Adoption and social security cards (this is probably stupid)

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:13 pm
Mo (who is 5) received some money for Christmas.

We went to the bank today to open him a savings account.

They needed some ID from Mo - a social security number.

I told them that I had a number for him but it was under his old name.

We have not received his new birth certificate yet.

He was not allowed to open the account.

Well, okay.

So once I get his new birth certificate do I just apply to have his number transferred to a new name - kind of like when you get married or do I need to reapply or what?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 888 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:23 pm
Found this on the SSA site:

Quote:

How do I obtain a new Social Security number for a U.S. born adopted child?

Question
Our adoption of a 19-month-old is finalized. We have a new birth certificate for this child. This child was born in the United States and most likely has had a Social Security number. We need to get a new number for her. What must I do?

Answer
Generally when a child is adopted, Social Security will assign another Social Security number if the adoptive parents request one. Alternatively, we can issue a replacement card with the child's new name.

We do not assign new numbers for adopted children who:

Know they are adopted;
Receive Social Security benefits or Supplemental Security Income payments;
Have worked; or
Are adopted by a step-parent or other relative.
In these situations, we will update the child's record with the new identifying information and issue a corrected card with the child's new name under the same number.

To apply for a new Social Security number for your child:

Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
Show us documents proving your child's:
U.S. citizenship;
Age; and
Identity.
Show us a document proving your identity.
Take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.
All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

We also need evidence that establishes your relationship to the child if your name is not listed as the parent on the child's evidence of age. The adoption decree or the amended U.S. birth certificate will suffice.

We will mail your child's number and card as soon as we have verified your documents with the issuing offices.

For more information, see Documents You Need for a Social Security Card.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:42 pm
Wow!

Thank you, Butrflynet!

It sounds like all I will need is his new birth certificate (or a legal copy) and my drivers license! That doesn't sound too hard.
0 Replies