Demon Possesion

snood

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 12:40 pm
timberlandko wrote:
And computers are why there's electricity. It ain't "Love" that differentiates humankind from the rest of the critters, its arrogance. We are animals - an apparently unique species of sentient pack animals able to understand and control our behaviors, that's all. One might even say that by the evidence only some of us are able to understand and control our behaviors.

computers are why there's electricity?
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:08 pm
timberlandko wrote:
And computers are why there's electricity. It ain't "Love" that differentiates humankind from the rest of the critters, its arrogance. We are animals - an apparently unique species of sentient pack animals able to understand and control our behaviors, that's all. One might even say that by the evidence only some of us are able to understand and control our behaviors.

How about the ability to differentiate between what's right or wrong? Although it seems nothing in the West is considered wrong anymore.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:44 pm
raul

Every being in the universe knows right from wrong. Humans maybe the least of all, in fact.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:54 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
How about the ability to differentiate between what's right or wrong? Although it seems nothing in the West is considered wrong anymore.

Where's the Islamic world's outrage over the slaughter of Jews by Moslems, Christians by Moslems, Hinus by Moslems, Moslems by Moslems? Why might it be that the global focus of terrorism is to be found in the Islamic world? Why might it be that the Islamic world not only fails to condemn but actually celebrates murder-by-martyrdom? What of "Convenience Marriages", disenfranchisement of women, exploitation, oligarchy, and corruption? Why is it that nowhere on the planet is the gap between the very rich and the very poor greater than is to be found in the Islamic world?

You're a hoot, Raul7, a real hoot ... "We're justified by our faith - its only bad when the other guy does it". Get your own house in order before you try the "Moral High Ground" trick; no matter what you and other Islamic apologists say, Islam is judged by the world on what its self-professed followers do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:56 pm
snood wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

computers are why there's electricity?

Oh yeah--when i was just a kid, before computers, we had to watch television by candle light.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:58 pm
I was possessed by a demon once't . . . more'n once't--but then i sobered up.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:59 pm
I agree with timber that we are animals. Animals with the potential to become humans. But it is not a given. We have to strive towards humanity.
It may sound harsh, but a person who only follows the direction of his impulses is more animal than human. There are many of those.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 02:05 pm
Given the frequency in historical records in which individuals, families, clans, tribes, entire nations--claimed to be moral and humane, while gleefully making the rivers run red with the slaughter of "pagans" or "infidels," i find it more than a little ironic to yammer on about a distinction between being animal and being human. Few animals kill for reasons which do not directly (self-defense) or indirectly (feeding oneself) derive from a survival instinct. In fact, except in cases of obvious pathology, i'd be willing to say that animals are never cruel, in any sense in which the word is meant in English.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 02:16 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

Where's the Islamic world's outrage over the slaughter of Jews by Moslems, Christians by Moslems, Hinus by Moslems, Moslems by Moslems? Why might it be that the global focus of terrorism is to be found in the Islamic world? Why might it be that the Islamic world not only fails to condemn but actually celebrates murder-by-martyrdom? What of "Convenience Marriages", disenfranchisement of women, exploitation, oligarchy, and corruption? Why is it that nowhere on the planet is the gap between the very rich and the very poor greater than is to be found in the Islamic world?

You're a hoot, Raul7, a real hoot ... "We're justified by our faith - its only bad when the other guy does it". Get your own house in order before you try the "Moral High Ground" trick; no matter what you and other Islamic apologists say, Islam is judged by the world on what its self-proe confusing corruption with the religion, when it happens to be from the Arabs themselves. Arabs are to blame, not Islam. Then again, I assume there is no corruption in the US? Why doesn't Bush first fight the terrorists within in the country (ie. gangs, etc.) before going global? However, I guess he won't make much of a profit from that. fessed followers do.

