Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 10:30 am
Back in September I saw three very favorable reviews for Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More than We Think and put in a library request for the book.

Eventually I ordered the book (through the A2K Amazon link); read the book and passed it on along the family grapevine.

http://snipurl.com/15ytj

Wansink guestimates (but he's a scientific type and his guess is probably accurate) that the average person makes about 200 decisions a day about food and eating--and a majority of these decisions are made without much conscious thought.

Armed with this excerpt from the reviews, I started noticing just how often I crammed food into my mouth without thought and continued to eat after I was full.

This morning I filled Mr. Noddy's pre-measured serving of Corn Curls. Four corn curls wouldn't fit in the container. I could have eaten them, but instead I put them back in the Corn Curn bag and closed the bag.

Four corn curls--perhaps 20 calories.

Then I thawed a bowl of homemade clam chowder for breakfast. I remember that I'd frozen the servings measured for Mr. Noddy's build. He's eight inches taller than I am and 100 pounds heavier. I removed about 50 calories worth of clam chowder from the bowl.

I poured myself a glass of blueberry juice--which I adore but find cloying if I have too much. Instead of filling the 6 ounce glass, I poured only four ounces--saving about 30 calories.

Wansink makes the point that eating just 100-200 extra calories every day will result in an extra pound at the end of the month. Conversely, eliminating 100-200 extra calories from each days intake will result in the loss of a pound at the end of the month.

Most of us gain extra weight slowly, slowly, slowly but we gain.

You don't notice 100-200 calories--until your waistband starts getting snug--and frequently those extra calories aren't particularly enjoyable. I've been known to eat every morsel on my plate, whether I'm full or not, because I'm not paying attention to whether or not I'm enjoying my food.

Resolution for 2007: I'm no longer a member of the Clean Plate Club.

I've been known to bite into a pretzel, discover it is stale, finish it anyway and then pick up a second pretzel, just because the pretzels are there.

No more sitting next to the pretzels, stale or fresh.

Whole grain bread comes in enormous slices--almost half again as big as the customary Wonderbread acreage. I've started eating half sandwiches--less bread, less spread on the bread, less filling between the half-slices.

My Bone Man sentenced me to eight weeks of Physical Therapy which jumpstarted my metabolism. I'm continuing with a Wellness Membership to the Rehab Center.

I'm losing weight relatively painlessly just by paying attention to what I stuff in my mouth.

Control Freaks of the world, take heed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,325 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:11 am
Very good points Noddy.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:17 am
Excellent, Noddy. The times I have been successful in losing weight have been because I was willing to throw food away. I can recall shoving a cookie in my mouth, thinking, and then spitting it into the trash can with the realization that I didn't really want it.

Eating isn't the only thing that we do thoughtlessly, but it is probably one of the more noticeable. My resolution for 2007 is to do more thinking.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:57 pm
Chai--

Pass the word. I'm a bit of a control freak and am more than a bit bemused by my talent--my genius--for mindless eating.

FreeDuck--

Join the club. By 2008 we'll be wiser and much less bulky.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 03:49 pm
That's how I was able to lose the 50 pounds I lost and kept off 3 years ago. I cut out all the junk food, fast food, sugars, salt and as much processed food as possible. I also pre-cook and pre-portion my food and kept it frozen so it isn't so easy to snack on. Watered down juices, cooking from scratch and tight monthly grocery budgets help me stick to just the cheapest neccesities.

I try to make choices based on nutrition and need not impulse and stock up when those items are in season and on sale. Chewing on whole stick cinnamon fills that need for something sweet without the calories. Apples and bananas take the place of sugar. Lemons take the place of salt and yogurt takes the place of mayonaise. When I prepare a meal, I cut the portion in half and wrap half up for a later meal. When I make stir frys I use the meat as a flavoring rather than a main ingredient. Meatloafs use brown rice as a filler rather than the typical bread crumbs and I stuff them with lots of chopped veggies. I try to use herbs and spices as flavorings rather than salty, sugary condiments. When frying onions or other vegetables, I use water rather than oil and then add just a tiny bit of butter for flavor at the end. I eat a heck of a lot of oatmeal rather than packaged breakfast cereals.

I try to do my grocery shopping just once a month. That reduces the opportunities for impulse temptations. If I need more fresh produce during the month, I go to the neighborhood farmer's market rather than the grocery store. Nothing but vegetables and fruit to choose from there.

I also bought smaller plates and bowls at the thrift store to fool my mind into thinking I was eating a lot because the plates were full. Jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles and knitting help keep the hands busy. I still have a hard time when I'm reading books. I used to smoke while reading then when I eliminated that, I turned to candy. Now, when I read, I have this yearning for something to chew on while reading. In the summer, I munch on chipped ice cubes or frozen grapes. It's too cold for that in winter so I just sip hot herbal teas or hot apple juice and chew on cinnamon sticks.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 04:59 pm
That sounds like a great book. Getting right to the important stuff regarding eating - mindfulness and nutrition! - rather than feeding the common obsession with 'good' and 'bad'.

