Mel Gibson's The Passion, sparking concern from the ADL.

seb

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:58 am
Sofia - I hear you loud and clear, and if my premature (or immature) statement was taken as such, that's my fault - but I hope I've made it clear that that's not what I had intended.

As for the ADL, their statements have been pretty foolish. Their complaint of this movie (without having seen it) is that it will cause viewers to look at Jews as "Christ killers". Mel Gibson's answer to that speaks for itself (paraphrasing): 'Yes, there are people who will likely be upset. But I am going to tell the story as it is written. I didn't make up the story!'

That is honesty, and that is what's lacking today. I believe he and all other movie makers should just tell it like it is. The topic is a great topic and should be told the way it was written. The ADL sent Gibson a letter asking that he not portray the Jews as they are depicted in the Gospels - i.e., as having virtually nothing to do with Christ's death because it was really the Romans in control.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 12:53 pm
Questioning a filmmakers motives and calling for the film's censorship are two different things altogether. I've read all kinds of books that I think are garbage for one reason or another, but I'm not going down to the library to burn copies of them.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:39 pm
I thought the premise was that a leather-clad fellow on a souped-up camel was going to rescue Christ and lead the Romans on a high-speed chase in the desert. Isn't this 'Mad Max 4: The Messiah's Incredible High-Speed Chase in the Desert'.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:30 am
I like it, Mr S! I enjoyed the first few Mad Max films. This new Gibson project sounded kind of heavy-handed, but if it involves high-speed chases involving thugs in crazy uniforms, I'm there!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:37 am
Yee haw, Still's got a future in filum makin' for sure ! ! !
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:41 am
Will Danny Glover be there, saying "I'm not even born yet, and I'm already too old for this shite."
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:41 am
?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:36 am
Let's see, maybe the guy who rode in the gyro-copter in "Road Warrior" could be the Holy Ghost...And the good-lookin' woman warrior who dies heroically could be resurrected as Mary Magdelene.

I'm just thinking out loud here...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:41 am
Theme song: We Don't Need Another Savior

I toyed with "We Don't Need Another Gyro," but I couldn't find a way to make it work.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:44 am
I like "We Don't Need Another Savior", patiodog. Plus, Mel is trying to be traditional in his theology, so the theme is appropriate for him...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:54 pm
Then fer a wrap-up, we could have System of a Down doin' their Chop Suey finale:

Father
Father
Father
Father
Father into your hands, i commend my spirit
Father into your hands
Why have you forsaken me
In your mind forsaken me
In your thought forsaken me
In your heart for
Saken
Me
Oh
Trust
In
My
Self-righteous suicide
I
Cry
When angels deserve to die . . .
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 05:25 pm
Capturing the passion

A new film by Mel Gibson, to be released next year, depicts Jesus' last few hours. Jews and Catholics are raising concerns about its potential for stoking anti-Semitism.

By Jane Lampman | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

The last time Mel Gibson felt really passionate about directing a film he won the Oscar, and "Braveheart" became a global blockbuster. This time it's a more personal passion: a movie arising out of a rediscovery of his faith. Without studio backing - he's funding it himself - he hopes his film on the last hours of Jesus' life will have a much greater impact. "My hope is that this movie has a ... message of tremendous courage and sacrifice [and] that it will affect people on a profound level and somehow change them," he recently told a Christian website.

“'The Passion' is a film meant to inspire, not offend. My intention in bringing it to the screen is ... to engender serious thought among audiences of diverse faith backgrounds.... This is a movie about faith, hope, love and forgiveness - something sorely needed in these turbulent times.”
– Mel Gibson
CORRADO GIAMBALVO/AP
While the movie is not quite in final shape, "The Passion" already has had an unforseen impact - stirring concerns about the potential of this latest version of the passion play to provoke anti-Semitism.
"He's an international icon and does movies which deliver messages that reach the world, so it's of great concern," says Abraham Foxman, director of the Anti-Defamation League.
ADL and an ad hoc group of Jewish and Catholic scholars have stirred debate over "The Passion" by reviewing a "leaked" early version of the screenplay. What they read prompted an 18-page report sent to Gibson and a public airing of their concern.

