half full? half empty?

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 05:23 pm
Hmmmm; is there something there that we're not supposed to be reading into that? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 05:39 pm
Whether it's half empty or half full, I prefer to have the philosophical optimistic view and say it's always half full. Having a positive outlook on life is more important. c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 05:47 pm
Hmmmm. If there's a fifty-fifty chance I won't be hurt by jumping off a building, I'll take the pessimistic view and behave as though I will be (unless there's a fire or an auditor at my back).
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 03:51 am
55th floor so far so good eh ?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:03 am
I always say "Someone drank out of that...."
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 07:26 am
The standard rules of etiquette reguire that when encountering a half full (or empty) glass, that one spitt into it, so that for the next person to come along, it will be more than half full.
Common decency! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 03:27 am
Mathmatically speaking, if a glass was both half full (.50) and half empty(-.50), it would be neither. The positive would cancel out the negative, leaving just the glass (0).

Now, if the glass is half full of water(.50) and half full of air (.50) you have a two part suspension. Assuming the air was pure oxygen [hey, I took chemistry once in high school don't expect much] (H2O [.50] + O2 [.50]) = 1 part H203. If you want, you can insert nitrogen and pollutants, and all that other stuff in air.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 03:39 am
Water is egregious to fire. So I'd say the glass is half-spoiled with water, when all air would be so much better!

Hot air is not necessary, as long as sufficient oxygen is present for combustion.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 11:02 am
I think no one would disagree that all our glasses are completely "FULL" of "hot air"! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 11:09 am
Mibbe air, but "hot?" Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 12:19 pm
But air is mostly nitrogen.

Anyway, -.50 and +.50 presupposes two different zero values for the glass. If the glass is at zero state when it's full, then half-empty or half-full is -.50. If it's at zero state when it's empty, half-empty/half-full is +.50.

If the glass is in New Jersey, the question is moot, because you don't want to drink the water anyway.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 02:58 am
What if the glass is the size of an ocean, and made mostly of rocks and sand?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 09:10 am
Then it's time to do the dishes.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:12 pm
half full, with traces of the previous user's lip marks.

WAITER!! A NEW GLASS!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:32 pm
It's all empty. Read.

Here's a little gem to make you grin!
A southern minister was completing a temperance sermon.
With great expression he said, "If I had all the beer in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river."

With even greater emphasis he said, "And if I had all the wine in the world I'd take it and pour it into the river."

And then finally, he said, "And if I had all the whiskey in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river."

Sermon complete, he then sat down. The song leader

stood very cautiously and announced with a smile, "For our closing song, let us sing Hymn #365: "Shall We Gather at the River.'"
0 Replies

darkercrimson

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 02:01 am
Re: half full? half empty?
well technically wouldnt it be hard to be half full or half empty on the atomic level i mean that would be some precise pouring a rare occurance and even then who is to say where the glass ends on atom on one side might be higher then the other side of the glass but to the naked eye no one can tell
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 02:16 am
Half full, half empty ... what's the big deal? Somebody's gonna hafta wash the damned thing sooner or later, 'less it gets broke first, then there's that mess ta deal with Mr. Green
0 Replies

val

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 03:54 am
Re: half full? half empty?
That depends of the part that has water and the part that hasn't. Do you think that the part that doesn't have water is still a glass of water (or even half a glass of water)? In the part without water, you have a glass, in the other part you have a glass of water. So we have indeed two glasses. One is a glass of water. See how simple is to multiply the breads (or glasses)? Smile
0 Replies