Katharine Hepburn dies, aged 96

caramel

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:45 pm
Katharine Hepburn has died in her home in Old Saybrook. She was 96-years-old.

Katharine Hepburn was as strong and independent a woman as Hollywood had ever seen. She was tough, smart a brilliant actress who brought her strength and character to every role. She was born in 1909.

Her father a pioneering doctor, her mother a suffragette. She entered summer stock after college to pursue a career in acting. After starring in a number of Broadway shows, she signed with RKO pictures and won her first Oscar as best actress in 1933's "Morning Glory."

Hepburn established her fierce independence as an artist early in her career. She jumped from RKO to MGM in a 1937 dispute over what roles she would play.

In 1939, she starred in the film version of the Broadway play "The Philadelphia Story". Katharine Hepburn was married in 1928, and divorced six years later.

She never remarried.

But in 1942, she began her long on-and-off screen association with Spencer Tracy in "woman of the year." Tracy and Hepburn teamed up during the forties and fifties in such great films as "State of the Union," "Adam's Rib," and "Pat and Mike."

In between her movies with Tracy, Hepburn starred with Humphrey Bogart in 1952's "The African Queen." Tracy and Hepburn were together again for 1967's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," about wealthy, liberal parents whose daughter announces that she wants to marry a black man.

Hepburn's performance won her a second Oscar. In 1981 Heburn received her fourth academy award for her performance in what became her favorite film, "On Golden Pond". Hepburn was considered by many the first lady of American film.

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=1340793&nav=3YeXGdda
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,211 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:48 pm
Sad. Kate Hepburn was really one of a kind.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:50 pm
Awful. We've been losing a lot of the best of the best lately...
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:57 pm
I just received this:

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------
MSNBC Breaking News
------------------------------------------------------

Katharine Hepburn, an icon of strength and spirit who brought a chiseled beauty and patrician bearing to such films as "The Philadelphia Story" and "The African Queen," died Sunday, her executor and town authorities said. She was 96.

The only consolation is that she (apparently) had such a successful life...but that's still cold comfort when someone so meaningful to us has passed, isn't it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 05:06 pm
See ya Katharine Hepburn - I've always had a lot of respect and admiration for that woman.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 05:53 pm
caramel, Very good summary of her career. Thanks for sharing your excellent perspective on this icon/actress of Americana. I saw the news in my email. She'll be missed by many around the world. c.i.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 05:55 pm
Oh! Just learned of that here. Watched "Roman Holiday" this morning, for the first time, and was marvelling at Gregory Peck, and remembering the tributes here. And now Katherine Hepburn, too. Sad (Not that she was in "Roman Holiday" -- that was Audrey -- but I think of them as being in the same general category of big screen greats.)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 06:09 pm
She may be picking strawberries with Norman as we speak
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:18 pm
At the final curtain I applaud and cheer
all the wonderful things we were able to share.

Magnificent. Thoughtful. Inspiring.
So much to be thankful for!

I can't help but smile. I am so glad she was here!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:08 pm
The fabulous Kate. How much joy she brought to us. 96 years old. A good run, old girl! Well done!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:46 pm
She was a national treasure.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 11:04 pm
Generations of film-goers from around the world have appreciated the fine work of Katharine Hepburn. Her long career -- and life -- is a tribute to her tenacity. That her physical life is over is not so sad when one remembers that she lived 96 years . . . and has produced a body of work that will evoke her spirit for future generations who are not yet alive.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 02:04 am
How sad. She was a truly beautiful human being and one of the few people I consider to be role models in my life. The world has not only lost a great actress but also one terrific lady. The loons must be feeling rather lonesome tonight.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 07:46 am
Of all the woman, I have thought I have know, KH is one of the most outstanding .
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 07:48 am
Ah yes, she will be missed. But what she achieved!

Dorothy Parker was so wrong when she said that Ms. Hepburn's acting "ran the gamut from A to B" - what film was that in reference to - does anyone recall?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:06 am
Areally nicely done (private) homepage, which might bring back memories of this great actress:
Katharine Houghton Hepburn
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:29 am
mac11 wrote:
Ah yes, she will be missed. But what she achieved!

Dorothy Parker was so wrong when she said that Ms. Hepburn's acting "ran the gamut from A to B" - what film was that in reference to - does anyone recall?

Please use this line to better understand Dorothy Parker (not her real name, BTW) ... it doesn't explain what film per se but rather more about someone who might such a reference:

http://users.rcn.com/lyndanyc/dorothy.html
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:37 am
Actually, it does say what film! From sweet's link:

Quote:
In a 1933 review of the play "The Lake" starring Katherine
Hepburn:"Miss Hepburn runs the gamut of emotions from A to B"
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:41 am
Embarrassed well, I provided the source w/o delving into it; apologies for being in such a rush to give you answers that I didn't investigate as I should have Embarrassed Mac, how about points for just trying to help?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:42 am
Absolutely, many points! (And of course, it was a play, not a film at all...) Very Happy
0 Replies