Timberland, we have a problem

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:11 pm
starting about mid-morning today my scroll bar doesnt work, whatever icon on my desktop I click on takes me only to my ISP (comcast) my tool bar doesn't work, I restored to yesterday but dosn't seem to make a difference, I ran virus sacan and spybot, no help.
Your frined in need THE DYS (keep in mind I am an idiot) and I don't have good access to a2k at the moment. (Diane still does)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,115 • Replies: 17
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:30 pm
Perhaps I could walk you through this, dys.

Or would you rather wait for Timber?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:35 pm
What operating system?

Do you have an actual install disk for it - not a manufacturor's "Restore" disk, but an actual Windows disk?

Have you installed or uninstalled any programs recently?
Have you tried an earlier restore point (assuming you're running ME or XP)?

Do you have ready access to another working computer?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:36 pm
Oh. Ok, you take it, Timber.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 07:09 pm
timberlandko wrote:
What operating system?

Do you have an actual install disk for it - not a manufacturor's "Restore" disk, but an actual Windows disk?

Have you installed or uninstalled any programs recently?
Have you tried an earlier restore point (assuming you're running ME or XP)?

Do you have ready access to another working computer?
I run both firefox and ie 6 and am getting the same error messages on both.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 05:33 am
I'd like to know what operating system you're using, Dys - what version of Windows.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 02:54 pm
xp pro/media
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 04:02 pm
OK - XP. Am I correct in assuming evrything except for internet is working correctly? If so, with no other windows open or browsers, eMail, or chat/messaging clients running, try Start>Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options>"Advanced" tab, locate "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" (NOT "Restore advanced settings"), then click-and-confirm "Reset...", then reboot.

Lemme know what happens, or if I'm incorrect about the problem being only with accessing the internet.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 01:13 pm
If it is as it sounds, and only your internet is not working.... It's been disconnected. The reason you are being shunted to the ISP page is because you're been disconnected from the internet and now can only access their INTRAnet. It's sending you to their page so you can order new service. (My ISP, charter does the same thing). Call your cable company.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 01:42 pm
Actually, I do have internet service and after fooling around I got IE to work but firefox barely works and only after waiting for several minutes for a page to load.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 01:48 pm
Dys, did you try what I suggested ABOVE?

Another question - is the problem across all websites - affecting both Firefox and IE anywhere you go on the web, or is it mostly just here at A2K? I ask that because A2K has been having server-related problems for quite a while now, and while steps are being taken to try to remedy them, overall consistent improvement is still not quite here yet.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 04:36 pm
not a2k related, seems only to be firefox.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 04:49 pm
Well, tweaking and fiddling with Firefox can be done - but mebbe it'd be easier to just uninstall your present Firefox (through Add/Remove Programs), then download a fresh copy and reinstall it, setting everything to default to start with when you do the fresh install. Sometimes its better just to do away with a problem than to try to fix it.

If you go that way, I suggest that after you uninstall your current Firefox, you use CCleaner to clean up after the uninstall; use both the standard cleanup and the "Issues" cleanup -See This. When that's been done, reboot, then locate and install your fresh copy of Firefox and lemme know what happens.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 05:20 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Well, tweaking and fiddling with Firefox can be done - but mebbe it'd be easier to just uninstall your present Firefox (through Add/Remove Programs), then download a fresh copy and reinstall it, setting everything to default to start with when you do the fresh install. Sometimes its better just to do away with a problem than to try to fix it.

If you go that way, I suggest that after you uninstall your current Firefox, you use CCleaner to clean up after the uninstall; use both the standard cleanup and the "Issues" cleanup -See This. When that's been done, reboot, then locate and install your fresh copy of Firefox and lemme know what happens.

I had 2 versions of firefox listed and only one would uninstall.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 05:25 pm
thanks Timber, I am now a-ok (for the moment)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 05:25 pm
Try the CCleaner approach I recommended.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 05:46 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Try the CCleaner approach I recommended.
just did that, thanks again.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 06:18 pm
Yer weccum.
0 Replies