Where's the Christian outrage over Bush's revival of the Crusades? The destruction of Iraq, the invasion of people's privacy, the raping and killing of innocent people and the Propoganda used to cause a deep rift between Sunni and Shi'te. The fact that more people are dieing now in the past 4 years than under the 20 year-span Saddam regime really says it all. Then again, Bush thinks himself as a Messenger - I assume that's what has made this World a safer and better place to live these past 6 years. It would safe to blame the Christian for all of that? Even though I left out the Holocaust and race-extermination practiced by both the US and Nazi Germany.

Why are you confusing Islam with Arab mentality? I guess to you Islam only exists in the Middle East. And just because people claim to be Muslims doesn't mean they are a walking example of it, if you want an example of an Islamic state go back to the Caliphate, Ummayad and Abbasid periods. An Islamic state no longer exists today.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 02:21 pm
There are no crusades Raul.

If muslims continue to think that this is about religion, if they insist on making it about religion, then they will not get anything but a sore a-hole.

It's about the black gold, and as far as I can tell, he doesn't hide behind religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 02:30 pm
To claim that the United States indulges in a willful campaign to instigate violence between Sunnis and Shi'ites in Iraq is evidence of an almost incomprehensible self-delusion on the part of someone able to effectively communicate in English at this forum.

When it comes to murderous violence, the Sunnis and Shi'ites in Iraq need no outside encouragement to have at it.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 02:46 pm
Setanta wrote:
Given the frequency in historical records in which individuals, families, clans, tribes, entire nations--claimed to be moral and humane, while gleefully making the rivers run red with the slaughter of "pagans" or "infidels," i find it more than a little ironic to yammer on about a distinction between being animal and being human. Few animals kill for reasons which do not directly (self-defense) or indirectly (feeding oneself) derive from a survival instinct. In fact, except in cases of obvious pathology, i'd be willing to say that animals are never cruel, in any sense in which the word is meant in English.

Oh, but in the end, we are animals. Though we have resorted to modern means of aquiring food, which eliminates our ever having to really know how that cow, or lamb met it's end, nonetheless, when our needs are met it is only then we can work towards the loftier goal of being human. Perhaps animals are never cruel, but they are ruthless in order to survive. Same goes for people.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 02:57 pm
I have not said that humans are not animals, i've simply pointed out that there is no meaningful distinction to be made between the terms human and animal. And nothing you've written convinces me otherwise.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:03 pm
Interesting. No meaningful distinction between the terms human and animal. I think I agree.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:58 pm
Non sequitur, straw man, and red herring, Raul7 - once again, your plaint devolves to ""We're justified by our faith - its only bad when the other guy does it".

I note
You wrote:
... Why are you confusing Islam with Arab mentality? I guess to you Islam only exists in the Middle East. And just because people claim to be Muslims doesn't mean they are a walking example of it, if you want an example of an Islamic state go back to the Caliphate, Ummayad and Abbasid periods. An Islamic state no longer exists today.

I call to your attention that the largest population of Moslems in the world is to be found in Southeast Asia - home to Jemaah Islamiah - the region is no less wracked by Islam-focussed sectarian violence than is the Middle East.

Also of note is that the Umayyids came to power with their slaughter of the Abbasids, and then in turn were crushed by the Ottoman Empire. Of further note is that from before the days of the Caliphate through the Ottoman Empire and on into the present, the socioreligious construct of Islam has been marked by violence, repression, oligarchy, corruption, and tyranny, holding itself not just apart from but in aggressive opposition to all that has brought what you term "Western" civilization to global pre-eminence. Again, despite the claims of its apologists, Islam's legacy is plain by the historic record. As disgusting as what has been done in the name of Islam is the Islamist practice of denying responsibility for the centuries of outrages perpetrated in the name of Islam.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 08:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
I have not said that humans are not animals, i've simply pointed out that there is no meaningful distinction to be made between the terms human and animal. And nothing you've written convinces me otherwise.

And why is there no meaningful distinction to be made between the terms animal and human?
0 Replies