Way to kick some butt, Noddy. Smile What a great way to take full advantage of the Bone Man situation.

I'm jumping on board to the more mindful eating wagon. Another control freak here.

I feel plain gross after holiday binging. Seems all had this idea to fatten me up this year, with gifts of chocolates and delicious coffees and other goodies. The pile is literally overflowing off my desk in my bedroom - what was once a tiny stash for chocoholic cravings has turned into my own personal chocolate shop. I knew it was time to get a grip the morning I woke up, rolled over to answer the phone, and started picking out the chocolate boxes for breakfast.

That said, it really is a lot of fun to progress physically imho. I get silly thrills in shaving off unessentials. Nothing can beat that feeling of being a clean, mean machine.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 05:29 pm
Mindless eating is fairly new to humans. In the past, finding food, creating food, saving food and preparing food was a very mindful event. I'm in the process of ordering my vegetable seeds for next years garden, so I'm mindfully planning what I will be eating in 8 months from now - unlike the handful of cashews I just scarfed down when I was in the kitchen.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 11:02 am
The author was just interviewed on PBS and gave this link to his website:

http://www.mindlesseating.org/

The site is very slow right now. Obviously a lot of people listen to PBS.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 11:08 am
I heard him this morning driving home with the paper, as I was munching on a Hersheys bar with almonds. Over the past 2 years Ive gained about 35 pounds and , my college weight was about 185 SO , I AM getting Fat (there I said it and Im free). I like his theory that , wihtout stressing ourselves, make these little changes that, over a year or more can reduce the weight and theres almost no thinking needed.

GOODBYE MR HERSHEY BAR, ADIEU MADAM POTATO CHIP, SO LONG SUGARED UP COFFEE.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 11:31 am
Farmerman--

Don't ditch all your vices at once. You could make your January goal, "No Hershey bars" or "No gooey coffee". Or you could impose a new rule, "No eating in the car."

I'm off to the kitchen to create some user-friendly vegetables. I think the French call them "crudites" which makes them much more elegant but doesn't change the calorie count one bit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 12:00 pm
Mindfulness.

Like it.

I sort of started this in the weeks just before Christmas when vendors traditionally send in lots of food, and I felt required to sample everything. Not December 2006. I tried to make conscious decisions about what I really really wanted/needed to try - and if I didn't like it - I spit it out. Having the wedding boot camp desk buddy helped - we went to the trough together - and often walked away empty-handed.

Mindfulness.

Will keep at it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the links, Mistress Noddy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 12:05 pm
Re: the sugars we all want to avoid.

I know I've mentioned this before, but in the last few months I been looking at foods with the mind to low glycemic load.

everyone knows to avoid sugar, and it's pretty obvious in a candy bar. But doing some internet reading, I saw how making just a few changes that were really painless really changed the way I felt.

It all started when I bought some Clif bars, just for the hell of it. It said on the wrapper they had a "moderate glycemic load" and had no idea what that meant, so before I even ate one, I looked it up.

I was skeptical, it didn't look, by the size of the bar it would stay with me very long. Wow was I wrong. I mindfully ate half of one, mid morning, because I knew we were all going out to lunch. If I'd eaten half a candy bar or half a granola bar, a banana or something, I'd have been starving by lunch time. But....I wasn't.

I don't eat them every day, but when I do, I notice I really don't "have" to eat lunch until an hour or two later. Clif also makes Luna bars that have more nutriants like calcium and omega 3 oil, are actually tastier and have a few less calories.

When looking at a matrix of glycemic loads for various foods, the upper left corner had the food with the lowest load....Whole grains. In the lower right quadrant was the food with highest load....guess what food (not straight sugar) that was....?

Are you guessing?

Thinking?

It was........

(drumroll).........

It was..........

POTATOS!!!!

I'm not a big tater chip fan, but when I could see in black in white how short a time a thin slice of potato fried in hydrogenated fat stayed with you.....WOW.

farmerman....I can't explain the following very well, but I know you can. I was reading the difference between glycemic load and glycemic index....similar but different.

whatever it was, it made me realize to pay more attention to the load than the index. Can you explain the difference for us?

