Demon Possesion

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:18 pm
What do you think of demon possesion? I don't actually believe in it, but i have witnessed some pretty unexplainable events. I mean how can people become completely fluent in a language they have never heard? Is their a mental disorder that causes you to react in pain to religious icons? I understand the mind is a powerful tool and can cause some pretty incredible events but somethings seam pretty farfetched.

Anyway, i just thought it would be interesting to see some varing opinions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,937 • Replies: 35
No top replies

acepilot

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:42 pm
I'm not too sure myself..
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:45 pm
Re: Demon Possesion
EpiNirvana wrote:
What do you think of demon possesion?

Hysteria.

Quote:
I don't actually believe in it, but i have witnessed some pretty unexplainable events.

I submit that which is to you unexplainable merely is to yopu unexplainable - that you may not be able to explain something does not mean there is no explanation, it means simply that you are unaware of an explantion. Taking that a step further, assuming supernatural causality for something you cannot explain explains nothing.

Quote:
I mean how can people become completely fluent in a language they have never heard?

Despite what you may have read or heard, there is no credible evidence any such thing ever has occurred.

Quote:
Is their a mental disorder that causes you to react in pain to religious icons?

Yes - hysteria.

Quote:
I understand the mind is a powerful tool and can cause some pretty incredible events but somethings seam pretty farfetched.

Far fewer things a "farfetched" when examined critically, objectively, and logically.

Quote:
Anyway, i just thought it would be interesting to see some varing opinions.

I think it would be more far more interesting to see actual, documented, verifiable, unambiguous evidence of any supernatural occurrence. I think its very interesting that no such evidence ever has been produced; over the thousands upon thousands of years humankind has sought same, all that ever has been produced is claim.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:09 pm
Quote:
I think it would be more far more interesting to see actual, documented, verifiable, unambiguous evidence of any supernatural occurrence. I think its very interesting that no such evidence ever has been produced; over the thousands upon thousands of years humankind has sought same, all that ever has been produced is claim.

Not going to happen! By definition - "supernatural" is not subject to the laws of nature, therefore cannot be quantitatively calculated. If, however something that was previously deemed as supernatural is documented, verified... it was never "supernatural". :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:18 pm
baddog1 wrote:
... If, however something that was previously deemed as supernatural is documented, verified... it was never "supernatural". :wink:

Funny, ain't it, how that has been happening all along, while the converse never has been noted - apart from unsubstantiated claim and/or blatantly misconstrued/patently manufactured "evidence"? Oughtta tell ya something.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 01:32 pm
Demon possesson is when a person has so many things he thinks are true in his mind, truths that are in conflict with eachother, that a coherent and sane perception is impossible. Then some deviant alternative mind is created, and the person can become volatile, schitzoprenic, borderline, and so on.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:37 am
I agree that there are things that happen and exist that seem pretty farfetched...difficult to wrap one's mind around...and also, I find it difficult to swallow a lot of the so-called scientific 'answers' or 'explanations' for them, too.

But that doesn't make the idea of demon possession any less ridiculous and farfetched!

A totally far fetched answer to a far fetched occurance. huh.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:37 pm
I agree many of the cases of hysteria. But i have witnessed for myself ppl instantly fluent in other languages. Now even the religious icon thing can be explained away but is still strange none the less.

Is thier sometype of psycological aspect to exorcism? Or is thi just all religious fabrication?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 06:45 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
I agree many of the cases of hysteria. But i have witnessed for myself ppl instantly fluent in other languages.

Never has any such occurrence ever been objectively, credibly reported, all scientific studies pertaining to the issue conclude, without dissent, that the phonemic patterns of such "speech" are nonsense sounds - often in recognizably repetitive pattern - derived from the phonemic patterns of the "speaker's" native language. Recent technology, including advanced brainscan studies, have disclosed the phenomenon involves brain areas and brain activities characteristic of assorted anomalies, including halucinations, paranoia, epliepsy, and even some resemblence to symptoms of advanced alzheimers.

Quote:
Now even the religious icon thing can be explained away but is still strange none the less.

"Strange", aside from being an imprecise, relative, essentially arbitrary, subjective term, means nothing more nor less than "strange" in the opinion of the one offering the observation.

Quote:
Is thier sometype of psycological aspect to exorcism?

See superstition, delusion, and hysteria.

Quote:
Or is thi just all religious fabrication?

Bingo.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 08:11 pm
timberlandko wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
... If, however something that was previously deemed as supernatural is documented, verified... it was never "supernatural". :wink:

Funny, ain't it, how that has been happening all along, while the converse never has been noted - apart from unsubstantiated claim and/or blatantly misconstrued/patently manufactured "evidence"? Oughtta tell ya something.

Prove beyond any doubt that there is love, timberlandko.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 08:56 pm
snood wrote:

OXYTOCIN
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 09:06 pm
I don't get it, unless you are trying to make some sarcastic statement about me being on drugs because of my question....

In any case, since you can't prove that love exists, are you willing to say that it does not?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 09:12 pm
No, snood; read the wiki article, chase the links you'll find there, and discover that "love" is a well understood neurochemical phenomenon, largely dependent on oxytocin, with vasopressin, serotonin, and other neurochemical components playing significant, symbiotic roles.

Not very romantic, but then, solid science rarely is.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 09:14 pm
timberlandko wrote:
snood wrote:

OXYTOCIN

Proves the process and result of lust, not love.

or wait, are we talking about love the verb or love the emotion :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 09:24 pm
"Lust", or sexual desire if you will, is but one attribute of the overall emotional condition known as "Love" - the same neurochemicals, in varying proportion, and the same brain areas and brain activies, again in varying proportion, uniformly have been shown to be involved that aspect of the human psyche we call "love". We've long understood it to be part of what "we are"; over the past half century or so, we've made great progress in figuring out what it is that makes it part of what we are - and how and why that is the case.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:10 am
Dude, you think love is something that can be reduced to chemicals.

I think your world is very small.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:20 am
Not at all - knowing how and why something is as it is in no way dimininishes the experience of that thing.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:40 am
Gotta agree with Snood. Reducing an emotional state to an analysis of neurochemical reactions not only cheapens the emotion but is, in the final analysis, counterproductive. We can never understand how a human being is different from other organisms by examining only the chemical reactions that a body is subject to.

Oxytocin no more explains love than adrenalin explains courage.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:52 am
Even though chmical alterations in the brain are measurable whenever someone is in love, that doesn't really tell us so much.

We cannot know if it is these chemical reactions that create the feeling of love or if it's love that creates these chemical reactions.

Personally, based on philosophical reasoning, such as my capacity for it is, I lean towards the explanation that the feeling of love is the reason for these chemical alterations, not the other way around.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 12:26 pm
And computers are why there's electricity. It ain't "Love" that differentiates humankind from the rest of the critters, its arrogance. We are animals - an apparently unique species of sentient pack animals able to understand and control our behaviors, that's all. One might even say that by the evidence only some of us are able to understand and control our behaviors.
0 Replies