Not a frivolous matter!

coberst

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 08:15 am
Not a frivolous matter!

The question, are we wolves, sheep, or merely half-awake children was not posted as a frivolous matter.

If we wish to improve our social structure we must know what humans are at a very basic level. The sciences of psychology, sociology, and psychiatry have determined that we have a neutral nature. We are not inherently selfish, evil, and self-destructive SOBs as we sometimes appear to be.

We are merely half-awake children and thus we can fairly easily turn around this lousy social structure we have invented if we can awaken the masses. I have decided that it is my duty as your Dutch uncle to awaken these young slumbering giants; and thus my posts. I have decided that I must ride through the towns and cities crying "awaken young giants, there is much learning to be done, go quickly to your nearest library and begin, the hour is very late".

Time is late because we have constructed hi-tech toys that can easily destroy us. We cannot continue, foolishly playing with matches, while sitting in a pool of gasoline.

Some have identified the generation that fought WWII as the greatest generation; for good reason. That generation had to kill and die in battle to save civilization; they did it with courage and dignity. Does this generation, the one just coming of age, have the courage and dignity to save civilization from self-destruction? This generation need not kill and die; this generation needs only to develop an intellectual life. Perhaps our society has generated young citizens who find it easier to kill and die than to learn and lead.

Hi-oh Silver, away; who was that masked-man mounted on the white horse; perhaps the apocalypse--perhaps our guardian angel?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 621 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Foley

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:00 am
So you tell us we must reform society and awaken the truth of human existence in order to save civilization? Very well, but how would you suggest, and why are we so wrong now?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:02 am
I believe it is only under the pressure of some great event humans will generally become as you say. They were doing pretty well in the USA for a time as the Great Depression dragged on. Over the decades that followed, the lessons were lost, and we reverted to the country as it was before Hoover.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 12:35 pm
Foley wrote:
So you tell us we must reform society and awaken the truth of human existence in order to save civilization? Very well, but how would you suggest, and why are we so wrong now?

I suggest that young people start reading nonfiction books especially history.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 12:38 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I believe it is only under the pressure of some great event humans will generally become as you say. They were doing pretty well in the USA for a time as the Great Depression dragged on. Over the decades that followed, the lessons were lost, and we reverted to the country as it was before Hoover.

The pressure of some great event is among us but young people must start reading nonficton books to recognize the event that is happening. Reading is fundamental to comprehension.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 01:04 pm
Americans are desensitized to these events, possibly because there are so many pleasurable distractions. Even the poor have cell phones and computerized games, it seems. The deprivation and general sense of all segments of society being in the same pickle is missing so far.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 02:20 pm
coberst wrote:

So that they might not repeat the mistakes? Sounds reasonable, now all you have to do is get children to enjoy reading.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:03 pm
Foley wrote:
coberst wrote:

So that they might not repeat the mistakes? Sounds reasonable, now all you have to do is get children to enjoy reading.

The first problem is to convince adults to start reading and learning when their schooling is over. If adults manage to do this then the children will more easily follow.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:15 pm
coberst wrote:
The first problem is to convince adults to start reading and learning when their schooling is over. If adults manage to do this then the children will more easily follow.

Good point.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 07:20 pm
coberst wrote:
I have decided that it is my duty as your Dutch uncle to awaken these young slumbering giants; and thus my posts. I have decided that I must ride through the towns and cities crying "awaken young giants, there is much learning to be done, go quickly to your nearest library and begin, the hour is very late".

Now where did we put that cross and those nails... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 02:24 am
Cyracuz wrote:
coberst wrote:
I have decided that it is my duty as your Dutch uncle to awaken these young slumbering giants; and thus my posts. I have decided that I must ride through the towns and cities crying "awaken young giants, there is much learning to be done, go quickly to your nearest library and begin, the hour is very late".

Now where did we put that cross and those nails... Twisted Evil

Its the hemlock that the Dutch uncle must fear.
0 Replies