supernatural force

ll333

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 07:29 pm
I'm not sure if God exists or not- I had doubts about his existence since my bad experience with the supernatural forces in December 2005- but whether God exists or not I think the supernatural may exist. Maybe there is a supernatural powerful force which exists but it's not the God in the Bible. The God of the Bible probably doesn't exist but another supernatural force does. This supernatural force answers prayers. Am I right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,895 • Replies: 35
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 11:53 am
If you pray to it, is it not a God or one of his ambassadors?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 01:14 pm
No supernatural force existe. There may be incomprehensible forces of dizzying magnitudes, which are quite beyond us to even begin to understand, but they would be natural, not supernatural.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 04:13 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
No supernatural force existe. There may be incomprehensible forces of dizzying magnitudes, which are quite beyond us to even begin to understand, but they would be natural, not supernatural.

Hmmm - please explain further!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 05:06 pm
I simply mean that nature itself is "miraculous" enogh to suit any creational fetish if you ask me. Why invoke the supernatural when we don't even know the full extent of what's natural.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:36 pm
As I see it, "supernatural" denotes the opposite of natural, and "natural" denotes the opposite of supernatural. Those are their only meanings.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 12:43 am
Or supernatural implies beyond nature itself. Sound spectacular, but I think we can find the limit of wonder amongst reality, no need for beyond.

What I'm saying is, What is real in this universe already supercedes our comprehesion. To be supernatural would be redundant.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 04:59 am
Diest

That is the point I'm trying to make also.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 03:54 pm
Yes, important point, Cryacuz and Diest. I am just saying that "supernatural" has no meaning apart from "natural", and vice versa. This is pure conception. In reality there is neither. There is just what is, and the dichotomy in question is a philosophically unnecessary addition.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:21 pm
Agreed.
0 Replies

ll333

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 04:15 am
What is the explanation of these creepy paranormal stories:

http://paranormal.about.com/library/blstories07.htm
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 01:30 am

su·per·nat·u·ral (sū'pər-năch'ər-əl)
adj.

Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.

Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces.

Of or relating to a deity.

Of or relating to the immediate exercise of divine power; miraculous.

Of or relating to the miraculous.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 10:55 pm
11333, your link reveals marvelously how the "supernatural" and "paranormal" are fictions underpinning an industry of scary made-up tales.
By the way, the term, UFO, with all its scary undertones means no more than "unidentified flying object." One sees them all the time UNTIL they are identified. If they are not identified or identifiable that speaks only to our technical limitations, not some imputation of their nature or origins.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 10:55 pm
11333, your link reveals marvelously how the "supernatural" and "paranormal" are fictions underpinning an industry of scary made-up tales.
By the way, the term, UFO, with all its scary undertones means no more than "unidentified flying object." One sees them all the time UNTIL they are identified. If they are not identified or identifiable that speaks only to our technical limitations, not some imputation of their nature or origins.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 02:29 pm
Re: supernatural force
One God is as good as another... If it answers prayers, then it is God.

But how often are your prayers answered?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 10:01 pm
How can we distinguish between a phenomenon that is "supernatural" and one that is "natural" but at present inexplicable?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 05:31 am
We can't.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 06:32 am
Sometimes I just think...
we're on a ball of elements, held there by an invisible force, hurtling through space at unimaginable speed...

Yeah - that's something- "super" or not.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 05:26 pm
Cryacuz, I wonder if perhaps we have a similar problem (as we do with the notion of natural and supernatural) between the apparently absolute differentiation we normally make between the "real" and the "illusory". While I do recognize a practical difference, e.g. the difference between the mirage of a body of water and an actual body of water. When we look at them with reference to the ontological issue of reality versus unreality, we must recognize that a mirage IS REAL; it's a real mirage. But we must not misinterpret its nature to conclude that we can swim in it or drink from it. EVERYTHING we experience is real--a real experience. It's the ontological stature we ascribe to it that is problematical.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:32 am
I understande JL.

When we question the reality of something it is usually it's classification and categorization we doubt.

Like you said, a mirage of a water spring is real. A real mirage. But it is not a water spring.

Another consideration is the boundaries between what is real and what is imagined. Many things that are generally accepted to be real today begun as fantasies. That is, the reality of the given thing transformed from reality as an idea to the idea manifesting as something real in the physical world.
While the idea of artificial beings is very old, a writer named Karel Capek introduced the word "robot" in 1920, a term that was fictional at the time. Today robots are everywhere.

So we see that the drives of our fantasy and imagination, forces that spawn things that are generally considered to be not-real, play a significant role in shaping reality and the course it takes.
This only goes to strengthen your assertation that there may not be an absolute differentiation between "real" and "illusory".
0 Replies