ENDURING POWER OF ATTORNEY(UK)

Badboy

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 08:58 am
MY BROTHER wants to have enduring power of ATTORNEY(EPA).

I am unsure if it is a good idea.

The idea is that no money would be spend on care etc.

Presumbly i wouldn't lose any social security benefits either.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 791 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 01:56 pm
Hmm, are you looking for comments or a question to be answered?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 02:12 pm
Badboy: Does your brother want you to give him the Power of attorney over you? I am not familiar with the EPA in the UK, but I would suspect that it would be similar to the Durable Power of attorney that they have in the US.

I have not read through this all, but I think that you might want to.

http://www.guardianship.gov.uk/downloads/epa.pdf

The thing with a Power of Attorney is that it gives a person the right to manage another's affairs if the other person becomes incapacitated, and is not able to carry on for himself.

I held the Power of Attorney for my mother, who just died, and believe me, it was invaluable. She was unable to handle certain medical/financial decisions. In the US, the laws now are very stringent about giving out medical information. I gave a copy of the document to all her doctors, the hospital, and her health insurances. Therefore I was able to discuss her condition and/or concerns, and make decisions for her. Without that, they could not even talk to me about her.

Do you trust your brother in terms of his honesty in handling your financial affairs? If so, you might really want to consider goving him the right to handle your affairs, if the need should arise.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:10 am
I MYSELF AM PERHAPS LOOKING FOR ADVICE
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:11 am
Badboy--

I agree with Phoenix. If you trust your brother, then giving him Power of Attorney makes your life simpler and safer.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 07:58 am
I HAVE given my brother enduring power of attorney.
0 Replies