Can a Muslim be a Good American?

baddog1

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 09:40 am
This text was sent to my by email and was copy/pasted by me. I profess to know very little about the Muslim faith and would enjoy comments as to the claims made by this email.

This is something I've wondered about for some time now: How & why do the Muslims hate us & everyone else so much? Doesn't their God teach them to love?

I sent that question to a friend who worked in Saudi Arabia for 20 years.

The following is his reply:

Theologically - no. Because his allegiance is to Allah, the moon god of Arabia.

Religiously - no. Because no other religion is accepted by his Allah except Islam (Quran, 2:256)

Scripturally - no. Because his allegiance is to the five pillars of Islam and the Quran (Koran).

Geographically - no. Because his allegiance is to Mecca, to which he turns in prayer five times a day.

Socially - no. Because his allegiance to Islam forbids him to make friends with Christians or Jews.

Politically - no. Because he must submit to the mullah (spiritual leaders), who teach annihilation of Israel and Destruction of America, the great Satan.

Domestically - no. Because he is instructed to marry four women and beat and scourge his wife when she disobeys him (Quran 4:34).

Intellectually - no. Because he cannot accept the American Constitution since it is based on Biblical principles and he believes the Bible to be corrupt.

Philosophically - no. Because Islam, Muhammad, and the Quran do not allow freedom of religion and expression. Democracy and Islam cannot co-exist. Every Muslim government is either dictatorial or autocratic

Spiritually - no. Because when we declare "one nation under God," the Christian's God is loving and kind, while Allah is NEVER referred to as heavenly father, nor is he ever called love in The Quran's 99 excellent names.

Therefore after much study and deliberation....perhaps we should be very suspicious of ALL MUSLIMS in this country They obviously cannot be both "good" Muslims and good Americans.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,472 • Replies: 40
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 09:44 am
Oh good grief!

Just the first one, for starters. Allah IS God -- the very same god that Christians and Jews refer to, just a different language. Muslims think that Moses and Jesus were both prophets, it's just that they think Mohammed was a prophet, too. Islam adds to what Moses and Jesus say, but they think the same god was talking to all three of them.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:12 am
I double that Good Grief!

What about Christians?

Theologically - no. they owe their alligiance to Jesus

Religiously - no. no other religion is correct and no one is saved unless a christion, per the bible/new testament

Scripturally - no, see above

Geographically - no, allegiance to their places of worship, camps, etc.

Socially - no, how well can you become friends with someone when you are convinced they are damned?

Politically - no, they must submit to Jesus, rather than their country

etc. etc.

I'm not smart enough to go through each point, but I know one exists for each one.

What a dope.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:27 am
I think that the fundamentalist extremists of just about any faith exhibit an obsessive religiocentricity. Right now, because of political reasons, Americans tend to be wary of Muslims, probably because of the screwball faction. Those few people (in proportion to the total population of Muslims) have caused a lot of strife and horror in this world, and people are frightened. Fear begets hatred.

I would expect though, that the vast majority of Muslims are good people who just want to live the lives according to their faith,to live and let live, and not be a bother to other people.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:41 am
There's no such thing as a good american, even though there are plenty of good people in america.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 01:35 pm
How about this.

Resonable people can understand that the list is based on some pretty false premises, and one can hopefully see how it's incorrect.

But, because I personally can answer that YES, muslims can make good Americans, I will.

One of my roomates is Muslim, he is from From Malasia. He functions very naturally here. He hangs out with us, watches the same movies, plays the same games, listens to Nirvana, etc. He prays 5 times a day, he has a very nice relationship with another of my roomates who is a very devoted Christian.

The answer is YES, no speculation needed for me.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 02:43 pm
Thank you for that, Diest TKO.

I know a few muslims -- none of them have horns on their heads or forked tails.

Personally, I think that a good person is an asset to any community no matter what their religious affiliation is.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 02:51 pm
The Constitution is based on Biblical principals?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 03:00 pm
boomerang wrote:
The Constitution is based on Biblical principals?

