the meaning of life - does this make sense?

rockpie

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 08:16 am
i'm kind of losing my christian faith as you probably are aware, and i'm trying to live life as it happens. but at the same time attepmting to discover what the meaning of my life is. could it be that there is no particular meaning to life that everybody can find together, but rather that we all have our own individual meanings to life that fit in with each other. for example, my meaning in life might be the antithesis to yours, but both meanings are equally as valid in order to keep somebody elses meaning held together. kind of like a wall with randomly sized bricks that fit together in a jigsaw fashion. this is a completely random thought and it probably sounds stupid but i thought i'd share it with y'all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,877 • Replies: 22
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 08:18 am
Don't think about stuff like that, rockpie. It will just make your head hurt.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 08:28 am
I know a recently widowed attractive girl here in NC who would enjoy discussing these weighty issues with you. bring beer though, she recently lost hers in a wager.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 08:38 am
Re: the meaning of life - does this make sense?
rockpie wrote:
i'm kind of losing my christian faith as you probably are aware, and i'm trying to live life as it happens. but at the same time attepmting to discover what the meaning of my life is. could it be that there is no particular meaning to life that everybody can find together, but rather that we all have our own individual meanings to life that fit in with each other. for example, my meaning in life might be the antithesis to yours, but both meanings are equally as valid in order to keep somebody elses meaning held together. kind of like a wall with randomly sized bricks that fit together in a jigsaw fashion. this is a completely random thought and it probably sounds stupid but i thought i'd share it with y'all.

Your question begins with the words, "Could it be that...."

In phrasing the question that way...you have already answered it.

Of course it could be.

Rather than concentrating on what you wrote after the words "could it be..."...

...concentrate on the fact that almost anything after those words would yield the same answer.

Then stop thinking about the question...and just live your life.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 08:47 am
ok, change ''could it be that'' to ''do you think that''. better?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 08:58 am
rockpie- IMO, the meaning of life is what each individual makes of thier own existence.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 09:44 am
Just have to jump in here for a moment.

And yes, I suppose this does sound a little bitter....

rockpie, do you realize when you first started posting here, a very short time ago, you were so bound and determined that you and your beliefs were the only way to salvation, plus being so sure there was some kind of salvation/damnation at all?

Now, you're questioning, and it's suddenly perfectly all right to ask "what if?" and "what do you think?"

This is not just an A2K thing of course, although we have all of course seen it happen here before.

Perhaps you see the important lesson learned here.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 09:48 am
Chai you're wisdom is inspirational. I would like to worship at your feet. Please wear slightly soiled fishnet hose and stiletto heels.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 10:01 am
well, my thoughts may not be fancy, but jesus, it's really, well, not exactly annoying when some person who been going on about the correct way to exist suddenly falls out of the ivory tower.

no hard feelings rockpie, there's plenty of soft grass for you to fall on down here, and the view, while not so rare, is still pretty nice
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 11:42 am
Heard something on House the other night that struck a cord.

If there is nothing afterwards to look forward to, what's the point of doing anything good in this life?

I agree.

I don't know if there is a God or many Gods or its a he or a she or anything like that. The specifics don't really matter I guess. The point is that if there are absolutly no consequences for our actions, what's the point of being good or kind or anything other than completely rotten in this life?
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 11:46 am
Rockpie, I agree. I think when we create meaning, for ourselves, we shoulder responsibility for ourselves, that much better. To me there is a part of everyone that searches for meaning or more specifically, unity with the world around them. People may perceive the world around them in different ways, from differing perspectives but be it in a religious following, a social structure or maybe even a mystic's "religious" experience (personal/subjective/experiential) they are always connected with this. We stand, from the outsiders point of view, as one mass but we stand from the insiders point of view very much as individuals, I guess it's all about balancing these things.

With the creation of our own meaning I see it as akin to a person learning something and in so doing, creating their own inspiration for the topic rather than being force fed reasoning via a teacher. The former nearly always seems to provide more in-depth understanding.

