Roaches....

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:30 pm
Have I said that I am hating this apt living crap ?

Because I am.

First it was a fly infestation.. just every where.. flies flies flies..

NOW

roaches!!!!!

And It isnt my house keeping.
Well, maybe..

I do leave dishes in the sink during the day.
Before i go to bed, the dishes in the dishwasher from the night before are put away, and the days dishes are loaded up to be washed.
I wash off the counters, put away appliances and anything else that has been left out.

I am not a huge sweep and mop person.

I have a big dust mop about 3 feet wide, I take that across the floor probably every other day to keep sand , dirt, hair and dust under control but mopping isn't done too often.

I keep up with the trash, and the messiest area of my home is at the foot of my bed. That is where we disrobe for the day and hop in to bed to sleep. I only clean that up when it is laundry day.

So I guess my home is pretty average. Not messy. People can defiantly walk in and out any time during the day and see a comfortable clean home. Not spotless.. but clean.

Could THAT be the issue?

maybe I need to be pottery barn add type sterile clean.. ( yuck)

It could also be just the weather.

Seriously.. the day it got cold, it was like I was swimming in bugs in my apt. I could have tied a few dozen to the bottoms of my feet and had THEM move me around all day.

Nasty bastards.

So I went to Wal Mart and got some cheap roach bait.

Does that stuff work? What should I do to get rid of these crawly nasty yucky unwanted little brown things?

I tell ya what though.. the SECOND i see a water bug, I calling the cops..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,822 • Replies: 65
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:34 pm
Nah! Once they infest a place, housekeeping doesn't matter.

My present place was the same when I moved in. I went with the roach baits in out of the way places, a long acting spray along the baseboards (no kids, by the way), and shelf paper that's supposed to kill roaches. It took about a half year to get rid of all of them, but the results were plain much sooner.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:48 pm
A year and a half???

With baits ?

(shudder)

Wich one worked the best for you?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:15 pm
I had them in my first apartment, decades ago.

And now at this new place, and not all that many, but still... though not for several months, Expecting another visit when it warms up. Creeps me out severely.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:16 pm
No, about 1/2 year. Since I tried all three techniques at once, I don't know which worked best. The little darlin's have tenacious eggs, but they don't last forever. I would say the baits first. If the label sounds okay for a home with children, I would spray the baseboards. If not, try the toxic shelf paper, but it's a little annoying to put down.

When I was a kid, I used to flip on a light real sudden like, and just whack 'em. Not real sure if this made a dent in the population. This was in Miami, by the way. What you might call a target rich environment.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:18 pm
Or you could get a pest guy and it's instantaneous.

But you really should get in the habit of putting all your flours, cereals, sugars, pastas in rubbermaid containers because they're all out there!! - roaches, ants, MICE, ewwww RATS!! They can't smell (apparently) or chew (apparently) through plastic.

Do yourself a favour and bundle up, in plastic... then maybe you won't need to get Ratboy into your house.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:21 pm
As far as bait is concerned, try TAT. I don't know if it will completely eliminate the problem, but it will help.

I bought some electronic devices to keep mice away. They work on bugs as well. They emit a sound that is unpleasant to them. Can't be heard by humans. It had two settings, one that would be upsetting to pets and one that wouldn't be heard by pets. Might be worth investigating.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:21 pm
Ratboy?

Ratboy?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:27 pm
I don't think it's the clothes at the foot of the bed or not sweeping the floors, I think it's the dishes.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who admits to leaving dishes in the sink until there's enough for a load.

But I think it really would help to clean them of food particles before leaving in sink. (if you're not already)

Have you tried that boric acid stuff?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:29 pm
roger wrote:
Ratboy?

Ratboy?

Baby, is that you????? (she asked hopefully)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:42 pm
I think mine have come up through the ----- eeeeeeek, drains. Which I now religiously keep plugged, mostly.

In my first apartment, it was related to some lack of finishing in the building, as I understand it.

I had some mice, twice, up in northern CA, and levels of cleanliness (of which I'm a mistress, depends on the immediate need for it) seemed to have no effect. I'm a natural slob - clean - slob - clean - slob person.
Those mice had more to do with the situation in the yard (I forget what). Once inside, they liked to nest in my plants, and favored the toaster area.

Hmmm... maybe the fact that I haven't seen roaches for a while, gag, shudder, is that I did spray baseboards.. with intent to deter fire ants and black widows.

Sheeeeeesh.

