Is this legal but dishonest or deceitfull?(UK)

Badboy

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 07:54 am
My brother wants to put the money from dad's estate into someone else name(himself?), so that it wouldn't effect my(and my brother's) social security, the idea being they would give me the money as time goes on.

One of my carers thinks it is dishonest,another person said it sounds deceitful.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 908 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 08:19 am
I don't know enough about your situation to comment, badboy.

It sounds as if your brother is trying to deceive the Social Security, but as I can only go by what you've posted, that's about all I can say.

Any other detail that you can divulge?

As far as moving family money around, all I can say is that it more often than not ends in tears and/or bad feeling.

Ask any solicitor and they will confirm this, I'll bet.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 08:42 am
THE IDEA IS THAT I WILL HAVE LESS THAN £6,000 IN THE BANK(tHE SOCIAL/income support GETS REDUCED AFTER £6,000).

They will pass along the money.

He(my able-bodied brother) says the government has too much money , anyway, so the government shouldn't get any of the money from dad's estate, neither should social services(although my social worker/care manager says they only charge for personal care,and I am not liable for charges(unless they changed their policy,of course!).

This brother is the one who says that if disabled people like me worked, taxes would go down!

(mind you he thought doing a monetized blog was silly idea`be sensible' he said.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 11:19 am
Talk to a solicitor.

And on the issue of "the idea being they would give me the money as time goes on," the money should be placed in a trust that would specify under what conditions the money should get paid to you "as time goes on." Unless you are comfortable with getting money at brother's discretion ... which means you should be comfortable with getting none at all. These things happen, you know.
0 Replies

Libcoesque

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 01:42 am
Badboy wrote:
THE IDEA IS THAT I WILL HAVE LESS THAN £6,000 IN THE BANK(tHE SOCIAL/income support GETS REDUCED AFTER £6,000).

They will pass along the money.

He(my able-bodied brother) says the government has too much money , anyway, so the government shouldn't get any of the money from dad's estate, neither should social services(although my social worker/care manager says they only charge for personal care,and I am not liable for charges(unless they changed their policy,of course!).

This brother is the one who says that if disabled people like me worked, taxes would go down!

(mind you he thought doing a monetized blog was silly idea`be sensible' he said.

I haven't reviewed UK laws, but where I live--this would be fraud.

I assume that your dad left his estate in equal shares to you and your brother. One half of the estate is yours and, regardless of whether you allow your share to be placed in someone else's name, you must report the full amount of your inheritance to the government. If you fail to do so, then you're the one who will be in trouble for collecting government benefits that you're not entitled to have until you have exhausted your own personal assets down to $6,000.

Even if you convey the money to your brother, it would be a fraudulent conveyance intended for the purpose of getting around government requirements. In the U.S., you're not allowed to give away your property to family/friends in order to qualify for government benefits based on need. Don't let your brother talk you into becoming a criminal. Doing something like this could really screw things up for you (but not for your brother because he'll have your money while the government has cut off your benefits for fraud and has brought criminal charges against you.)
0 Replies

tiddy

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 04:23 pm
hi there,i live in england and the law states u must declare all income and changes to circumstances.if u dent u could be liable for fraud charges and repayment of all money owed.i would go see a lawyer and get things dent legally.
0 Replies