Any coin collectors?

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 08:23 am
I found some coins in an old metal lock box I took from my mother's house after she died. I've been trying to find information about them online. Mainly I'm trying to find out what, if anything, they're worth. I'm either not finding anything or finding very different info about the same coins.

Does anyone know about coins? Can anyone suggest a site that might have information? Two of the coins are from the U.S. Three are from Europe.

If someone here knows about coins, I'll be happy to provide specifics.

Thanks.

PS: I also found a metal token for a speakeasy. I did some digging around online about that as well. Couldn't fine much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,945 • Replies: 11
No top replies

rhymer

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 02:59 pm
If you type collectors-society into your browser address box it should take you to a possibly useful site!
Otherwise try a search for coin details using google.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 03:22 pm
Shewolf had a thread on this back in November -

Not sure if it will help...

Link
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 04:07 pm
rhymer, thanks for the link. I have looked on google. Very frustrating.

osso, I checked out shewolf's thread. Not much help. For one thing, she's a collector and actually knows what she has.

I know from nothing.

I'll check out rhymer's link.

I do know that I have a shield nickel and a silver dollor from the 1880s. The other coins are from other countries.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 08:44 am
Nothing to add re what they might be worth, but I'd love to see them.

I started out to collect for my son a hundred Canadian pennies, one for each year from 1900 - 2000. Along the way, I stumbled across several that predated my goal period and now continue to add the new year's mintage whenever they start showing up in my change, usually around April. That endeavour morphed into an interest in old Canadian quarters or unusual looking nickels, etc. and American cents, too.

Damned if I can help myself, I've several dozen stamps now, too.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 09:04 am
You could be lost for weeks here, but perhaps you'll find what you need if you're dogged.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 12:28 pm
And this site on coin grading might help explain why you're getting different info on the same coins.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 03:00 pm
Thanks, Joe, for the suggestions and the links. I'll do some poking around when I can. The info on grading will be be a help. I've seen the term a few times, but I had no idea what was meant.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 12:10 am
Roberta I use a book for the US coins. The most respected (IMO) is called:

"A GUIDE BOOK OF UNITED STATES COINS" otherwise know as the red book. It comes in both paperback and hard bound.

R.S. YEOMAN

The year 2007 is their 60th Edition.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 12:47 am
Thanks, TTH. I appreciate the info. But I have to wonder whether the book would cost me more than the coins are worth. Quien sabe?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 01:26 am
You can find the book in coin shops, book shops and the library. You can write all the information on the coin down (year, mint mark, writing on it etc.) or take it with you and look in the book without buying the book. This might not help you as much if you do not know what to look for.

I suggest you take the coin in to a coin shop (that you feel is reputable) and ask them the value and explain where they came up with what they told you. They should have no problem explaining that to you. The ones I have gone to (4) I checked them out first. I have used all of them. They should have the book so ask them to show you in the book the value. If they are not willing to do this I would not do business with them.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 03:10 am
TTH, I don't get around well, which is why I wanted to get as much information as I could online before I went anywhere. Someone is currently helping me identify some of the coins. If that doesn't work out, I'll find a reputable coin shop and go there.

Thanks, again.
0 Replies