Is accountability [part of] the problem?

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 04:14 pm
timberlandko wrote:

As the aphorism has it, "If the student hasn't learned, the teacher hasn't taught". Its as simple as that.

I never heard this alleged aphorism. However, whether or not this is well worn old saw, it is demonstrably untrue.

Unless the teacher in question is a tutor and the student is the only one pursuing a course of study, this statement does not apply.

We can not look at a teacher, heading, in elementary school, a classroom of up to 30 students (there were 60 in my first and second grade classrooms) and suppose that none of the students there learned. The problem becomes more pronounced at the high school level where a teacher again may have up to 30 students at a time in the classroom, multiplied by 5 periods per day. It is highly unlikely that 150 kids will fail to learn anything in the course of a year.

Another way of checking the logic/reality of that aphorism is: when a child does not progress in a specific area from year to year, through a succession of teachers, then it is not the fault of "the" teacher that the child does not learn. Consider that a national curriculum -- which could possibly have standardized methods -- could make the situation worse. Imagine if the "see -it/ say-it" method of teaching reading became the national norm. We'd have a higher percentage of kids who can not read than we do now.

I strongly suspect that a great many critics of education use those famous generalities, "they" and "never" and "always" and more. It is patently untrue that everyone can learn. There are some people whose IQs are simply too low. My first job out of college was as a welfare case worker. Some of those people were on welfare because they lacked sufficient intelligence to hold a job. Some kids who fail in school lack sufficient intelligence to pass. I've pointed this out before and one member of this forum immediately accused me of saying that kids today are less intelligent than they were in the past, which isn't what I said at all. Furthermore, my dad told me that he went to school with kids who stayed in the third grade until they were old enough to leave school legally.

Which brings me to another verifiable fact: 75% of special needs students fail standardized tests in math. Now, 11% of the students in this country are in special ed. Is the number too high? There are some kids who should not be in special ed. A few end up classified as such because of health problems. There are parents who want the services of special ed and manipulate the system so that there kids are in SPED, depriving more needy and more deserving students of services. I fear with the continued deterioration of the environment, that the percentage of kids in SPED will increase.

However, lets return to the 75% who will fail math. What does that tell you? That they just aren't going to learn and that they are the kids that should be in SPED.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 05:39 pm
I think homeschooling can be really enriching and successful for the self-directed child of a particularly self-directed parent. In some cases I've seen, I've felt that the kids who were homeschooled were getting a better education at home than the kids who attended public school. But these were children whose parents were really dedicated to providing the child with a thorough curriculum and lots of varied opportunities for learning experiences and who were pretty single minded in their passion for learning and education as well as totally devoted to their children.

I think it takes a special family to make homeschooling work, but when it does work, it works extremely well.

In terms of socialization, there are homeschooling networks where parents and kids get together to have special classes and field trips, etc. And in most school systems, since the parent is paying taxes, but not taking advantage of the free education, the home-schooled child is legally eligible to participate in the appropriate school setting for his or her age for classes like gym, art, and music. They are also allowed to join after school clubs, and try out for sports teams.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 06:24 pm
plainoldme wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

As the aphorism has it, "If the student hasn't learned, the teacher hasn't taught". Its as simple as that.

I never heard this alleged aphorism. However, whether or not this is well worn old saw, it is demonstrably untrue.

Unless the teacher in question is a tutor and the student is the only one pursuing a course of study, this statement does not apply.

Nonsense - it is self-evidently true; for instance, substitute "If the bread isn't baked, the baker hasn't baked", or "If the barn isn't painted, the painter hasn't painted" - same thing.

Quote:
We can not look at a teacher, heading, in elementary school, a classroom of up to 30 students (there were 60 in my first and second grade classrooms) and suppose that none of the students there learned. The problem becomes more pronounced at the high school level where a teacher again may have up to 30 students at a time in the classroom, multiplied by 5 periods per day. It is highly unlikely that 150 kids will fail to learn anything in the course of a year.

Another way of checking the logic/reality of that aphorism is: when a child does not progress in a specific area from year to year, through a succession of teachers, then it is not the fault of "the" teacher that the child does not learn. Consider that a national curriculum -- which could possibly have standardized methods -- could make the situation worse. Imagine if the "see -it/ say-it" method of teaching reading became the national norm. We'd have a higher percentage of kids who can not read than we do now.

