Hey All You Lawyers...Can bush Be Sued In Civil Court?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:42 pm
djjd62 wrote:
if you can't sue him, can two thirds of you at least line up to kick him in the nuts

c'mon give us a target for God's sake....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:50 am
jespah wrote:
But what happens when/if a President hits a more grey area? I am not speaking of anyone in particular here. What about piling on troops in a foreign country without Congressional approval? Or calling the troops "advisors" and then oh so conveniently handing them weapons and suddenly converting them into soldiers? I'm thinking more of Johnson here.

I think you run into issues of exactly how things are done with this sort of thing. The President, as Commander-in-Chief, can order the military into action for up to 180 days without Congressional approval under existing law. But, just to stay within Bear's scenario, military members and their families are prohibited from suing anyway. A military member can't sue anyone in their chain of command for anything tied to their military duties. (There are ways to file suits againt the military itself but you can't sue specific people...). You run into issues of who could sue and for what.

Quote:
E. g. the President says something, makes the whole thing look official. But covertly it's something else. And let's say it's not necessarily a covert operation fully supported by the CIA. It comes to light that the President was behaving outside his official powers and was given license to act because people (in the cabinet, the Senate, whatever) had been duped. Would a cause of action potentially arise?

I suppose if one could prove that the President actually wilingly/knowingly duped the congress, etc... he/she could be sued for the act of lying. I don't think you can sue for anything the congress authorized them to do (i.e. invade a foreign country) as a result of being mislead though. Once the congress passes the authorization legislation the Predisdent has the legal authority to act. The congress might have course for impeachment here but that is a different story.

The moment someone steps up and shows that the President was mislead though, this whole scenario drops out of the window.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:56 am
I'm beginning to think that bush could pull out a gun at a televised press conference and put a bullet in a reporter he disliked and get away with it. Confused
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:20 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm beginning to think that bush could pull out a gun at a televised press conference and put a bullet in a reporter he disliked and get away with it. Confused

No, I'm sure he couldn't. But he can get away with using the armed forces, since he's commander-in-chief, and also since it's very common historically for presidents and other heads of state to do so.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:41 am
Thank you Captain Obvious. Point taken. You like bush. You approve of bush. I'm stupid and a traitor to America to question him or suggest he be made accountable or that he's made any mistakes or done anything wrong. I get it. We all get it. I think the Statue Of Liberty needs a bikini wax. Go get busy.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 10:27 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Thank you Captain Obvious. Point taken. You like bush. You approve of bush. I'm stupid and a traitor to America to question him or suggest he be made accountable or that he's made any mistakes or done anything wrong. I get it. We all get it. I think the Statue Of Liberty needs a bikini wax. Go get busy.

I know it's easier for you to defeat my arguments when you make them up, but that's not what I said at all. I said that for a president to make routine use of his Constitutional powers, a use which is extremely common historically, and "get away with it," is not quite in the same category as shooting someone in the view of witnesses and getting away with it. The comparison is ludicrous.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:16 am
Crying or Very sad Our only option is impeachment and those bastard Founding Fathers forgot to put "acting like a spoiled frat brat dry drunk" in the Constitution, but I did think of this a few minutes ago as I was taking a long middle of the night whizz:

We could buy him off.

We could do it. George has never really wanted to be President, it was a surprise to him when the Supreme Court rolled over it's past "The State Court is the guiding judical hand in elections." and gave him the office. He was even more surprised when Kerry turned out not to able to find his own ass with both hands, so

here's what we do:

We get everybody who opposes the war to send in five bucks apiece. If the polls are right, and they are, there are about 140 million adults in this country who want this mess to end now. Maybe some of them will pop for a sawbuck, I know I will, that's a lot of money, almost as much as these CEOs get when they get fired from Home Depot, it should be enough.

We send it to the ranch, he goes there, sees this shittload of cash and DECIDES to take a two year nap.

Okay, I'm calling MoveOn and getting this going.

Joe(Now. What about Dick?)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:26 am
Everybody who opposes the war is probably dumb enough to do that, Joe.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:36 am
Tsk tsk.

I was just thinking that maybe we should ask George how much and then put out the word about where to send the cash. And maybe he'd like to disappear somewhere, you know, so he no longer has the face the shame of his failures.

Where do you live, Tico, maybe he and Laura could stay with you?

Or he could go down to Brazil and party with his girls then slip off into the jungle which would turn out to be a nice ocean front spread in the Bahamas (Tony could arrange for that.)

Joe(that's Tony Blair not Tony Soprano)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:46 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Where do you live, Tico, maybe he and Laura could stay with you?

You know where I live, Joe ... just a piece north of where you used to live. (But only for another month. This young man is going West.)

George is welcome any time.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:51 am
Maybe he could have your old place?? No, too cold, right? But, he likes to bike and chop wood, two things he is very good at, so it might be a good spot to hole up in for awhile.

Where are you going? Not California, I hope, that place is full of wild eyed liberals like the one in your avatar. Health Care schmelth care.

Joe(leave the back door unlocked)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:57 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Maybe he could have your old place?? No, too cold, right? ...

Pretty cold right now.

Quote:
Where are you going? Not California, I hope, ...

No, not that far west. I'm headed to Arizona.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 05:09 am
Quote:
I'm headed to Arizona.

Of course you are. It's the last bastion.

Good for you though, get those joints a little warmer.

Joe(I have to go put my five bucks in the mail)Nation
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 06:43 am
if you accept canadian donations i've got $4.25 to contribute

at the current exchange rate :wink:
0 Replies