One of the things that strikes me with organised religion, since you mentioned your Christian experiences at the start and how this connects with the "meaning of life", is that to me, if a religion's goal was to unite people, they just plain misuse objective rules. In trying to connect people (many simply see this as a desire for control but looking at it from a positive aspect...) they don't seem to be acknowledging our subjective nature. You talked of differing meanings and how people may clash but also connect, this links in with it, I think when someone sees their own viewpoint or stance for what it is, they become that much more tolerant and also sympathetic to the plight of others. In my own experience I feel more connected with people when I become content with the idea of so many differing views and paths as something which IS, rather than something which should be changed/discouraged. Variety is the spice of life because each situation is filled with new possibilities to learn, as opposed to an endless supply of possibilities to have to challenge and throw in the bin.

When there is this objective rule, out there, everyone grasps at it, throws it in the face of others, elevates it, misuses and twists it because it seems to give the impression that we as individuals have this benchmark to strive for and we are pitting ourselves against each other. Contrast this with introspection, tending ones own garden, looking within for answers that have meaning, first and foremost (and maybe ONLY) for ourselves. Having said all that of course, there is clearly a lot to be said for objectivity, I just think a little introspection and appreciation of what the "results" might yield goes a long way. Just a few thoughts anyway, I liked the jigsaw analogy too, there a few other topics linking in with that on here. Smile
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 11:57 am
Rockpie, I agree. I think when we create meaning, for ourselves, we shoulder responsibility for ourselves, that much better. To me there is a part of everyone that searches for meaning or more specifically, unity with the world around them. People may perceive the world around them in different ways, from differing perspectives but be it in a religious following, a social structure or maybe even a mystic's "religious" experience (personal/subjective/experiential) they are always connected with this. We stand, from the outsiders point of view, as one mass but we stand from the insiders point of view very much as individuals, I guess it's all about balancing these things.

With the creation of our own meaning I see it as akin to a person learning something and in so doing, creating their own inspiration for the topic rather than being force fed reasoning via a teacher. The former nearly always seems to provide more in-depth understanding.

One of the things that strikes me with organised religion, since you mentioned your Christian experiences at the start and how this connects with the "meaning of life", is that to me, if a religion's goal was to unite people, they just plain misuse objective rules. In trying to connect people (many simply see this as a desire for control but looking at it from a positive aspect...) they don't seem to be acknowledging our subjective nature. You talked of differing meanings and how people may clash but also connect, this links in with it, I think when someone sees their own viewpoint or stance for what it is, they become that much more tolerant and also sympathetic to the plight of others. In my own experience I feel more connected with people when I become content with the idea of so many differing views and paths as something which IS, rather than something which should be changed/discouraged. Variety is the spice of life because each situation is filled with new possibilities to learn, as opposed to an endless supply of possibilities to have to challenge and throw in the bin.

When there is this objective rule, out there, everyone grasps at it, throws it in the face of others, elevates it, misuses and twists it because it seems to give the impression that we as individuals have this benchmark to strive for and we are pitting ourselves against each other. Contrast this with introspection, tending ones own garden, looking within for answers that have meaning, first and foremost (and maybe ONLY) for ourselves. Having said all that of course, there is clearly a lot to be said for objectivity, I just think a little introspection and appreciation of what the "results" might yield goes a long way. Just a few thoughts anyway, I liked the jigsaw analogy too, there a few other topics linking in with that on here. Smile

EDIT: The site fought me tooth and nail to get this posted, choice words may or may not have been exchanged and this post might appear more than once, apologies in advance Laughing
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 07:08 pm
Re: the meaning of life - does this make sense?
rockpie wrote:

What is the life of this world but play and amusement? But best is the home in the hereafter, for those who are righteous. Will you not then understand? (Surat al-An'am: 32)

This life is nothing more than a diversion or a transition for the Hereafter. Your true life starts in the Hereafter, where you will be immortal and have the freedom to do whatever your heart desires. The purpose of this life is for us to do the best we can by keep true to our religion at all times (persuing good and giving up following our lusts/desires) and being patient is of utmost importance. Of course no one said it was going to be easy, and God shall test his creations with the best of trials and tribulations in the form of death, loss of money, etc.. As for those who remain patient and steadfast until they finally die, they will be the victors in the Hereafter.