Red herring and straw man - the argument is that it is the teacher's responsibility to teach (after all, that is the job function of a teacher), and there is no supposition " ... that none of the students there learned". If an individual student hasn't learned, regardless why, the teaching process has failed to teach that student.

Now, as said before, "teacher" is to be understood as comprising the entire educational establishment, from parent through administrator on up to legislator; the blame for the current sorry state of American Public Education falls along the entire chain, with perhaps less blame falling on the hapless front-line classroom teacher than on parents, administrators, and legislators.

Quote:
I strongly suspect that a great many critics of education use those famous generalities, "they" and "never" and "always" and more. It is patently untrue that everyone can learn. There are some people whose IQs are simply too low. My first job out of college was as a welfare case worker. Some of those people were on welfare because they lacked sufficient intelligence to hold a job. Some kids who fail in school lack sufficient intelligence to pass. I've pointed this out before and one member of this forum immediately accused me of saying that kids today are less intelligent than they were in the past, which isn't what I said at all. Furthermore, my dad told me that he went to school with kids who stayed in the third grade until they were old enough to leave school legally.

Straw man yet again; acknowledged is that special needs exist, and special accommodations must be made in order to determine and meet those special needs - at both ends of the achievement spectrum. Believe it or not, about half the folks out there are of below-average intelligence - and about half are of above average intelligence; that's the way averages work. None the less, there is a vast middle range, and that vast middle range is the demographic defining the "typical" student, the student of not particularly "special" need.

Quote:
Which brings me to another verifiable fact: 75% of special needs students fail standardized tests in math. Now, 11% of the students in this country are in special ed. Is the number too high? There are some kids who should not be in special ed. A few end up classified as such because of health problems. There are parents who want the services of special ed and manipulate the system so that there kids are in SPED, depriving more needy and more deserving students of services. I fear with the continued deterioration of the environment, that the percentage of kids in SPED will increase.

However, lets return to the 75% who will fail math. What does that tell you? That they just aren't going to learn and that they are the kids that should be in SPED.

Irrelevant - established and stipulated is that "special needs" exist and must be accommodated. Just as not everyone able to drive a car will be able to compete at Formula One level, not everyone able to learn will be able to master theoretic astrophysics; that not withstanding, an awful lot of driving gets done outside of competition, and an awful lot of work gets done outside of theoretic astrophysics. "Special" means just that - "special", outside the normal range, to one side or the other, to some extent or another - not every one isn't "special" as regards learning ability, by definition, most are not "special" is such regard, the majority forms the measurement benchmark from which are determined both "above" and "below" average.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 11:10 am
aidan wrote:
I think homeschooling can be really enriching and successful for the self-directed child of a particularly self-directed parent. In some cases I've seen, I've felt that the kids who were homeschooled were getting a better education at home than the kids who attended public school. But these were children whose parents were really dedicated to providing the child with a thorough curriculum and lots of varied opportunities for learning experiences and who were pretty single minded in their passion for learning and education as well as totally devoted to their children.

I think it takes a special family to make homeschooling work, but when it does work, it works extremely well.

In terms of socialization, there are homeschooling networks where parents and kids get together to have special classes and field trips, etc. And in most school systems, since the parent is paying taxes, but not taking advantage of the free education, the home-schooled child is legally eligible to participate in the appropriate school setting for his or her age for classes like gym, art, and music. They are also allowed to join after school clubs, and try out for sports teams.

How is the quality of a home schooling program monitored on a day to day basis?

Let's say a family wants to home school, and they think they are doing a good job, but in reality they aren't? Does the state have the right then to say the child must go to a regular school since they aren't learning as/what they should? I just worry that someone would use home schooling to isolate the child in a set of beliefs that may not benefit them as an adult.

The parents would step in if they felt a teacher wasn't treating their child right, but who's watching th day to day interaction with the parent?

Also, again with the socialization thing...I, for instance went to a grade school a few miles away from my house, but there a public school right down the block, and probably a couple others between my home and my school.

Because of the distance, there were very few children in my neighborhood that went to my school, in fact, really none as far as the horizons of a little kid.