BTW, I was surprised by the effect of eating a variety of the same food. For instance, I never thought to choose regular oatmeal over instant, but it makes sense. In instant, the oats are cut so finely, it's like some of the breakdown/digestion has been done for you. Instead, make your body work to digest the whole food form.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 12:11 pm
Interesting experiment I saw on TV, with normally hearty breakfast eaters being blindfolded and then given their usual 3 eggs, 8 rashers of bacon, 3 sausages, hash browns etc. When they couldn't see it, they ate about a third of the food and said they were full. They also said it didn't taste as good as normal!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 12:22 pm
Looks like a good book, makes sense. I like how it fits into the "we are a species that has evolved to survive starvation, not resist abundance" idea -- those 200 decisions a day were very different before the time of grocery stores and refrigerators. If there is nothing at hand and you have to go gather it or catch it if you want to eat; or if you have limited stores to get through the winter and eating it now means starvation later, it makes sense that those decisions would be much different.

Personally, I don't do well with any kind of mindfulness + food, though. I already know all kinds of things about what I should and shouldn't do. Where I do best is when I simply don't think about food. Then I eat when I'm hungry and have the very occasional treat. When I think about food -- even in positive terms, about what I should be doing and how manageable that is and how beneficial it will be -- that's when the cravings start. OK, I didn't clean sozlet's plate after she was full and I had a healthy breakfast, have I "earned" that bowl of ice cream? Haven't I? I really want it. Man it looks good. What's a bowl in the scheme of things?

Etc.

If I make it purely about exercise, the food stuff seems to fall into place. I don't think about it consciously at the time, but if I look back on the week, say, it tends to be a very good week, nutritionally-speaking.

Even if I'm not exercising, though, my diet is always better if I don't think about it much and just go by what my body is telling me. (Luckily, my body and I communicate pretty well.)

That's just me and my idosyncracies, though, I like the underlying message here and think it's far more useful than most dieting advice.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 12:32 pm
Soz--

Invest in a box of oyster crackers.

Yes, dogs can be taught to salivate to the sound of a buzzer, but a sensual woman can learn that if a dry oyster cracker doesn't melt in her mouth she's probably not hungry and substituting food for something else.

Scarfing down a bowl of ice cream because you've reviewed your choices and you want it is "mindful" eating. Eating the Sozelet's leftovers is not, even if your self-sacrifice frees her from the legacy of the Clean Plate Club.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 12:37 pm
Right, but what I'm saying is that for ME, if I'm not "mindful" (thinking about what I'm eating) I don't even WANT the ice cream. It doesn't occur to me, I just don't think about it.

And my body seems to take care of the rest. I'll eat sozlet's leftovers if she ate first and I haven't had lunch yet, putting a dent in what I eat for the rest of my lunch, but if I'm not hungry, I won't eat it. All of this while conscious decisions are about what errands we will be doing today, whether I should email someone, whether I should check on the status of a package, etc. Not food.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 02:02 pm
When you decide to eat the ice cream, how much ice cream do you eat?

A scoop? Two scoops? A heaping bowl?

Do you treat the ice cream in the freezer and the left-over cauliflower in the refrigerator the same way?

Are some flavors of ice cream more delightful than others?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 05:28 pm
chai, Im not sure about the difference between glycemic loads and indeces. Ill see a nutritionist now that youve stung me deeply about the ....uhhh....potato chip thing. I live on UTS potato chips. They are awesome and I keep a bunch of the 99 cent bags in my truck for long hauls and if I dont have time for lunches.

Woe isme.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 05:34 pm
Noddy-no eating in the truck. OF COURSE!!
All I need is some will to stick with that. Maybe I xcan do one of these things.
Quote:
I'm off to the kitchen to create some user-friendly vegetables. I think the French call them "crudites" which makes them much more elegant but doesn't change the calorie count one bit.

Mrs F would make me snack bags of carrots and celery and **** like that. Id get about 2 miles down the road and dump the stuff near my neighbors pig whos always laying next to the road. He knows the sound of my diesel means veggies for him. If my wife ever read this , Im in the trunk on the way to the meadowlands
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 05:36 pm
farmerman wrote:
chai, Im not sure about the difference between glycemic loads and indeces. Ill see a nutritionist now that youve stung me deeply about the ....uhhh....potato chip thing. I live on UTS potato chips. They are awesome and I keep a bunch of the 99 cent bags in my truck for long hauls and if I dont have time for lunches.

Woe isme.

Seriously, buy a couple of clif bars and see how you do with them.

I avoid the ones that sound like regular snacks. They have a cookies and cream and brownie and a couple others like that.

Instead, I get the Lemon Poppy Seed, Peanut Butter something or other, Cranberry something, Banana Bread....you know, ones that have real food in them.

The Luna Bars have lots of interesting flavors. Lemon Zest, Chai Tea (yes, Chai Tea, has some kind of dulce tea like coating on top) Blueberry, etc. There is one called chocolate peppermint that I do indulge in, yum.
0 Replies