Lawyer willing to make suggestions for A2K readers - read on

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 02:56 pm
Hi Gang!
I read the disclaimer for this section, so I am not willing to give out legal advise - or at least, if I do, it has nothign to do with the staff at Able2know and any accuracies or inaccuracies are solely by moi.
Why am I throwing out this "offer?" Well, Craven de Kere has spent HOURS helping me with my site, by posting code, debugging code i've posted, etc. - so in short, karma, conscience, and guilt have all conspired to say, "Gar ol' boy, what have you done for this site?"
I am a litigator based in New York City and New Jersey. I don't know spit about domestic law, know only a drop about bankruptcy (not much), in short, I know about litigation, accident cases, lawsuits, medical malpractice (heck, for that matter, i have more medical dictionaries than I can count!) - so anyway, if someone has a need that i may be able to answer or direct, feel free to ask away (within the parameters allowed by this site).
To recap - we're not responsbile for anything (not me, and not the staff of the site - i'm not a member of the staff), and also bear in mind there is NO attorney-client priviledge between any communication on this board - heck, if anyone can read it, there's no attorney client priviledge at all!
One of my favorite things (that you dont' need to be a lawyer to do) is get full recourse when I use my credit card - guy tries to screw me over on e-bay? it goes to e-bay's safe harbor, and credit card vendor dispute. TV doesn't work and store won't take it back? Vendor dispute. Paid cash? Then you're out of luck.
Okay, end of rant Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,386 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Rae

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:30 pm
Jeez! Thanks, gadgetaddict!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:34 pm
What type of law do you deal with gadget?
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:07 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
What type of law do you deal with gadget?

i'm the most vile type of lawyer: one who tells horrible jokes. but seriously folks, i'm a litigation attorney - which sounds a lot better than, "
Plaintiff's personal injury."
and no, i'm not an ambulance chaser - i do my best to get there BEFORE the ambulance Smile
So to practice negligence properly, you actually have to know a bit about insurance, landlord/tenant, corporations, medicine, litigation, and maybe even a tad of negotiation Smile
so i hold myself out to offer help in these areas - if a need arises outside that scope, i can try to direct the poor soul - if help is needed in these areas, well, see the caveat i posted earlier in this section, and that A2K and myself are NOT responsible for any erroneous or just plain bad advise I gave.
That being said, here's a free bit of advise: You sir, over there in the bowtie - please do not wear black socks with sneakers. Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:14 am
gadget, I used to do insurance defense work in NY (it's been quite a while since I practiced - eek, 13 years and change).

We should take opposite sides of some legal debate some time. Could be fun.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:40 am
Hi Jespah! I haven't chatted with you since i joined (some 50 or so posts to the web development section earlier) Smile
Although I was never hired directly by insurance carriers to do defense work, I had been hired by several to do depositions - about 5 or 600 -
from the plaintiff's standpoint, the carriers hold the money, and the defense attorneys are in the way of me, err, my client getting their money.
from a practical standpoint, if it weren't for the plaintiffs, there would not be much need for defense counsel, or most of the adjusters...some know that and agree, some bust my chops and say i shouldn't even have pursued the case (at which point, they would have that much less work).
okay, enough back patting Smile
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:41 am
gadgetaddict wrote:
That being said, here's a free bit of advise: You sir, over there in the bowtie - please do not wear black socks with sneakers. Smile

M-O-M! He's pointin' at me! Shocked

lmao
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:50 am
fishin' wrote:
gadgetaddict wrote:

M-O-M! He's pointin' at me! Shocked

lmao

<Rodney Dangerfield voice & eyes> - but on you they look good! - no offense! Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:54 am
Lot's an lot's of members at the site have greviously wounded me in my self-love . . . how much can we get out of them?
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:57 am
gazilions! first we must start a class. as i have no class, someone else will have to do it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 07:01 am
Heh, thanks gadget! And without plaintiffs, there probably wouldn't be seatbelts or air bags.

And without the defense, more runaway verdicts. The yin and the yang. The oil and the vinegar. The Abbott and the Costello. :-D

Or, something like that.

My focus, way back when, was product liability. I handled a lot of permanent wave cases, probably more because I was the only woman in the prods. liab. department than for any other reason. Also did a buncha construction cases - all of the mess from the LIRR and shopping malls and the like. Oh, and the law's bread and butter - auto accidents and slips and falls. I think I could probably still do a fall or auto case EBT (that's a deposition for those of you outside the US) on the fly....

