Strange Occurrence

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:10 pm
In the fall of 1997 when my mother and I came home from school- when we checked the answering machine that day the answering machine tape was gone. She was wondering what happened to the tape and she thought I took it. A few days later I found the tape under the bed. (The answering machine is located in her bedroom- on a nightstand next to the bed) When I put the tape back into the answering machine- when I played it- the messages (including the outgoing message) in the tape were gone! What is the explanation of this- is this a supernatural occurrence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,973 • Replies: 72
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:14 pm
No, physics provides a perfectly rational explanation:

This was originally posted on Bikeforums.net by Artkansas. Reprinted by permission -- Roger

I have a theory. It is based on Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and Schrodinger's cat.

Being a 3D animator, I see God as "rendering" the universe (in real-time) as I render a 3D scene after making all the objects and assigning all the motion. Like any good programmer, God has algorithms that calculate what needs to be rendered for the universe to exist at any given time. Unneeded things simply aren't rendered to minimize God's work load. Sometimes things get misallocated and aren't rendered when they should be. Most likely your watch got allocated as not necessary to calculate because it was inside your shoe. But when time came to render it again, the watch subroutine had been pushed off the calculation stack. This was subsequently fixed later on. Your distress gave signals to the universe that something had not been properly rendered, and the situation was remedied.

I had a nailfile that had a similar situation. I left it on the left side of my computer. I noticed it missing and searched the table thoroughly. No nail file. A couple of weeks later, the nail file turned up on the right side of my computer, in plain sight.

Go calculate!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 09:32 pm
Years ago I lost my college class ring while I was helping my dad moor a boat. I dove in the water and searched the bottom, the water was very clear near Pt Judith RI. I dove around for about 10 minutes to no avail. I gave uping for lost forever.
In 2003 my wife and I were fishing in the Passamquoddy Bay near Eastport maine and I caught a large codfish in about 100 ft of water. I reeled him in and began to filet the fish to put in the fridge. AS I gutted the fish guess what I discovered?

Awhole bunch of squid. All along we were using these rubber hose baits that are viisble in deep dark water. Boy, did I believe in squid bait after that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 09:35 pm
roger, if youre a 3-D animator, why dont you do a better job on that weasel avatar.
Eyes in front, born to hunt
Eyes on the side, run and hide.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 09:52 pm
I once got on a plane flying to Lisbon Portugal, there was a very charming lady sitting in the seat next to me. Making conversation I said "I'm on my way to Lisbon Portugal." she then turned to me with a startled look and after a short gasp said "Wow that is so amazing, I am also on my way to Lisbon Portugal."
Things like that happen to me all the time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 10:04 pm
I was afraid that was going to happen.

This was originally posted on Bikeforums.net by Artkansas. Reprinted by permission -- Roger

For myself, I'm a professional juggler, and not too shabby a bookkeeper.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 10:26 pm
Me too, Dys. Last time, in September it happened. I was visiting my sister in California, and she insisted on making up the bed for me. With neat mitered corners, as if I were visiting royalty, or something. "Those are hospital corners!" she told me. "My mother was a nurse.", and she said this kind of smugly. "What a coincidence" I sez. "So was mine." Don't know if she believed me or not.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 06:36 am
Pribceton recently shut down its well funded "Institute for ParaNormal Research"

When asked about the event, the director said that "We could see it coming"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 06:39 am
I've noticed that each time I strike a nail with my hammer, the nail recedes deeper into the wood. Coincidence? I think not.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 06:47 am
I once spoke in a foreign language that was unknown to me . Noone else could speak it either. Isnt that strange?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:02 am
Hah! That's nothing. Just now, I opened the phone directory at random, and it just fell open to page 432. I ask you, what are the odds on that happening if it were truely random.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 12:28 pm
I just got a message on my voice mail.
It's not for me.
It's for some woman who is picking up her son at school.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 12:34 pm
You guys just stop it!

You're all starting to scare me with all this supernatural stuff.

You know what though, I was looking at the calendar, and I notice that ever 4 years February has an extra day.

Every....single...4th....year.....

Now how am I supposed to sleep tonight?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 12:37 pm
Re: Strange Occurrence
lovelymitchangel wrote:
In the fall of 1997 when my mother and I came home from school- when we checked the answering machine that day the answering machine tape was gone. She was wondering what happened to the tape and she thought I took it. A few days later I found the tape under the bed. (The answering machine is located in her bedroom- on a nightstand next to the bed) When I put the tape back into the answering machine- when I played it- the messages (including the outgoing message) in the tape were gone! What is the explanation of this- is this a supernatural occurrence?

Is your mother suffering from dementia? Maybe she took the tape out, ran a giant magnet over it, and then threw it under the bed during one of her bouts with her illness. Does that sound plausible?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 12:52 pm
Kicky, that is the most absurd answer I've ever heard.
Rolling Eyes

I mean, who actually has a giant maget at home?
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 02:11 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
...I mean, who actually has a giant maget at home?

I understand Gus has a giant maggot.
Does that count?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 02:19 pm
Once...

We were driving through Chedder Gorge and we were trying to think of 10 famous Canadians...

I could only think of Bryan Adams...

THEN, we stopped at a very out of the way chapel and went inside to have a look, there had recently been a wedding, and the order of service was on the alter, when I read it, it said 'Bride enters to Everything I do, I do it for you'!!!

...now what are the chances?

x
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:37 pm
A lady once dreamed that her sister had been taken to the hospital. The dream was so real that she called just to check. And sure enough, she was right.

That lady had been having that dream for twenty years, but all the times she was wrong were forgotten. The only one she remembered was the one she got right.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:47 am
rosborne...that reminds me of when they interview a celebrity and his/her friend and family.

So many times it's "Ever since she was a little girl, Debbie always said that someday she'd be a star"

What about all the people that say that and never even get a role in the school play? I'd guess the ratio is about 1,396,278 to 1.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:16 am
The only telepathic / clairvoyant thing I have ever had is with my mom. I'll be picking up the phone to call her or thinking of calling her and she'll call. Happens a lot. Not just once in a while. Sometimes, it doesn't happen, but I'd say over 50% of the time it does.
0 Replies