A psychotic aversion to self-learning?

coberst

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 06:02 am
A psychotic aversion to self-learning?

There is strong evidence that our educational system has graduated students with a neurosis directed at self-learning; there seems to be a strong aversion to serious scholarship that is without an educational institution's imprimatur.

What is neurosis?

Becker says "isn't the development of the ego the key to the general problem of neurosis?" The ego grows by putting anxiety under its control; thoughts and feelings are dangerous for the existence of the organism, ergo the ego "vaccinates itself" with small doses of anxiety as a defense mechanism against anxiety.

The ego controls our levels of anxiety by a restriction of our allowed experiences.
The ego develops by "skewing perceptions and by limiting action". The ego grows by "a dispossession of the child's own inner world". The ego's technique mechanism is one of the best, it is self-deception. The child's humanization is accomplished by giving over her aegis to the parent. Are the child's educational efforts at humanization also accomplished by giving over its intellectual aegis to the teacher?

Our motives are buried deep in the unconscious and are veiled by our ignorance of our self. "One's motives reside in his skewed perceptions, in the way he dispossess himself of genuine self-reliance"; Freud discovered "conscience as limited vision and as dishonest control over one-selfÂ…Neurosis is merely a process of interference with simple animal movements, of the blocking of the forward momentum of action."

Neurosis blocks our most "eager and engrossing acts, acts of an excited infant [and of an excited adult] in a world of wonders". The result being that we all tend to earn a sense of support passively, by "renouncing action and the satisfaction of making [our] own closure on action."

Quotes and ideas about neurosis (not about self-learning)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 726 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 02:03 pm
Re: A psychotic aversion to self-learning?
coberst wrote:
There is strong evidence that our educational system has graduated students with a neurosis directed at self-learning;

Interesting. The proliferation of user-generated reference sources on the internet, of which Wikipedia is the current culmination, would seem to indicate the opposite, but I'd be interested to hear what this strong evidence is. What data do you have in mind?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 05:32 pm
Shapeless wrote:
coberst wrote:
There is strong evidence that our educational system has graduated students with a neurosis directed at self-learning;

Interesting. The proliferation of user-generated reference sources on the internet, of which Wikipedia is the current culmination, would seem to indicate the opposite, but I'd be interested to hear what this strong evidence is. What data do you have in mind?

I have been posting for three years and have always wondered why I constantly received responses like your response here. There are two types of questions, one is designed to facilitate learning and the other, like yours, is designed to stop learning cold.

Why, I asked myself, is the subject of self-learning always given the stop-learning-cold response. I have finally found the answer. People give this response of avoidance and denial because our educational institutions have instilled this fear of self-reliance in the matter of learning. After all of my attempts to comprehend this avoidance of the issue of self-learning I have finally found the answer.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 05:49 pm
I'm happy for you, coberst.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 07:01 pm
coberst wrote:
There are two types of questions, one is designed to facilitate learning and the other, like yours, is designed to stop learning cold.

Wow, looks like I hit a nerve. And all I did was ask you to clarify the "strong evidence" you claimed to have. I can't say I'm at all surprised at your defensiveness to this simple request, Coberst, but it is all the more amusing because you of your claim, in another thread that:

coberst wrote:
My statements are inductive conjectures. I go from the particular to the general.

I don't think any of us believed it when you said it then, but at least we now have reason to not believe it now.

I'm happy to play the game by your rules, however. You say there is strong evidence that no one sees the importance of later-life scholarship? Well, I have strong evidence that people do. I guess that settles that. (Hey, you're right... this does make debating much easier!)
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 07:21 pm
Coberst,

Every thread you start is essentially about one thingÂ….you coming to the social sciences later in life. I put it to you that your constant quoting of favourite references and your non-participation in the threads of others should tell you something about your "success" or otherwise with your progress as a critical thinker.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 07:43 pm
Most of us on a2k are self learners, no matter what degrees we don't have or do have. Most of us recognize cant - see answers.com -

You have accertained that you've learned how to learn, whether or not others agree. Now you need to learn to converse.

cant2 (k?nt)
n.
Monotonous talk filled with platitudes.
Hypocritically pious language.
The special vocabulary peculiar to the members of an underworld group; argot.
Cant See Shelta.
Whining speech, such as that used by beggars.
The special terminology understood among the members of a profession, discipline, or class but obscure to the general population; jargon. See synonyms at dialect.

I think most of us probably wish you'd make a leap out of comforting cant to just talk, coberst.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 08:14 pm
Quote:
Most of us recognize cant - see answers.com -

Ha!

I read this as something like "can't-see-answers.com," an apt parody of "able2know.com" -- and not inappropriate to the present circumstances, either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 08:56 pm
Yeh.

I should have said:

Most of us recognize cant;
see answers.com -
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 08:57 pm
Absolutely not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 10:00 pm
All right already.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 11:17 pm
According to Coberst's last 3,000 posts, he is the only one in the world who has learned how to learn...and it is a sin to listen to anyone who is qualified to teach. Only Coberst can teach the world. I think he's going to keep telling us this until he has convinced himself that it is true.

Coberst, I think you could seriously benefit from learning something you didn't make up yourself.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 02:46 am
Coberst blitzes numerous forums with these "questions" (a modus operandum which would appear to be an alternative to meaningful involvement). On the "Infidels Discussion Board" for example this one received lengthier rejections involving academic criticism of Becker.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 05:25 am
coberst wrote:
I have been posting for three years and have always wondered why I constantly received responses like your response here.

I can tell you why. Critical thinkers and self learners; the people who frequent this board, do not take believe it is true just because you claim to have strong evidence, which I have yet to see you produce.

Quote:
There are two types of questions, one is designed to facilitate learning and the other, like yours, is designed to stop learning cold.

Cob, I've said it before. The kind of questions you pose are the ones that are designed to stop learning cold. Your inability to respond to critisism is proof of that.

Quote:
Why, I asked myself, is the subject of self-learning always given the stop-learning-cold response.

It isn't. The guise of self-learning from the proverbial frog in the well is easily seen through though.

Quote:
I have finally found the answer. People give this response of avoidance and denial because our educational institutions have instilled this fear of self-reliance in the matter of learning.

This from you. When have you relied on yourself to learn anything? Becker is your messiah, and all you do is quote him. Is that self-reliance?

Quote:
After all of my attempts to comprehend this avoidance of the issue of self-learning I have finally found the answer.

Hate to break it to you, but the one avoiding self-learning is you. But my name is not ernest becker, so I doubt you'll believe me.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 05:42 pm
This thread is useful. I learned a new word.
Cant.
0 Replies