I did buy some cheapo bait trap thingies. So, I'm ready for 'em.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:57 pm
Ya know, those black widows are the only spiders I don't tolerate in the house. And they do like to come in from the cold. The others can be fairly companionable, once you get used to being watched by 8 eyes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:05 am
Oh. Thanks.

I've always, except for a span of years back east when I was a kid, lived around black widows.

But not in black widow country when it's freeze time.

Gulp.

Tomorrow I'll spray again at the garage door - I know I had one in this garage.

Sweet dreams, everyone.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:24 am
There are roaches in my building. (We're right above a supermarket.) Since I've had the electronic devices (about 13 years, maybe more), I've seen maybe three or four roaches.

Believe me, if cleanliness and clean dishes were the issue, I'd have seen more. Granted, those things can't hoit. But my mother was the most impeccable housekeeper ever. There were roaches in the building. They arrived in our apartment.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:42 am
Well, that's a fine howdy do. I had those electronic things back in CA, not all so cheap, either, and the mice just smiled at them. Threw them out, the devices, I mean.

Now I could use them for roaches. Phooey.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:59 am
ossobuco wrote:
Well, that's a fine howdy do. I had those electronic things back in CA, not all so cheap, either, and the mice just smiled at them. Threw them out, the devices, I mean.

Now I could use them for roaches. Phooey.

The devices weren't all that successful with mice in my place either. But bugs. Fuggedaboudit. Yeah, not all that cheap. Bought 'em when I could afford such luxuries.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 02:35 am
Life ain't fair...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 05:26 am
Chai wrote:
I don't think it's the clothes at the foot of the bed or not sweeping the floors, I think it's the dishes.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who admits to leaving dishes in the sink until there's enough for a load.

But I think it really would help to clean them of food particles before leaving in sink. (if you're not already)

Have you tried that boric acid stuff?

Yep, it's prolly the dishes. Roaches need water, so your sink of dishes is going to have standing water. And they can live on things like greasy fingerprints and soap (it's got fat). I've gotta run but dollars to donuts I think it's dishes.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:32 am
Well, now that I think about it... Remember how I found this place?

THe pervious people just packed what they could carry and left everything else.
Trash, dirty diapers, FOOD both in an unplugged fridge ,and on the counters . There was even some in the pantry.

While I was cleaning this place, I saw TONS. This food and junk sat for almost 2 months and noone did anything about it because noone knew they had left.

So, that could be where they got their start.

My dishes could be propelling them. But godfersakiinit I hate doing dishes all day.
I just see no point when we serve almost 6 meals a day.
Dad and I have 3 Jillian has morning , noon and evening snack on top of regular meals. Not to mention her grazing 1/2 banana here, two bites of some toast there.. blah blah blah.

At 7-8 we are winding down for the day, she is in bed, and hubby empties the washer, and I rinse dishes, throw away left over food in the sink, and load the washer. Then he washes the counter, and I put up all our appliances. We dont have alot of counter space so we cant just leave out the mixer, the griddle.. etc.

But I dont wanna do that twice a day .. gosh.. i'm gonna have a tantrum here..

But i get it.

They can live off of SOAP?

NOW THERE is something I never knew..
AND that could very well be a huge food source for them over night.
Counters are sometimes soaped down so much I guarantee you it is in the grout, on the top of the stove.. etc.

TAT.. hmm I see things about it on the web.
I will get some of that.

I got MaxAttack roach baits and in just one day I see a difference.. OR.. they are just hiding from me better.

I do not know if it qualifies as an infestation but.. On average in the morning I see about 5 running from me.

I am just now getting glass sealed containers.

I have everything in plastic. but for some odd reason they end up with tiny holes in them?? I imagine roaches to have little sharp teeth so when I find a hole in a bag I throw it out.
With the ball jars and other sealed containers, im guaranteed freedom from those brown bastards.

I am also saving my glass juice jars for left over oatmeal or other powder stuff that is just too little to warrant a big jar when I could use it for something else.
They also make great herb holders as well. With a baby spoon tucked inside, I have a scoop and a storage container as well.

I don't buy much plastic. Not for moral reasons.. its just that there isn't much in plastic tupperware like containers we eat. Yogurt sometimes. but those would be another great idea.

Oh yeah.. and I have a cat too! Isnt SHE supposed to be great roach killer as well?

Laying down on the job ug Rolling Eyes that is SOOO typical of her.. ha
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:36 am
Do you have adjoining apts?

If so, it might not be your place that is breeding them.

Tell your landlord. He should send a professional out to exterminate. Screw the baits. Use the big dogs. Roaches are near impossible to get rid of.
0 Replies