Fetchall Revisited

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:13 am
No good deed goes unpunished....Craven, you've basically written my board from scratch - thank you yet again. So now i'll ask you to do more Smile
seriously, I've been trying to add the amount of posts that show up in the latest discussion, and I've spent about 20 minutes doing, err, nothing. I've changed the variables retrived by $recent and tried inputting hard numbers instead of variables - no luck. I see that the loop for latest discussion uses count($recent). I tried to hardwire in 10 instead of count($recent) and I did get 10 place holders, but only 5 had content - is there a variable someplace i have to change to make this show the last 10 posts in that column?
Thanks again and again and... Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,508 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:16 am
You mean the list right (on the right column)? Not the part that fetches the actual posts?
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:18 am
right - the box on the upper right that says, "latest discussion" and then lists the last 5 posts and the links to them
i've been checking includes/constants, etc. and can only wonder the trouble i'll get into Smile
UPDATE - FOUND IT in fetchall's posts - i changed the count from 5 to 10 and it worked - yippee! now to take out the number 10 in the loop and bring it back to the post count - this is all STARTING to make some sense....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:42 am
Ok, glad ya found it. Lemme know if you have any other questions. Fetch often confuses initially.

Later on I'll give you some cool code I wrote for it that will allow you to make a chat room etc.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:46 am
i'll take it Smile
actually some of the things on a2k are really pretty super, like that mini registration on the front page - funny, i used an anti-robotic registration when in reality i almost want all the registrants i can get!
i'm STARTING to get a feel for how phpbb does things...geez, when are you gonna right a book on this stuff already? Smile There are tons of books on php, but NONE on phpbb....something for someone to think about - even a cheap bum like me would buy it!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:48 am
I plan to write about phpbb but will, of course, give it away rather than sell it.

I'll get you the mini registration code too.

I'll also give you some other registration mods I like.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:55 am
Far too generous. Really, I couldn't accept. Okay, so where are they already? Smile

I didn't want to push my luck/doses of Craven - you've really done a lot for me already.
I do think a lot of the things I had wanted to do, and have no accomplished, would be similar to what many novice webmasters would like to accomplish, i.e. the fetchall front page the way we have it, and so on - nothing fancy, just a way to make the board accessible, clear, and easy to use.
Again, I'm surprised at how good fetchall is, while at the same time it was missing some essential things in its example (in my opinion, of course)
That was a major allure of fully modded - one stop shopping. and 500 stops for errors! Sad
are you familar with any docs on phpbb that explain what the functions do, how they're called, etc.?
obviously, from poking around, i've learned the function and importance of overall_header.tpl and overall_footer.tpl, for example, but other things are more of a trial and error thing - like glance to affect links and mouseovers, etc. - without a lot of time, (or talented help), it is daunting - i wanted my front page to say, under gadgetaddict, "We're almost there" - after a bunch of errors, i just wiped that out altogther (don't put it in, not important, but i thought it would be a 5 minute thing that turned into 20 minutes of deleting)
okay, end of rant....
0 Replies