So, in the summer months, I didn't know anyone, and other kids had found their niches and so forth, and it was hard and discouraging to break into the group. I hated the summer and couldn't wait for the Fall so I could go back and be with my friends.
It just seems personally hard to expect a home schooled kid to be able to fit in with the neighborhood gang that spends all day together, eating lunch and playing and so forth.

Then again, it seems to me that kids really don't seem to have that free time anymore. It looks to me like their entire day/week/month is one appointment after another.

Or, from your experience, have you not found that to be true?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 02:26 pm
There are a few homeschooling groups in this area in which the kids are getting top drawer educations, but, let me warn you that science is taught by fathers who are full profs at MIT.

The secret of homeschooling is that there have to be a pool of parents participating: no one parent knows enough to teach the entire curriculum throughout the school years.

On the other hand, I have met people who home school simply to stroke their own egos. The kids really needed to run away from home.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 02:27 pm
If the student hasn't learned, it is because the teacher hasn't taught is not the logical equivalent of if the bread isn't baked, the baker hasn't baked. Nor is the statement, if the student etc., self-evident.

The two statements can not be the logical equivalent of each other because in the first case, the subjects are two human beings while in the second case, the subjects are an inanimate object (bread) and a human agent (baker). You're not even comparing apples and oranges, which are both fruits, but apples and ponies.

Every time one of your fellows -- and, by fellows, I mean right-wingers -- uses the word, "strawman," which, they never use correctly, I think of my daughter in the first year or two following my divorce from her father. The divorce co-incided with an awareness growing in all of the kids that several men that they knew who were fathers who were convinced -- despite all sorts of evidence to the contrary -- that they were right. They were obstinate in their defense of all matter of things they did that ranged from simple pettiness to outright abuse. My daughter developed a phrase for describing these men which fits you. I wish we were sitting in the same room, so I could tell you the entire story.

But, you seem to have no reason for believing what you believe other than YOU! believe it. The you may be so emphatic because of your GENDER! but it might be so emphatic because of your conservative philosophy.

However, if you are going to engage in discussion, you have to present something more than your own beliefs as a standard. As you can see (or is that too much to hope?), the result is a lack of logic.

You seem to think that by screaming strawman that you put an end to debate. Shape up. You don't even use the word correctly.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 03:04 pm
Chai- parents who homeschool have to submit a copy of their curriculum and lesson plans to whichever governing body regulates that kind of thing in their particular state. I'm not sure those people then go over it with a fine tooth comb or anything, but there is some expectation that whoever is doing the schooling has some kind of plan. And I think, I'm not certain, but I think that at some point the kids have to demonstrate that they can pass grade level competency tests in basic skills at certain intervals.

I was most aware of a homeschooling network when I lived in Maine. And that was a group of very active, committed parents who pooled resources and knowledge and so their kids weren't really taught in isolation. I don't know personally of anyone who did it one on one with just their kid and no outside help or interaction with other kids.

In terms of the socialization- a lot of times these kids are more confident and mature than their public school attending counterparts because they've really been able to develop their skills and interests and abilities more fully, so the kids I've seen don't really seem to feel overwhelmed or shy about taking part in activities with kids they don't know- but that of course can be different with each individual child. Also, the kids that I knew who were homeschooled were from large families (five or six kids per family), so there always seemed to be a lot of company and activity going on. I guess it would be different for an only child.

And yeah, I have found it to be true that kids are scheduled to a ridiculous degree. But, as a parent I can tell you there's such pressure to provide them with the opportunity to fulfill all their talents and interests, that you feel neglectful if you don't. My son played two sports, which took up all his afternoons and evenings year round- but he passionately wanted to-- believe me, it wasn't me pushing him. Same with my daughter- she has girl guides (scouts) on Mondays, violin on Tuesdays, African drumming (her choice Laughing ) on Wednesdays, community theatre on Thursdays and soccer on Fridays. But again, those are all things she has chosen to do, and I'm glad because they're enriching and she enjoys them, but the only one of those I instigated was violin lessons.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:46 pm
Report cards have just been sent out with grades for the second quarter. I am supposed to take all of those report cards, which have both letter grades and short messages, and convert them into a descriptive letter and mail it to the parents of the kids on my caseload.

Complete waste of time.
0 Replies