Are any of you having this problem with Trend anti-virus?

msolga

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:25 am
I discovered this afternoon that some emails I thought I'd sent were in fact stuck in (my Outlook) outbox. No amount of trying to post them would work.

Then I stopped getting incoming emails, too.

No mail going out - none coming in.

So I rang my ISP's phone helpline & we tried a few different options including re-installing Outlook. That didn't fix the problem.

After a number of calls, the tech suggested that Trend Micro (anti-virus) might be the problem. So suggested that I turn it off & then checked if the email problems were resolved. They were.

So (at the moment) it looks like I can either have virus protection OR email service!

Has anyone else experiencing problems like this? (Mine are a very recent development.)
I'd be interested to know what solutions you came up with. (a new anti-virus program?)

Clearly this is not a satisfactory state of affairs! Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 992 • Replies: 13
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:53 am
I've not experienced that problem, but I mostly use Yahoo for my email (although I'm an occasional Outlook user too). Have you tried contacting Trend Micro's customer service and see what their take on the problem is?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:06 am
Not yet, blacksmithn. The problem became critical only today. I think I might give my personal tech/fix-it person a ring tomorrow & see if others have experienced the same problem. (He supplies & installs Trend for lots of people.)

(I Sometimes wonder, in my own Luddite way, if all those different programs - Windows, Trend, Ad-Aware, Spybot - all constantly being updated, are sort of competing, fighting it out to see whose going to get the upper hand! Laughing )
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:12 am
msolga- Please, please do not go for one moment without an anti-virus on your computer. I recently formatted a new hard drive. My virus program had a couple of months to go, but I had downloaded it online, after a trial (it was on the computer when I first got it.) In order to redownload it, I would have to go onto the internet, and have my computer vulnerable for that time.

I said the hell with the couple of months. I went to the store, and bought a virus scan with a disc, so I could download it when I was NOT on the internet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:18 am
That's pretty sound advice, Phoenix. I keep hearing stories from other folk here about computers "crashing" & other quite serious problems. (Am I imagining it, or do there some to be more of these problems recently?) Thanks, I'll be sensible!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:22 am
I'm curious to know: which anti-virus programs are the most popular around A2K?

Trend has the most incredible number of automatic updates (a day!) I've ever experienced!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:22 am
This sounds connection specific. It's likely that the TM software was updated with control lists that contain your ISP's POP and SMTP servers, and/or their domain name. You'll need to poke around and find those lists, and delete the entries for your ISP.

For example, if you use Yahoo mail, you might have:

POP: pop.yahoo.com
SMTP: smtp.yahoo.com

set in your "Tools-Accounts-Properties-Connections" settings in Outlook/OE. But don't delete those - you need to delete the entries somewhere in TM.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:24 am
Thanks, cjhsa. I think I understand that!

I'll take a look tomorrow when I'm more alert. (It's late & I'm tired.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:39 am
I use Norton, 'cause I am used to it, (that's a pretty stupid reason) but I think that there are better around. One of their faults is that they don't install updates often enough, but I will sometimes download the updates manually, so I'' get them as quickly as possible.

Check this out:

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 06:43 am
Ah, the source of the problem has been found!

Somehow my Outlook connection in the Trend file had been switched off. My tech help thinks it may have happened when (if?) I approved downloading some file or other .... me, I can't recall doing that, I'm just pleased that everything is now working as it should.

BTW, he mentioned that he'd experienced some glitches with the latest version of Internet Explorer (7). I installed it yesterday & have had no problems .. yet. Touch wood!
0 Replies

Jayto

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 11:15 pm
Anyone ever have problems trying to reload Trend, after restoring their system. Mine goes into Windows Installer, then replies back with message "The installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Jay
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 01:28 am
I hope someone with considerably more expertise than me (!) is able to assist you, Jayto!

Best of luck with resolving your problem & welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 01:44 am
msolga wrote:
(I Sometimes wonder, in my own Luddite way, if all those different programs - Windows, Trend, Ad-Aware, Spybot - all constantly being updated, are sort of competing, fighting it out to see whose going to get the upper hand! Laughing )

I have the same thoughts. It's kind of like going to a doctor and coming out with a prescription. And another, and another. . . . Pretty soon you don't know if you're sick, or just the various pills fighting with one another.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 01:54 am
roger wrote:
msolga wrote:

I have the same thoughts. It's kind of like going to a doctor and coming out with a prescription. And another, and another. . . . Pretty soon you don't know if you're sick, or just the various pills fighting with one another.

Exactly, Roger!

Who wants to spend so much of their time & energy in this way when all one wants to do is enjoy the (not all that many, really ...) benefits of the internet?
0 Replies