Deleting "set up" files

dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:30 am
I have just installed firefox 2 which of course I downloaded from the firefox website. my download manager leaves the set up file on my desktop which I then open and follw the instalation instructions.

Once I am satisfied that the program is running correctly can I safely delete the set up file?

Will this have an effect on the program associated with it.

I could claw back 20 or 30 megs of h/d space if I delete all the set up files I have accumulated over the last year or so.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 781 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:33 am
Nah! You don't need those files. If something ever happened to the program, you could always redownload from the internet.

If the program is one that you have paid for, you would want to keep a printed copy of the receipt, which would have the key, if you ever had to reload a program, if your hard drive died, which mine did recently. That just happened to me, and I reloaded a bunch of stuff without any problems.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 05:14 am
Re: Deleting "set up" files
dadpad wrote:

I could claw back 20 or 30 megs of h/d space if I delete all the set up files I have accumulated over the last year or so.

It's not worth it for such a small amount of space.
Keep the files. Move them into a downloads folder in My Documents and leave them there.
It'll save you downloading them again when you need them.

But if you do want to delete them then go ahead. The program doesn't need them anymore once you've installed it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 05:24 am
The only reason that I might suggest keeping a folder of downloads, is if the person is on dial-up. By keeping the set-up folders on the hard drive, it WOULD save some time, if the program needed to be reloaded. IMO, if a person has broadband, it is not necessary.

On the other hand, a person might want to copy the files to a removable disc. Then they would have the files, and less "junk" on the computer.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 05:30 am
I'm just a save everything monster.
Laughing
One of the reasons why I go through so much hard drive space.
680 gigs in this machine and I'm getting twitchy about not having enough.
I need one of the terabyte NAS drive stations really.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 03:18 pm
Helio, In essence you are correct 20 or 30 megs is not significant however if I was to add up all the stuff I dont need it turns into a significant amount of space. I am not anal about stuff on my computer I just dont see the sense in keeping files I dont need. eg I've just done a Java runtime update and when I looked at the folder I had 4 or 5 folders each seems to be a separate update. After researching I was able to delete them.

Its kinda funny really how I try to keep my computer tidy but my shed is full to the gills with crap I just cant bear to throw away.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 03:41 pm
I'd delete the setup files put on your HD by the install program, but I would probably keep the install program in my downloads directory (the single executable file).
0 Replies