:34 am
Bookmarking - I can't use a2k very much at the moment, due to access problems at work :-( but I'll be back!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:35 am
During my lunchtime stroll thru the wastelands of the Web, I came across a little gemette called English Around The World.

http://www.btinternet.com/~homepage/sign.htm

It has lots of amusing trivia, such as>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Only in America...can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance...

Only in America...are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink...

Only in America...do people order double cheese burgers, a large fry, and a diet coke...

Only in America...do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters...

Only in America...do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and leave useless things and junk in boxes locked in the garage...

Only in America...do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place...

Only in America...do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight...

Only in America...do we use the word "politics" to describe the process so well: "Poli" in latin meaning "many" and "tics" meaning "blood-sucking creatures".....

LONDON SIGNS

IN A LAUNDROMAT: Automatic washing machines. Please remove all your clothes when the light goes out.

IN A LONDON DEPARTMENT STORE: Bargain Basement Upstairs

IN AN OFFICE: Would the person who took the step ladder yesterday please bring it back or further steps will be taken.

IN ANOTHER OFFICE: After the tea break staff should empty the teapot and stand upside down on the draining board.

ON A CHURCH DOOR:: This is the gate of Heaven. Enter ye all by this door. (This door is kept locked because of the draft. Please use side entrance)

OUTSIDE A SECOND HAND SHOP: We exchange anything - bicycles, washing machines etc. Why not bring your wife along and get a wonderful bargain.

QUICKSAND WARNING: Quicksand. Any person passing this point will be drowned. By order of the District Council.

NOTICE IN A DRY CLEANER'S WINDOW: Anyone leaving their garments here for more than 30 days will be disposed of.

IN A HEALTH FOOD SHOP WINDOW: Closed due to illness.

SPOTTED IN A SAFARI PARK: Elephants Please Stay In Your Car

SEEN DURING A CONFERENCE: For anyone who has children and doesn't know it, there is a day care on the first floor.

NOTICE IN A FIELD: The farmer allows walkers to cross the field for free, but the bull charges.

MESSAGE ON A LEAFLET: If you cannot read, this leaflet will tell you how to get lessons.

ON A REPAIR SHOP DOOR: We can repair anything (Please knock hard on the door - the bell doesn't work)

SPOTTED IN A TOILET IN A LONDON OFFICE BLOCK: Toilet out of order. Please use floor below.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:52 am
oak, these are great!

I have one to add to the only in America list:

My drive-up ATM (automatic teller machine) has Braille next to all the buttons! Wouldn't want to prevent those blind drivers from getting to their money...
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 08:25 am
Hey Mac, we haven't got drive up ATMs yet, only the walk ups, but they will get here. Probably stuck in traffic someplace. Or else looking for the Braille buttons
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 08:34 am
OAK -- These are hilarious... I love "Please Knock hard..." and "If you have children but don't know it..."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:02 am
All of that reminds me of the signs that used to appear on the doors of McDonald's restaurants (until someone did the corporate "Doh ! ! ! ") which informed the illiterate and the blind that they would be provided picture or braille menus . . .
0 Replies