"Be sure we shall test you with fear and hunger, someloss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere." (Surat al-Baqara, 2:155)

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they follow nothing but conjectures and they would love nothing more than to divert you off the Straight Path (being a believer) into disbelief.

Mankind! Allah's promise is true. Do not let the life of this world delude you and do not let the Deluder (Satan) delude you about Allah. Satan is your enemy so treat him as an enemy. He summons his party so they will be among the people of the Searing Blaze. (Surah Fatir, 5-6)

If you need help, feel free to PM me.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 08:20 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

If there is nothing afterwards to look forward to, what's the point of doing anything good in this life?

I agree.

I don't know if there is a God or many Gods or its a he or a she or anything like that. The specifics don't really matter I guess. The point is that if there are absolutly no consequences for our actions, what's the point of being good or kind or anything other than completely rotten in this life?

But there are consequences for your actions. I just don't think they emanate from some god-thingie.

If you are rotten to your friends, how long will they stick with you?
If you are nasty to your family, will they want you around?
Doesn't doing something nice for somebody make you feel like a better person?
What you have to look forward to is looking back over your life and being able to say, "Yeah, I was a pretty decent fella and I may have meant something to somebody along the way."

It might not be enough for you, but it works for me.
Your mileage may vary.
P
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 08:51 pm
Pauligirl wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I agree.

But there are consequences for your actions. I just don't think they emanate from some god-thingie.

If you are rotten to your friends, how long will they stick with you?
If you are nasty to your family, will they want you around?
Doesn't doing something nice for somebody make you feel like a better person?
What you have to look forward to is looking back over your life and being able to say, "Yeah, I was a pretty decent fella and I may have meant something to somebody along the way."

It might not be enough for you, but it works for me.
Your mileage may vary.
P

Maybe you do something despite the consequences... isn't that why you'd risk telling a friend she has bad breath or her husband's cheating on her or her kid's a brat?

Maybe you do it to be kind, in a tough-love kind of way, DESPITE the consequences.

Even though I believe every action we take has, basically, a selfish motive, sometimes we do something in spite of the consequences, or knowing them, but doing it anyway.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 09:47 am
ashers gets me. yes life is what you make it, but others peoples lives are influenced by our decisions. its a cause and effect sort of scenario i suppose. but what if that is the meaning? that maybe we are connecting with each other to accomplish some goal. maybe? no? ok then... Sad
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 01:11 am

i choose

i chose to be born, - to live or die,
Even the sex, that would be i;
i chose the race, from which to appear,
Also my wealth, my health and my fear.

i chose my trials and stumbling blocks,
And the legs i would use, in all of those walks;
i chose my sadness, my joy and my love,
i chose to serve and not be above.

i chose this life - with all of its dues,
And with each dawn, again i choose;
The experiences for me that wait ahead,
To be alive, or be claimed dead.

And of the future lives i've yet,
It is my choice that i begat;
All the things, however pleasin',
That shall befall me in those seasons.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:16 am
I voted no, rockpie. The ultimate goal of life is perfect understanding, because once you understand everything, you realize that the universe is in perfect harmony, and if you know that, then you know that it couldn't possibly be any other way- and if you know that, then everything suddenly goes exactly as planned. Perfect contentedness with the universe through understanding.

Or is this simply my meaning of life?
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 09:17 am
but the universe is far from harmonic. it's chaotic. how can you understand the totally unpredictable? there is no way we could understand everything in one lifetime.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 09:53 am
A Quote from a Movie:

"the devil's greatest achievement was in convincing people that he did not exist"

IMHO There is good and there is evil, The meaning of life is to discern between the two and choose the good. So reduced down not every choice you make is life changing but some are and the grade is P/F and there is a Higher Power.
0 Replies