CONTINUED
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:28 pm
I can easily understand how people of the Jewish faith can be very sensitive to anti-semitism, considering their treatment over the past centuries. And unfortunately, all too often, this bad treatment has been at the hands of people claiming to be Christians (but certainly not following Christ's teachings).

To a Christian, the answer of who crucified Jesus is simple. I did. Christ died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sins. Each individual person of the Jewish faith is no more responsible, and no less responsible for the death of Christ than I am.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:45 pm
I am not religious. However, if there did exist a Jesus, and if he had been crucified, everyone responsible for the act would be doing the will of God without which the fulfilment of God's plan could not have been possible. Which, viewed from that perspective, makes them exempt from condemnation, starting with Judas and the ones paying him, through Pilot and the ones who constructed the cross and pinned him to it.
0 Replies

seb

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:31 pm
Jim and Edgar - two fantastic and absolutely dead on perfect responses to those preparing to criticize this movie. The story of the Passion is what it is, and when taken in the perspective from which you both pose, one cannot justifiably complain or criticize.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:42 pm
Yeah. I love Biblical movies, whether hokey or serious. I don't mind that all of them are from a point of view running counter to my personal beliefs. So what? It's good fun to see what the film makers come up with.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 04:17 am
What I'd like to think that if the same film-makers had access to the archival footage of the actual event, it would be a little like this:

"That Messiah fellow, could we make him a little LESS Jewish?"
"Not enough people in the crowd, get some extras"
"Those 30 silver pieces. Could it be passed in a metal briefcase?"
"That Mary Magdelene, now it says she WAS a prostitute. Couldn't she dress a bit more like a hooker?"
"Get rid of the donkey. Get a friggin' horse, for chrissakes!"
"When Simon cuts the ear off that fellow. It would have more impact if it was with a samurai sword"
"The Last Supper thing. Could there be a table full of branded products? Coke would go for that. And would it kill anyone to actually smoke in this pic?"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:15 am
I think every member of the JDL who has any access to the media, who has ever used such access, should be made to watch the movie five times, without popcorn or soda, before being allowed to make any further statements on the subject. No Mike & Ikes, either.
0 Replies

drew77

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 01:46 pm
A few misunderstandings
Yes this is my first post... use it for a comeback if you like.

At times I think it's rather strange there would be such strong protest to this movie. But every Christian knows the real reason and doesn't let it phase them. It's to be expected actually. Especially if the director is aiming for the most accurate depiction of this story using the biblical texts.

But if there is anyone here who thinks his motives are anti-semitic, they literally have little understanding of the subject. In fact contrary to what a lot people believe, Christians, are at the end of the day, in defence of Jewish people.

If this movie causes a "wave of anti-semitism", then all I can say is those that perpetrate this wave are anti-semitic from the beginning and are looking for excuses to do it.

This was a brutal killing. Do we label a nation and expect them to take the blame for it? No. As was stated above we are all to blame. Romans 3:23 "...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," and Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." This describes the true belief Christians have. This text reduces everyone down to the same level. Not perfect.

He has continually stated "This film is about faith, hope, love and forgiveness. These are things that the world could use more of, particularly in these turbulent times." Who can disagree with this statement?

Anyway, out of interest... Dishonest Reporting 'Award' for 2002
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 02:06 pm
WELCOME TO A2K, DREW77!!!

Your comment--
In fact contrary to what a lot people believe, Christians, are at the end of the day, in defence of Jewish people.

If this movie causes a "wave of anti-semitism", then all I can say is those that perpetrate this wave are anti-semitic from the beginning and are looking for excuses to do it.
---------------
I agree completely.
0 Replies