Scanned Photos

Roberta

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 12:19 am
Yes, the computer noodnik is asking another question. I heard those footsteps beating a hasty retreat. I'm unfazed.

Let's assume that I can figure out how to scan a photograph from my printer/scanner so that the photo lands somewhere in my hard drive (a big assumption). Let's also assume that I can find where it lands (another big assumption). I name the file. And I want to post the photo here.

Let's assume I manage to accomplish all this (gigantic assumption). What's to keep someone from right-clicking on the photo and getting the url I assigned to the photo. Isn't that url in my computer? Can someone get into my computer through the url?

If this is a phenomenally stoopid question, just let me know. I won't be offended. I know that many people post personal photos here. I'm just wondering how to keep my computer secure.

Thanks. You computer people have been amazingly patient with me. I'm grateful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 959 • Replies: 13
No top replies

margo

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 12:46 am
G'day Roberta

I don't think you can load to A2K direct from your own computer. You have to upload to one of those hosting sites, and then link it in A2K. I'm doing that now for MsOlga.

A real person will be along soon to give a proper answer. At this time, however, there's mostly only us antipodeans (apart from sone night owls!)

Cheers
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 02:09 am
Roberta wrote:
Yes, the computer noodnik is asking another question. I heard those footsteps beating a hasty retreat. I'm unfazed.

Let's assume that I can figure out how to scan a photograph from my printer/scanner (What brand and model printer/scanner are you using? What software came with it?)so that the photo lands somewhere in my hard drive (a big assumption). (Here are the directories/places to look first in order of priority: /My Documents/My Pictures directory, /My Documents, /desktop, /<scanner> )Let's also assume that I can find where it lands (another big assumption). I name the file. And I want to post the photo here. (To post it here, you first need to post it elsewhere on a website or photo hosting service such as

Let's assume I manage to accomplish all this (gigantic assumption). What's to keep someone from right-clicking on the photo and getting the url I assigned to the photo. Isn't that url in my computer? Can someone get into my computer through the url? (No. You will be uploading the image file to a computer/server on the internet and they will assign the url based on their network and directory structure. All a URL does is tell you which website domain to connect to and where in their directory structure to find the file. When you register at a photo hosting site, a directory is created for you with your registration name or ID. Your photo files are stored there. The internet photo hosting site will need to connect to your computer and be given the directions to locate the image file on your computer and upload it. You'll do that by using the browse function on the photo hosting site to identify and locate the image file.)
If this is a phenomenally stoopid question, just let me know. I won't be offended. I know that many people post personal photos here. I'm just wondering how to keep my computer secure. (This is not a stupid question. More people should be conscious of the need for PC security and make an effort to understand how it is done.)

Thanks. You computer people have been amazingly patient with me. I'm grateful.

Most scanned images are huge in both dimension and file size. You'll need to trim the size and dimensions down before posting here. you can do that at the tinypic website. To do so follow the instructions someone posted previously in the how to post an image thread here. That explains how to use the tinypic service. It even gives instructions for how to link that image to a post here on A2K. The easy part is you've already done that once or twice further along in that thread.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 05:21 pm
It's a miracle! I'm in and able to post.

Thanks, butrfly, for your response. Not sure when I will be able to get around to doing this, but when I do, I'd like to be able to know what to do, so I appreciate your help.

In answer to your question, I have a Dell Photo All-In-One printer 924 with a CD called Drivers and Utilities and the printer name on it.

You're a brave soul--and a kind one for helping me. I'm borderline hopeless. Why borderline? I learned how to enter photos here. I'm teachable. Just very slow.

Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:10 am
I scanned a photo. I actually saw it in the computer. I can't figure out how to name it and put it in a file.

It's in the computer somewhere.

How do I find it? There's a thing called Dell All in One Studio and Dell Picture Studio. The photo was in one of those places. I named a folder, but I couldn't get the photo in the folder. In fact, I couldn't do anything but look at the photo.

It's a step. The photo is scanned.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 08:22 am
It's probably in a temp folder, without knowing anything else about what was done or what you saw.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:05 am
I'll scan again and make notes of what I see.

Thanks, Jes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:19 am
Can you open the scanner folder itself? The photo may just be sitting there waiting to be named (happened to me when I started - I re-scanned the same photo over and over, and then found 5 unnamed versions of it in the folder).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:43 am
There's a scanner folder? That's probably where the scanned photo is (I scanned it three times). I'll look around.

Thanks, kid.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 12:24 pm
From page 34 of your printer's manual (note: 94 page .pdf download):
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/292/924imgsvexr9.jpg
I don't have one of these critters, so I can't be real precise here, but I imagine when you get to the "Follow the instructions on your screen" bit, a box will open which leads you through the process of naming the image and saving it to a particular folder on your machine, prolly through offering you a dropdown navigation box. You might want first to create a subfolder within your "My Pictures" folder (usually at C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\My Documents\My Pictures) named something like "Scanned Images", and in future direct all scanned images to that folder. To create a subfolder within any folder, open the folder in which you want to create the subfolder, and either from that folder's toolbar click "File", select "Folder", select "New Folder", and name the new folder, or by right-clicking in any blank space within the folder in which you want to create a sub folder, selecting "New", selecting "Folder", and name the new folder.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 03:47 pm
Timber, I followed all the instructions. That's how I named the folder. The problem is the photo I scanned isn't in the folder.

I'll print out your message and try to follow the instructions when I scan the photo again.

Thanks for trying.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 04:36 am
Reporting back. Believe it or not, I figured out how to do this. I still need to work on making the photo smaller, but I managed to scan it, find it, name it, enter it at photobucket, and post it.

Is it a miracle? Damn near.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:04 am
T make photos smaller.
Try right click on the picture poit to <open> on the dropdown menu.
select <microsoft> ( I assume you have microsoft office)
Once picture manager opens look at the tool bar at the top
Click on <Edit> side bar will open on the right of screen.
select the option called <compress>
Select the <web> option
click the <OK> button lower down in the side bar.
close Microsoft picture manager. The program may ask you to <save> select yes.

you can also crop photos by selecting the crop option.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 11:44 am
dadpad. I already did the cropping. I'll try the compressing. Thanks mucho for the advice.
0 Replies