Do you believe in ANGELS...? Ever seen one...?

George

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 02:44 pm
It was written of St. Theresa of Avila that when she complained to God
about her troubles, God answered "Teresa, that's how I treat my friends."
Teresa responded, "If that's how you treat your friends, it's no wonder
you have so few of them."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 08:28 pm
Yeah? Written where?
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:24 am
Not in that paper back called the Bible. I'm sure George would of found it in some more recent edition of a paper back.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 02:08 am
I am an old woman
Named after my mother
An old man is another
Child whos grown old

If dreams were thunder
Lightning was desire
This old house it wouldve burned down
A long time ago

Make me an angel
That flies from montgomery
Make me a poster
Of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing
That I can hold on to
To believe in this livin
Is just a hard way to go

When I was a young girl
I had me a cowboy
It wasnt much to look at
It was a free ramblin man
There was a long time
No matter how I tried
The years they just rolled by
Like a broken down dance

Make me an angel
Make me a poster
Of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing
That I can hold on to
To believe in this livin
Is just a hard way to go

Theres flies in the kitchen
I can hear them there buzzin
And I aint done nothing since I woke up today
But how the hell can a person
Go on to work in the morning
To come home in the evening
And have nothing to say

Make me an angel
Make me a poster
Of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing
That I can hold on to
To believe in this livin
Is just a hard way to go
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 02:16 am
snood wrote:
Yeah? Written where?

In just about any biography of her you come across; its one of, if not THE, quotes most closely associated with her. She herself wrote it in her own autobiography. The context was a meditation on suffering, proximately having to do with her having a leg broken when a cart in which she was riding overturned and tumbled down a bank into a stream.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:00 am
timberlandko wrote:
snood wrote:
Yeah? Written where?

In just about any biography of her you come across; its one of, if not THE, quotes most closely associated with her. She herself wrote it in her own autobiography. The context was a meditation on suffering, proximately having to do with her having a leg broken when a cart in which she was riding overturned and tumbled down a bank into a stream.

Well, in this thread the quote seems to have been used to make the point that God is unworthy of friendship. Was that the final judgement from this Saint's perspective?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:05 am
Not at all - Teresa of Avila, a Doctor of The Church, is revered and respected for her insight, sprituality, passion, and clarity of thought. Her writings are compared favorably with those of Augustine and Aquinas.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:07 am
So do you concede that in this thread her quote was used out of context of her life to suggest that God is unworthy of friendship?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:12 am
HAving gone back over the thread 3 times now, I can't figure out how you come up with that - and I think if you took the time to familiarize yourself with Teresa of Avila's writings, you'd prolly see why not.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:18 am
Yeah - my bad.
From just re-reading the thread and the quote, I misinterpreted.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:30 am
snood wrote:
Yeah - my bad.
From just re-reading the thread and the quote, I misinterpreted.

You know twice in the last couple of days I've seen two different posters admit they were wrong about something and state it with no snotty remark attached.... that right there tells you there must be a God....
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:36 am
Just for the record, I like both Theresa of Avila and God.
Not in that order.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:06 pm
Anyways, back to the topic. Everyone here has two Angels with him at all times, one on each shoulder. They write every single thing you do, the one on the left writes all your bad deeds and the one on the right write all your good deeds. Depending on the ratio of good:bad you will either be holding your book on the Day of Judgement with your right hand (good outweigh bad) or you will be holding it with your left hand (bad outweigh good). The unbeliever will be holding there's behind their back.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:36 pm
These angels are called conscience, and their judgement is instantaneous. No need to wait. Their verdict (in reality your own verdict) will be tattooed onto your soul.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 04:03 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
Anyways, back to the topic. Everyone here has two Angels with him at all times, one on each shoulder. They write every single thing you do, the one on the left writes all your bad deeds and the one on the right write all your good deeds. Depending on the ratio of good:bad you will either be holding your book on the Day of Judgement with your right hand (good outweigh bad) or you will be holding it with your left hand (bad outweigh good). The unbeliever will be holding there's behind their back.

Yawn!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 07:22 am
Raul-7 wrote:

Are you trying to say that good deeds will get me into heaven?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 07:26 am
Cyracuz wrote:
These angels are called conscience, and their judgement is instantaneous. No need to wait. Their verdict (in reality your own verdict) will be tattooed onto your soul.

What % of my deeds must be good to get into heaven? 50.01%? Should I take it out a few more decimals, maybe 50.000001%?

What does the BIBLE say about good deeds getting me into heaven?
What does the KORAN say about good deeds getting me into heaven?

