Seeing Numbers and Letters in Your Mind.

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:28 am
Hello.
I just had a really weird revelation.
For me, ever since I was little every letter of the alpabet and every number has been a different color.
e.g. A is light green, B is blue, C is orange,
1 is white, 2 is yellow, 3 is light blue........

I don't know how this started, but it may be something to do with a letterland poster I vividly remember from when i was about 3, that was above my bed in my room.

Or it may be because Im quite artistic.
I say that, because no-one else that I have asked (familly, friends) has agreed with me.
But today for the first time I have just found someone else who thinks like this, at my art college. But all her letters are different, A is red, B is purple etc.
And it was quite an exiting revelaqtion, because hse has never met anyone who thinks like that either.
And what was also weird, was the fact she sees A as red, (what!!! A is light green, imagining it as red is just horrible.)

Anyway. We plan to ask more people if the think like us or not. So I thought I would ask guys on here, because it is interesting.

And I didn't put this under the art topic, because I think it has more to do with psycology than art.

pq xxxxxxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,423 • Replies: 25
No top replies

material girl

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:20 am
Nope, Ive never seen them as colours.

Wish I did tho, it sounds so cool.

Somebody I knew saw days as colours.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:34 am
I see days as colours too.
Its weird how some do and some don't
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:34 am
I've heard of this. There is a name for it. There are quite a few folks who think like this.

Not myself though.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:42 am
I think you are refering to "Synaesthesia". There are many google links on this.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:42 am
Synesthesia.

Wikipedia wrote:
Synesthesia (also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia, plural synesthesiae) -- from the Greek syn- meaning union and aesthesis meaning sensation -- is a neurological condition in which two or more bodily senses are coupled. In the most common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme → color synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored, while in ordinal linguistic personification, numbers, days of the week and months of the year evoke personalities. In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space. (For example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may have a three-dimensional view of a year as a map (clockwise or counterclockwise).

0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:59 am
Yes, I imagine time in a straight horizontal line from year 0 to the 1900's (which is pink and white) and then it goes up, and starts going left at the year 2000 (which is golden).
The funny thing is that the 1900's are pink and white, yet the 20th century is yellow, yet they are the same thing.
Likewise the 18'00s are purple but the 19th centuary is pink and white again.

What is the significance of this condition?
who many people have it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:20 am
I don't see colors, but I do see the line of time and positional numbers. One through ten are vertical, the teens go off and up at a 45 degree angle, every ten numbers up to 100 are horizontal but stacked with the 10s vertical to the 9s (if that makes sense). The hundreds go off to the left at a 30 degree angle, and everything after that is off to the left, vertical or horizontal depending on how big the number is I'm thinking of.

I had a conversation with my sister and a friend about this. They were both pretty adamant that they don't see anything except the number when they think of numbers, but when I pushed them to look at what they were actually thinking, they both said they saw something, though not the same thing I see. I think a lot of people do this without realizing it.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:09 am
I do this:
Quote:
while in ordinal linguistic personification, numbers, days of the week and months of the year evoke personalities.

and always have done, but I didn't know there was a name for it, and I also associate a color.

I think of Mondays as open and sunny and blue (maybe because of the possibilities associated with new beginnings?)

I think of Thursdays as comforting, warm and safe - deep chocolate brown.

This has been true no matter where I've been (so it hasn't depended on the weather) or what I've had to do on those days throughout my life.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:27 am
The weirdest thing about this is the fact its so personal.
Its so obvious to me that mondays are yellow, I can't comprehend aidans perspective at all. Its so weird.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 01:42 pm
PQ, you might be interested in this article on the subject.

I recall there also being a recent documentary on TV about this, but haven't been able to find reference to it in the first minutes of searching. If I find it later, I'll post a link.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=98039&page=1
0 Replies

iduru

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:25 pm
Yup, for as long as I can remember, each day of the week has had a color.

Monday -- Blue/Grey (go figure)
Tuesday -- Green
Wednesday -- Orange
Thursday -- Green
Friday -- Maroon
Saturday -- Light Blue
Sunday -- Yellow/Orange

and.. I've always seen the week in an oval shape with friday and monday at the acute ends.

I also see numbers in line with the rest of them.

I recently saw a show on PBS about this kid in the UK who could see colors and shapes for every single number, literally every single one. He could compute pi (3.14) out to, I think it was the thousandth number, IN IS HEAD!!
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 04:54 am
Wow that is so cool!
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 02:46 pm
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
I see days as colours too.
Its weird how some do and some don't

I don't think you people actually understand.

Some people invision numbers as different colors, or think of them as different colors, but don't actually see them as different colors- and judging by the fact that you said you "see days" makes me sure that you don't understand.

It means literally seeing a number as a different color, even though it is black.

How did they prove it?

When a normal person looks at that, it will take them about 4 seconds to recognize that the 2s are in a triangle. But... if the twos were literally green and the 5s red, you would recognize it as close to instantly as possible- which is how fast the people who have Synesthesia responded.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 02:57 pm
Plus the fact that 2 out of 7 people have claimed to have it. Er, no. This is a very rare disorder. Sure, I associate colors with days, months, letters and numbers, but I don't actually see it. For the record:

Monday=Grey
Tuesday=Bluish
Wednesday=Red
Thursday=Red, Yellow, Brown- think autumn
Friday= No color
Saturday=Brown
Sunday=Bluish Grey

January=Pink
February=Red
March=Green
April=Light Blue/Pink
May=Yellow
June=Light Blue
July=Red and Blue
August=Orange
September=Light Brown
October=Black and Orange
November=Dark Brown
December=White

Most of those months just go with the holidays or seasons though:lol:- except January and August- which I think of that color simply because of these posters we had for the months in first grade that were different .colors. For some reasons, they always stuck in my head.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 06:22 am
Yes but for me its not just association e.g. christmas is green and red.
Its random, the colours that I see have no real corellation to the number/letter etc. but that doesnt make them less real.

Im sure we are all mature enough to know if we're making it up or not.
If i was making it up then I wouldnt have started this thread, Foley.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 09:31 pm
So, Foley, you're saying that people with synesthesia actually see numbers as colors, not just in their mind's eye?

Like, they'd see 5555525555, even if in reality the numbers are just printed in black? That's really interesting; makes more sense to me than the other thing people were talking about, I mean as far as it being a diagnosed "condition."
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 10:58 pm
I think this whole thing is very cool. I've never heard of it!

I'm artistic, I do not see colors in numbers or words.
I feel gypped.

I do see the week as a circle. And I see it from the perspective of the day of the week it is...
The same with a year. So right now, I'm standing in February with March to my left and the whole year stretched out around me, ending with January to my right.
I've never found anyone that sees it like that, but I never really asked either...

But colors! How cool!

So each letter has a color? Do the colors blend together in words?Pentacle, can you write/post something in the colors that you see?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 07:58 am
With words i tend to see the word as the colour of the first letter, sometimes extending to the second letter.
how do u post in colour?

People don't actually see it physically, but in their mind they do.

The friend i mentioned in my first post is doing a whole project on it now, for her art course.
Im gyped i don't have it with music. but apprently that's really rare.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 05:55 pm
cyphercat wrote:
So, Foley, you're saying that people with synesthesia actually see numbers as colors, not just in their mind's eye?

Like, they'd see 5555525555, even if in reality the numbers are just printed in black? That's really interesting; makes more sense to me than the other thing people were talking about, I mean as far as it being a diagnosed "condition."

Yes, exactly. And though the estimates of how many people have it vary greatly, they average about 1 in 10,000- clearly a little more than 2 out of 7.
0 Replies