A gravestone carving from 1862

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 03:26 pm
Asherman wrote:
If it isn't too much trouble can we get some more detailed closeups of the Murphy site?

Oakwood certainly seems to be interesting place, and one that is filled with puzzles. Just passing curiosity, are there any visible carvings on the "black" headstones?

I can absolutly dig up some close ups.
In fact, I might have some in my desktop folder...

I know the black headstones are in fairly good condition.. but it has been a while since I walked over to them.
Next time I am there ( probally Thursday, ) I can take some close ups of those as well.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 03:27 pm
http://www.gravestonestudies.org/pdf/April_2006_enews.pdf

Quote:

In the December 2005 e-newsletter we had a
query from Janet Seapker about a cast iron,
above-ground grave (see example to left) she saw
in Lexington Cemetery in Lexington, Davidson
County, North Carolina. She wrote in hoping that
someone might have seen others and know what
they are. Janet emailed the office recently to let
us know that several people sent information
about the locations of other such markers--all in
the South. Here is a summary of what she
learned:
Pat Colquette knew of one in Mobile, Louisiana.
Michael Trinkley, Ph.D. has seen several in South
Carolina, but has yet to find a cast name, or any period catalogs. Greg Jeane reported a
U.S. patent that was obtained by an Alabamian in Greenville, Alabama. He noted that
the pioneer cemetery in Greenville has more than a dozen, ranging from small for
children to full-size ones for adults. He only has seen them in the South. Lyn Strangstad
has seen the markers in at least a couple of Georgia cemeteries, including one in
Madison, Georgia. She suggests calling them false sarcophagi. Linda Kennedy also saw
one in Madison, Georgia. It marked the grave of Mrs. Tabitha Wilson 1809-1873. Leslie
Wolfenden identified a marker in the Oakwood Cemetery in Austin, Texas for Mrs. Mary
Murphy who died in 1891. It is the only one she recalls seeing in Austin
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 03:40 pm
Thank you for the information UL.

It seems that Shewolf's information on Mary Murphy was off by 101 years. That clears up the mystery of how an Anglo woman came to die in Texas during the late 18th century; she didn't. Alright, now on to other things.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 03:58 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I did find one that is marked with personal info, but even THAT is limited..

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/1169/3at3.jpg

Just as an FYI - Mr Hooke is listed as "Hook" in the Oakwood Cemetary databse. He is listed as having died of "phthisis" which we would now call Tuberculosis.

People with TB in that timeframe were admitted to colonies or sanitariums. TB colonies in TX prior to 1903 were assigned numbers. That might be another lead on "No. 138". (Or it could be a wild goose chase! Razz )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 04:02 pm
Would be nice, fishin', but ...

Quote:
In 1909 the Texas Senate passed a bill creating a TB colony, but it was defeated in the House. In 1911 both houses passed a bill creating two colonies-one for advanced and one for early cases-dedicated to the treatment and education of people infected with TB. Although plans for the former were abandoned, 330 acres was purchased near Carlsbad for the location of the Anti-Tuberculosis Colony No. 1 ...
Source
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 04:20 pm
Do a Google search on TB in Texas and you'll find that there were several dozen colonies and sanitariums in Austin long before the state took any action. Seton Infirmary, Austin Sanitarium and City Hospital were but a few of such facilities.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 04:33 pm
American Temperence Union
A national temperance union was formed in 1826. Shortly thereafter, a second national temperance union was organized and the two groups merged in 1836 to form the American Temperance Union. The official publication of the Union was the Journal of the American Temperance Union. The Union and its publication were influential in promoting the temperance movement.
??????????????????????????????????????????????

conjecture:
The gravestones are charitable burial plots paid for by by the American Temperence Union.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:00 pm
Asherman wrote:
Thank you for the information UL.

It seems that Shewolf's information on Mary Murphy was off by 101 years. That clears up the mystery of how an Anglo woman came to die in Texas during the late 18th century; she didn't. Alright, now on to other things.

yes and no.

The only date that is on her headstone is 1788.

Birthdate possibly?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:08 pm
1788-1891? Could be, I suppose. Have you read the material in the link UL supplied above? I think you may want to join their group that is devoted to the study of gravestones. The part relevant to Mary Murphy is quoted in full by UL above.

The likelihood of an Anglo woman dying deep in the heart of Texas during the late 18th century is very small ... the only thing that makes it so mysterious. If, on the other hand she died in 1891, the only thing of current interest is the unusual grave marking ... a patented style we are told that is only found in the South dating from the 19th century. You might talk with Lesily Wolfenden (apparently living in Austin) to see how she arrived at her dating of Mrs. Murphy's death. Perhaps, Ms. Wolfenden has made an error. In any case, it seems the two of you have common interests.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:25 pm
This is absolutely fascinating - and it's a topic in which I have no interest at all.

Wonderful to see the resources that A2Kers can dredge up. And their application to the task. As a life-long library researcher I'm very impressed.

Well done
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:50 pm
I'm with you, Margo. This may well be the most fascinating thread that I've ever followed on A2K without actually participating. I have nothing to contrubute. But I'm enthralled, reading all the posts.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:04 pm
Might be worth asking here shewolf.

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.cemetery.us.txtomb/mb.ashx
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:45 pm
Still no definitive answer, eh? I wonder what the total hours spent on this project total. Laughing Well done folks.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 05:44 am
I think dadpads suggestion of the temperance union might well fit the bill.

That, and some other research I did online , basically through google, show some typography unions in Austin at the time as well .

Both could be the meaning behind what we think is ATU on the headstone.

At that time in Austin, Unions were popular.

But the question of why they are not marked still seems odd to me, but that might not be an answer I will ever learn.

It could very well have been an act of charity, or a small group of people who just didn't have enough money for huge burials, so they split the cost of a plot.... or even a small family who bought the plot and didn't worry about names on the stones.

Then again,they could be aliens.. Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:22 am
I think what you're looking at is very early text message shorthand. "ATU" simply meant, "Here's looking at you."

Austin has always been a bellweather for teenage communication and for catchy one liners.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:26 am
Asherman wrote:
You might talk with Lesily Wolfenden (apparently living in Austin) to see how she arrived at her dating of Mrs. Murphy's death. .

Mrs Mary Murphy of Virginia
Wife of William Murphy

Born in 1788 in Virgina

Died in Texas 1861.

( so says a real close up picture of her headstone. )

Written across the bottom of the oval, wich is hard to read from the walking trail, and explains WHY i did not see it to begin with is her death date of 1861.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:27 am
Im trying to upload it now, but the file is HUGE.

it might not work.

But I can offer to email the picture to anyone who might be interested. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:28 am
Here it is, blown up and guaranteed to really stretch the screen. ( My apologies..! )

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6804/dsc0347ti9.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:29 am
that has to be one of the most fascinating grave markers I have ever seen.

If I wasn't so opposed to being buried, I would want one of those for myself.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:38 am
Here are 2 more beautiful pieces from the cemetery that I really love..

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3853/interestingmp0.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7476/23kq8.jpg

Pieces of that fence keep disappearing.
It is probally pretty valuable.. I personally just think it is really beautiful.
0 Replies