El Laberinto del Fauno (no spoiler)

stuh505

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 09:47 am
Also known as "Pan's Labyrinth" in the US (although this seems to be an incorrect translation because it has nothing to do with the faun Pan from Greek mythology)

Anyway, I'm not going to spoil it, but the movie is pretty good. The interesting thing about it is the dual storyline between a young girl's fairy tail adventure and the grim realities after the Spanish Civil War. The fairy tale side of things can be viewed as an imaginary escapism or as reality because it does affect the real world in the movie. I assume this was done intentionally. Oh, also note that it is subtitled.

Oh yeah, and the R rating is there with good cause because there are a few pretty disturbingly violent scenes. This is actually a bit surprising, because I would expect the makers to now want to push away the younger audience who will naturally be attracted to the fairytale story. But it's not just for kids.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 695 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 08:57 pm
Great film. Magical and sad.
I wasn't a Del Toro fan. Now I am.

Sergi Lopez makes a great character. The Captain is a believable, all too human, real life monster. Makes you prefer the fairy tale monsters. And the girl is lovable.

I went with my wife to see it (it's B-15 here, means kids are allowed in, with parents), and was glad we didn't bring our daughter -almost 13 then-. A fairy tale, a girl in the woods near her home, but no Alice in Wonderland.

No actual gore, but lots of (real life) violence.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 12:39 am
Quote:
No actual gore, but lots of (real life) violence.

Well, there's some gore...the scene with the "bottle" was really horrific. Yeesh.
0 Replies