Isolation & Estrangement

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:30 am
Read this peculiar little story this morning, and it got me to thinking:

Quote:
Man Lies Dead in Bed for Nearly Three Years
Mon Jun 30, 8:54 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German man lay dead in his bed for almost three years before being found, police said Friday.

A post mortem revealed the man, in his 50s, had suffered serious head injuries, suggesting murder.

"We're assuming he was murdered in September 2000," said Christiane Leven, police spokeswoman in the northern city of Hamburg. Police have arrested a 30-year-old careworker who used to look after the wheelchair-bound man.

Police discovered the remains of the corpse Thursday after breaking into the man's apartment when neighbors complained of a strange smell.

Germany often reports cases of people lying dead in their homes for months or years before discovery, a phenomenon sociologists attribute to mounting social isolation and the disintegration of the family.

The efficient banking system also means people's bills and pensions can continue to be paid long after they die.

In my community, this could not happen. We meet for breakfast once a week, dinner once a month. At these gatherings, we talk to our neighbors, and we know what is happening with everybody. One of the neighbors E Mails everybody if there is an illness, or a death. There is a wonderful support system that goes on here.

It was not so when I lived in suburban New York. Sometimes I would not see some neighbors from one year to the next. Would find out about deaths or divorces months or years after the fact.

Have many parts of the world lost its sense of community? If so, why do you think that this has happened? Do you prefer anonymity in your neighborhood, or would you prefer a closer connection?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,454 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dupre

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:42 am
I prefer privacy. Had up-close and personal in one town. They end up knowing too much and criticising everything and everyone. I was MISERABLE. Of course, it might just be THAT town. Ooooh those narrow-minded people. I was in shell-shock for well over two years after making my escape to another area. A favorite saying--one person would lean into my ear, point to another person, and say, "I wouldn've have anything to do with her, if I were you!" The person in question was artsy, maybe gay, certainly cautious. Um . . . I'll never know what she was. I couldn't get close enough to her to find out why she was banned from the "in" crowd. It was all so juvenile. I don't even recall this kind of behavior from grade school.

Anyway, didn't this German have any family? I've got some family and a few close friends. They would know if I died.

Rather than the above being an indication only of more isolated communities, I would say it's also an indication of a growing tolerance of mal odors.

Three years! Whew!

How many people live in your Tampa Bay area? Do they all get together for breakfast? Or just the "in" crowd?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:54 am
Quote:
Police have arrested a 30-year-old careworker who used to look after the wheelchair-bound man.

I think, this gives an answer to many questions: there has been someon to look after this person.

Quote:
Germany often reports cases of people lying dead in their homes for months or years before discovery,

Question
[However, I must admit that I even didn't read about this (and couldn't find it in the regional/local papers eithers).
So it might be that we get customed to it?]
This happens sometimes, but only with people, who really want(ed) to live their own lifes.

Quote:
The efficient banking system also means people's bills and pensions can continue to be paid long after they die.

You have to signature once per year "that you are still alive".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:01 am
dupre- The breakfast is just for my street. We usually get 20+ people every week!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:02 am
The idealic "community" of yesteryear (if it actually ever existed) is long gone. There are still a few isolated places where neighbors actually "look out" for each other but even those seem to be fading.

Most people in the "baby boomer" generation probably have some recollection of neighborhood picnics and/or block parties as well as neighborhoods where all the kids played together. Nowadays, with both parents working in most households there isn't anyone home in the house all day long and when they do get home in the evenings they don't have the time to socialize with the neighbors.

Is it any wonder people are more isolated?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:06 am
Just found the article:Link to Hamburg newspaper

The legal guardian (the person, who is in custody), knew the handicaped victim since 15 years.
He is a professional lawyer, visited him regularily and often, handled everything for him and was wellknown in the six-storey-building.

The victim had no known relatives, came originally from close to my place = 350 miles away from Hamburg.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:20 am
fishin'- Maybe where I live we can afford to spend time caring for one another, because most of us are retired. We had a neighbor who drove from Florida to Chicago to pick up another neighbor who had gone up north, and then had a problem, and could not get back by himself.

Our community has an emergency squad, made up of volunteer neighbors, which works 24/7. There are certified EMTs, dispatchers who man the phones, and drive the ambulances. The service is free. ( A regular ambulance charges 300 bucks) If a person is having a heart attack, the regular government ambulance is called, but the emergency squad deals will less life threatening issues.

I was talking to someone who works the emergency squad, and he was complaining that the newer, younger residents have no interest in joining the squad. These are folks in their middle 50s. They do not have the sense of community that the older folks do, and now the squad is being manned mostly by people who will soon be too old to continue.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:42 am
How many adult children look after their parents, after they've left home? Do they call each day? Do they go to dinners very often?
What do they do, when their parents become ill and need medical and legal advice?

More importantly:

How many adult children put their parents in nursing homes and assisted living homes, when they could easily accomodate their parents in their very own homes?

Love is more than a kiss !
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:08 am
Well, at least in Europe, you find even youngsters, who are doing such.

From the United Kingdom (just because it's the news today):
Hidden army of young carers

This is, IMHO, however another theme than the originally thread.

There, everything was planned as it should be:
a handicapted, living for his own (and not in a home), in the middle of the city (the place where he lived was in a cul-de-sac in the center of Hanburg), well looked after ... .
I don't think you could know in advance that all this would lead to a murder!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:35 am
Interesting.

For the record, as a gen Xer, I grew up in an area where there were a ton of kids playing outside all the time, and I've known one family in particular since I was 4. (Still in touch.)

I'm pretty lucky with my area, too. Immediately across the street are two families with kids about the sozlet's age, and while she's not old enough to go over there by herself, we see them at least every other day. One family is a stay-at-home dad, mom works outside the home, and the other family is a stay-at-home mom, the dad works from home.

Certainly this is all less common than it used to be, though. (Well, maybe not the stay-at-home dad/ working mom part.)
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:52 am
I prefer isolation, I don't even know if I even have neighbors, & besides it's much better to have your privacy. At leats that's my opinion.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:08 pm
Dux;
do you really, perhaps not, or you wouldn't be here; at a2k your thoughts are pretty "public"!

I prefer a dose of both; living alone, and socializing as much as is practical, and seeking out new experiences to share ideas, and polish my social skills (I'm sure you'll agree they need a little attention!).
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:55 pm
I guess I do, but not from the ones that are around me, btw expressing is part of who I am, however I'm pretty picky of with who express myself, & with my neighbors I don't express myself, & I was reffering specifically to socializing with people near me(physically) I didn't meant any other thing. Maybe when I consider myself with enough knowledge I'll help other people, but that's just a maybe.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:44 pm
I'll drink to the "maybe" s!
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 01:46 am
Make it two of orange juice, to the MAYBEs Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 05:27 am
Quote:
I prefer isolation, I don't even know if I even have neighbors, & besides it's much better to have your privacy

Many of us have come from another forum, Abuzz. A number of years ago I wrote a thread there trying to determine whether the members considered themselves very outgoing and social, social isolates, or somewhere in between.

As I remember, many of the people who replied said that they did socialize somewhat, but was very protective of their "private time".

Hmm. Maybe I will make another thread like it.
0 Replies