Welfare Ethical question its a DOozy

flushd

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 04:49 am
I didn't get the reference, Set, but assume it is a form of compliment to Joe.

Thanks for answering. It makes a lot of sense and I reaaaally wish you had been born into my family.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:32 pm
flushd wrote:
Thanks for answering. It makes a lot of sense and I reaaaally wish you had been born into my family.

I remain available for adoption.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 02:29 pm
crayon851 wrote:
You can do it through stocks. It's easier said than done, but it can be done.

Unless its a huge amount of money like a couple million.

If you seriously believe you can double your money each month through the oridinary securities available through the stock market, i have a bridge i'd like to flog to you at a bargain basement price.

Flushd--Falstaff was the companion of "Prince Hal" in the Shakespeare plays, Henry IV Parts I and II. He wanted the gallows abolished when Hal became King Henry V. Falstaff didn't do well with lawyers.

In Henry IV, Part II, Act IV, Scene 2, the Butcher says:

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:42 am
Well I think it can be done, as long as the amount you're trying to get a return of 100% on is not too high.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:58 am
crayon851 wrote:
Well I think it can be done, as long as the amount you're trying to get a return of 100% on is not too high.
Laughing Can? Sure. Will?->Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:15 am
I think most of the participants in this thread are missing the point: it doesn't matter if, in reality, the kind of investment that crayon851 posited would never return those levels of profits, or that no welfare program in existence would be available to a live-at-home college student. We're dealing with a hypothetical situation, so raising objections that this hypothetical situation isn't realistic clearly misses the point. By it's very nature, a hypothetical situation isn't realistic -- that's what makes it hypothetical.

For example, I could start a thread by saying "suppose I had a talking dog..." It would not be a valid criticism of the hypothetical to say that there are no such things as talking dogs. Of course there are no such things as talking dogs, but the hypothetical posits an unreal situation where there are such beasts. Those who choose to address the hypothetical must do so on its terms. Those whose imaginations are so limited that they cannot even comprehend such an unreal situation are better off finding a more concrete topic to discuss. I would suggest sports.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:06 am
There are those who are uninterested in the hypothetical, and choose, as is one's right, to amuse themselves with the hilarity of considering that there were any investment which would return 100% in one month. That hilarity was augmented by the attempt of one member to assert that there are ordinary securities which will reliably return 100% per month. This isn't a matter of a lack of imagination, and such petty sniping ought to be beneath the dignified demeanor you usually display in these fora. Nothing prevents you from continuing to discuss the hypothetical offered here--and nothing prevents those who so wish to continue to indulge the hilarity.
0 Replies

Shellgame

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:36 am
Quote:
You are currently a student who is living at home and has no expenses. You go to the social services board or whatever board issues the welfare checks and apply for welfare. By chance, you've managed to get 200$ a month and your true intentions are to re-invest it to turn around a profit. Now, what you do is you give that 200$ to a parent or a relative who can reinvest that money for you to turn a profit. The intention for the use of the profit is partly for personal gain and also charitable donations. Since you are also paying taxes on your profit, which say manage to equal the amount of welfare you receive for each month while also donating another percent of the profit to charity or some community services program. Is this ethical ? The taxes pay back the amount you've acquired from welfare and you're also paying out more of the profit to a community service. Ethical or not?

In a nut shell, you're telling a lie to help the community as well as yourself.
IMO, I think it would be alright to do it since you're giving back more than what you're taking. If everyone on welfare did this, there'd be a lot more consumption and prosperity which in turn leads to a better economy. I'd say go for it.

You're intention to profit personally and doing so by telling a lie makes the whole idea unethical IMO.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:52 am
The whole idea's verknackt, but I'm most curious about this ...

crayon851 wrote:
You can do it through stocks. It's easier said than done, but it can be done.

Unless its a huge amount of money like a couple million.

why do you think it's easier to double $1 or $100 or $1,000 than 'a couple million'?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:05 pm
The first step in the process to apply for welfare is wrong. Everything else that follows doesn't justify the first crime.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
There are those who are uninterested in the hypothetical, and choose, as is one's right, to amuse themselves with the hilarity of considering that there were any investment which would return 100% in one month. That hilarity was augmented by the attempt of one member to assert that there are ordinary securities which will reliably return 100% per month. This isn't a matter of a lack of imagination, and such petty sniping ought to be beneath the dignified demeanor you usually display in these fora. Nothing prevents you from continuing to discuss the hypothetical offered here--and nothing prevents those who so wish to continue to indulge the hilarity.

Oh, sorry, I didn't know you were being funny. Perhaps the next time you are being funny you could give us some fair warning, like ... oh, I don't know, being funny or something.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:33 pm
I would not have thought it were necessary, given that i offered to sell a bridge to the joker who claimed one could actually find investments which would return 100% in a month's time.

However, when you are being pompous and snotty, you needn't give us any notice--it stands out without further need for emphasis.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:37 pm
Setanta wrote:
However, when you are being pompous and snotty, you needn't give us any notice--it stands out without further need for emphasis.

Praise from Caesar indeed.
0 Replies