As much as I agree with you that it's not, I encourage people to not change topic.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 03:03 pm
I was simply pointing out one of the stupidest comments from the original post:

Quote:
Intellectually - no. Because he cannot accept the American Constitution since it is based on Biblical principles and he believes the Bible to be corrupt.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 03:43 pm
Quote:
The President of Indonesia is the head of state, commander-in-chief of the Indonesian armed forces, and responsible for domestic governance, policy-making and foreign affairs. The president appoints a council of ministers, who are not required to be elected members of the legislature. ... Presidential terms are five years and limited to a maximum of two consecutive terms.[30]

The highest representative body at national level is the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR). Its main functions include supporting and amending the Constitution, inauguration of the President and the fomalization of broad outlines of state policy; MPR has the power to impeach the President.[31] MPR contains two lower house of representatives: the People's Representative Council (DPR) with 550 members and the Regional Representatives Council (DPD) with 168 members.

The Indonesia judicial system comprises several courts; the highest is the Supreme Court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia

The constitutional government of Indonesia sounds very similar to the US.
But then, they are only the largest Muslim country on the planet.

Can the person that sent you this email be a good American?

Intellectually? A resounding NO!!.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:57 pm
sozobe wrote:
Oh good grief!

Just the first one, for starters. Allah IS God -- the very same god that Christians and Jews refer to, just a different language. Muslims think that Moses and Jesus were both prophets, it's just that they think Mohammed was a prophet, too. Islam adds to what Moses and Jesus say, but they think the same god was talking to all three of them.

This is incorrect. The God of the Christians is Jesus Christ.

Muslims do NOT worship Christ or consider Him to be God in any sense of the word.

Christians do NOT believe that God spoke to or through Mohammed.

Neither group believes that they are worshipping 'the same God, just using a different name.'
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 12:23 am
But ALL abrahamic faiths subscribe to the same entity creating the universe; God.

Same even if by a different name.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 01:10 am
real life wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Oh good grief!

Muslims do NOT worship Christ or consider Him to be God in any sense of the word.

Neither group believes that they are worshipping 'the same God, just using a different name.'

True, we pray to the God of Jesus (PBUH). The God he prayed to and the God he told all his followers to worship as well. Jesus (PBUH) never claimed to be God - he was a Prophet that was no more than a mortal who ate and slept as we did.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 03:02 am
A whole lot of misinformation gets forwarded in emails. This one is full of it.

There was similar concern when John F. Kennedy was running for president that as a Catholic, he would owe allegiance to the Pope.

I wonder if the writer thinks we should be suspicious of African-American and other home-grown Muslims?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:42 am
'Course we Jews couldn't possibly be good Americans. You know, not supporting the hog farmers and all.

Oopsie, we've been here since before the Revolution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_the_United_States#American_Revolution_--_Sephardic_Jews:_First_Wave
And have made a buncha contributions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Americans

I guess that blows that theory. As for the Muslims, I'm sure that the vast, vast majority of 'em are and will be fine citizens of the US or any other country. And, as they are here longer and longer and there are more and more of 'em here, they will make as greater or an even greater a mark, given a chance. Just like everyone else in the world can. What a freakin' concept.

'Course they don't support the hog farmers, either. Sorry, hog farmers.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:38 am
I must say that Muhammad Ali fella seems alright.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:39 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
real life wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Oh good grief!

.....Jesus (PBUH) never claimed to be God ......

The entire New Testament, including Christ's own words, present Him to be God.

You don't believe He is, but that is the teaching of the NT, and of Jesus Himself.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 12:38 am
"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
-John 14:6

"And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life."
-John 5:11-12 NKJV

Seems like an issue with the pronouns to me. I'm my own grandpa.

I don't think Jesus was claiming to be god, as much as a relative. There may exist versus that are contrary to what I posted, but this took all of 3 minute to find and there were plenty more.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 12:32 am
Raul,

A few examples from the NT, that Jesus is presented therein as God.

Mark 2:5When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.

6But there was certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,

7Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

8And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?

9Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?

10But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)

11I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.

12And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.

----------------------------------------

John 14:6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

7If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

8Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

9Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

-------------------------------------------

1 John 5:20And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
0 Replies