"May I draw your attention to __(date)___, was there an incident?"
"And what did this incident entail?"
"How many vehicles were involved?"
"Were you one of the drivers?" etc.

Gawd, it's like riding a bike. It all comes back.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:18 pm
"May I draw your attention to __(date)___, was there an incident?"
"And what did this incident entail?"
"How many vehicles were involved?"
"Were you one of the drivers?" etc.

Gawd, it's like riding a bike. It all comes back.

-----
i'm terrible with quotes on the replies -sorry.
anyway, now you got me started - so stand back! Smile
you are going the high route - the depositions usually go more like this:
(after the reporter gets the name and address, and even before that, everyone agrees to standard stips (which are different from each reporting company!) :
preamble, i.e. i'm going to be nice before i shtuff you in the tuchas real hard.
then i (and many other lawyers) like to ask if they were involved in an accident, and when they say yes, what date. As if them not knowing the date lessens the case. I get all warm and fuzzy when instead they ask my client, "Were you involved in an accident on <insert date>"
The, "What did the incident entail" part - objection - calls for a narrative response - although if i'm tired, hungry or bored, or i think the client can answer alright then i'll allow it, otherwise i make the adversary work for their money...when you're using an interpreter, though, you do anything you can to finish up....
how many vehicles - yup, valid question. never the word crash, but rather "impact" or "did your vehicle come into contact with another vehicle?" at which point you either get a yes, or a "huh?" and you have to rephrase
I NEVER use prior or subsequent - amazing how many liars do! simple is the key - before or after...
my favorite objections: 1) hearsay - you NEVER hear anyone object to these during the deposition (because a lot of the time you have hacks). and we can have a nice long post about hearsay
favorite objection 2) "So, is it fair to say..." at which point I object before even getting to the next part - I hate those, and I won't allow a shyster, err, fellow barrister to put words into my client's mouth when they do the ol' "fair to say" and summarize the last few responses, and for that matter, who says what is fair? that's a jury question (i think) so i just don't allow the fair to say schpiel.

Products liab - I've done the groundwork on those - VERY COMPLICATED, VERY EXPENSIVE to prosecute - now if i get a products case (very rare) I call Anthony Gair - have you worked opposite him? Top notch fellow.

Geez, I hate practicing law. But it's better than screwing up my phpbb board Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 04:18 pm
Dunno Anthony Gair. Like I said, it's been quite a while since I did this. I used to mainly go to Nassau, Suffolk and Queens counties.

Oh yeah, prior and subsequent - what a waste o' syllables! I noticed that the folks who used those words had, for whatever reason, a burning desire to show everyone how educated they were. More than one witness gave them the blank stare back - sheesh, ya gonna try to impress or try to get info with which to win the case?

Hey there's nothing wrong with narrative responses ('least not that I can remember) - isn't the only legit objection under usual stips the ever-popular form objection?

Okay, we've now lost the rest of the audience.

What scares me is, I thought I'd purged all this stuff from my memory. Aak! Delete delete delete!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 01:37 am
Found this joke in today's LangaList:

Quote:
A very successful lawyer parked his brand-new Lexus in front of his office, ready to show it off to his colleagues. As he got out, a truck passed too close and completely tore off the door on the driver's side. The lawyer immediately grabbed his cell phone, dialed 911, and within minutes a policeman pulled up. Before the officer had a chance to ask any questions, the lawyer started screaming hysterically. His Lexus, which he had just picked up the day before, was now completely ruined and would never be the same, no matter what the body shop did to it.

When the lawyer finally wound down from his ranting and raving, the officer shook his head in disgust and disbelief... "I can't believe how materialistic you lawyers are," he said. "You are so focused on your possessions that you don't notice anything else."

"How can you say such a thing?" asked the lawyer.

The cop replied, "Don't you know that your left arm is missing from the elbow down? It must have been torn off when the truck hit you."

"Oh my God!" screamed the lawyer. "Where's my Rolex?"
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:00 am
the joke - an oldie but a goodie!
okay, now that you've gotten me started:

What's the difference between a lawyer and sperm?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:02 am
gadgetaddict wrote:

Something to do with prick I am sure Laughing
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:04 am
now now....
give up?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:05 am
yep
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:06 am
Gautam wrote:
gadgetaddict wrote:

Something to do with prick I am sure Laughing

Sperm has a 1 in a million chance of being a human.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:22 am
LOL !! Me and my dirty mind
0 Replies