And do you mean literally tattooed? And do you mean that the ANGELS are judging me? And you mention that there is no need to wait, but I'm having trouble talking to these angels on my shoulder to find out where I stand? Do you have any advice to talk to those guys?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 02:40 pm
I don't care about after. I care about now, and the transition of now into... now.

Heaven and hell are states of mind, and you will find yourself in any of these places according to how you act and think. And of course I don't mean literally tattooed. Nothing in that post is meant to be taken literally.
But it is obvious. A thief fears nothing more that his possessions be stolen, and his hell is the inability to trust anyone. That is the way it works. It is hard to see because most of us live in a blend of good and bad thoughts and deeds, making it harder to see the causes for our misery or happiness a lot of the time.

How do you talk to them? By shutting up and listening.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 03:05 pm
Re: Do you believe in ANGELS...? Ever seen one...?
Lost TeddyBear wrote:
I was just curious as to whether you believe in ANGELS or not or if you've had any experience with them such as seeing or sensing them in some capacity.

Thanks in advance

D.

Believe in them and have sensed their existence a few times.

Several years back a friend of mine took ill one morning and as he sat there on the davenport, I sensed the images of three beings up in back of him. A few weeks later, on the night that he died in the local hospital, I sensed one of them again and it was hovering over the headboard part of the bed. I might have dismissed it as an overactive imagination had he not died that night.

Then there was the time I took a rather bad fall and broke my leg and could see someone up in the tree above me. Now, I knew intellectually there could not be anyone in that tree; but, I knew something was there keeping an eye on me. The someone up in the tree didn't have a face, it was basically just a shimmering light. Sort of a white hot glow surrounded by a diminishing golden aura. No, it was not the sunlight, the sun was in a different location at that hour of the day.

Essentially, what I often refer to as angels, might also be called spirits or souls from the great beyond...that realm known as Heaven. I do not question that they exist, neither do I attempt to figure out their purpose. I have been able to come to the conclusion over time, that they are here to protect us and to offer comfort in time of need. If you hold still and let your mind clear, you can quite often sense them being nearby. Now mind you, they don't spend every minute of every day with you constantly watching your every move. They seem to come around more for specific purposes. Sometimes (as I indicated) to help bring a person back over (passing over to the other side), sometimes to ease a fear and offer a support....although we may not realize it is happening. Have you ever wondered why something can be terrifying you at one moment and then moments later for no known reason you are as calm as can be? The answer is angels.

Oh, I have also seen angels on television...they are not one of my favorite baseball teams.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 06:48 pm
maporsche wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:

What % of my deeds must be good to get into heaven? 50.01%? Should I take it out a few more decimals, maybe 50.000001%?

What does the BIBLE say about good deeds getting me into heaven?
What does the KORAN say about good deeds getting me into heaven?

And do you mean literally tattooed? And do you mean that the ANGELS are judging me? And you mention that there is no need to wait, but I'm having trouble talking to these angels on my shoulder to find out where I stand? Do you have any advice to talk to those guys?

Don't worry, you won't be wronged in anyway.

We will set up the Just Balance on the Day of Resurrection and no soul will be wronged in any way. Even if it is no more than the weight of a grain of mustard-seed, We will produce it. We are sufficient as a Reckoner. (Surat an-Anbiya': 47)

You cannot communicate with them, Angels have no free will - they only abide by God's command.

As for your deeds, I told you, if you have your book in your right hand you will be able to rejoice and you will feel no sorrow. However, if you have it in your left hand, you'll wish you were never brought back to life.

Those with the Book in their right hand-

On that Day you will be exposed-no concealed act you did will stay concealed. As for him who is given his Book in his right hand, he will say, 'Here, come and read my Book! I counted on meeting my Reckoning.' He will have a very pleasant life in an elevated Garden, its ripe fruit hanging close to hand. 'Eat and drink with relish for what you did before in days gone by!' (Surat al- Haqqah: 18-24)

As for those with the Book in their left hand-

But as for him who is given his Book in his left hand, he will say, 'If only I had not been given my Book and had not known about my Reckoning! If only death had really been the end! My wealth has been of no use to me. My power has vanished.' (Surat al-Haqqah: 25-29)

Even worse is the one with his Book behind his back-

But as for him who is given his Book behind his back, he will cry out for destruction, but will be roasted in a Searing Blaze. He used to be joyful in his people. He thought that he was never going to return. But in fact his Lord was always watching him! (Surat al-Inshiqaq: 10-15)
0 Replies