phpAdsNew and Fetch front page in php - some tips or help?

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 08:12 am
Hi gang!
Craven - you've gone way above and beyond the call with all that you've done for me. Which won't stop me from asking for more help! Smile
I've tried not to lean on you too much, and if you don't have the time, patience, inclination, or insert appropriate whatever here...

anyway, i spent a bit of time installing phpadsnew - the install wasn't bad. finding which f'ing file to point to was a bear (the docs assume too much)
anyway, now i'm trying to actually do some stuff with banners - and on my front page i was getting all sorts of header errors - whether i used javascript or php
i know, i should have cut and pasted the code or the errors - but anyway, i didn't know if there was a simple way to insert the code to avoid these problems - in other words, where does the code go?

btw - found a decent "walkthrough" at http://www.sitepoint.com/article/760/4 - it is a very basic, "Let's create a banner" - but then it doesn't say, "Okay gary, gimme your hand - now we'll cut the generated code and paste it here" - that's where i'm getting into trouble - phpadsnew is the most incredible ad program (or virtually any program i have seen) - Craven, you were right - this is like a phpbb just for ads - unbelievable! I do wonder if it is overkill for my simple needs, however it may be the easiest way to get ads on my front page.
choice # 2 for me would be to simply find a way to get the overall_header banner stuff into the front page, which i've tried in the past - generated errors as the ad management is not called until after the beginning (or entire) front page loads.
yikes!

UPDATE: I found a thread on phpbb that talks about the integration - i haven't tried it out yet - if you think it would be of interest i'd be happy to cut and paste the link or mod
Gary
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,226 • Replies: 1
No top replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:34 pm
okay - same topic, different question:
I have NOT installed the phpbb mods for phpadsnew yet - time just didn't allow it today. although i have had time to post and otherwise bs - guess my brain is frazzled.
Anyway, here's the question:
On one phpbb site, there is a list of say, 6 88 x 31 links. technically, can phpadsnew treat these links as banners, and rotate the selection? and if so, how hard do you think it would be to create a zone that is 2 wide by 3 long?
Similarly, on a phpbb site, when they have a featured article, they have 2 boxes at the top of the screen that also act like banners, advertising the article - i suppose phpadsnew can handle that easily.
So here's the other question: let's say you decide you want a zone, whether it's the 2 x 3 links, or just an ad someplace - i know phpadsnew will generate the invocation code (i love that word!) - how do you specify exactly where it will go? is that with html tables?

Recap:
1) can phpadsnew handle grouped zones (like a 2x3 table of 88x31 links)?
2) how do you get those zones where you want them on the page?

Thanks!
Gary
p.s. seems quiet in this forum when i'm not asking for help.... Smile
0 Replies