How to find zoning law information?

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:54 pm
Hey all!

I noticed my landlord has been attempting to take advantage of my accomodating nature lately. I'm nice, but I'm no pushover.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd like to cover all my bases and find any of her weaknesses in the legal sense. Namely, there is a question of whether the apartment I am renting is in fact a legal apartment.

My question:

I'd like to know if the house is properly zoned to allow for a basement apartment. I already know about landlord/tenant law, but I'm having a b*tch of a time actually finding out where I can get zoning information.

Any tips? Tricks? Advice? Words of wisdom? Warnings? Threats? Meaningless rants? Under the breath mumblings? etc?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 917 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:00 pm
Zoning is typically established by the local zoning authority. Check the zoning administrations office at your local city/town hall. They should have the zoning map for your community and can tell you exactly how your building is zoned.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 07:53 am
As JPB said, your local zoning board should be your 1st resource for any zoning laws. If you are in an incorporated town/city they will have their own. If you live in an unincorporated area then they are usually handled to the County level.

Since this apartment is already in existance however, zoning laws may not help you. The laws could say an apartment isn't allowed but the one you are in could have been grandfathered.

What WILL help is if you ask to see the "Certificate of Occupancy" for the address. When any home/apartment is built a certificate of occupancy is issued (in the U.S. anyway) and that is proof that the place was inspected met all zoning/building requirements at the time and is fit for human habitation. It should also list how many units are approved in the building and any limitations on occupancy.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 10:51 am
Here's a simple tip I found out:

Most townships have a "homepage" set up, and this links you directly to zoning information as well as all sorts of other information on the town.

Just google your town, and it should pop up as one of the first pages. Then look around accordingly.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:04 am
Sometimes one clearly forgets to mention the essential basics :wink:
0 Replies