Party on Wayne: a headbanger holiday

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 07:57 pm
the hook, the beat.... art is art because something resonates in you. If certain tunes resonate with you, then it's art. That's it. It's undefineable. "and yes, that even goes for metal and young kids.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:24 pm
I think you're right about that, Bear.

Once upon a time I was enrolled at a very prestigious art school filled with black clad twenty-somethings who snickered at the rubes who just didn't get it.

I hated it there and quickly transferred out.

While I do think that knowledge can help a person appreciate something outside their ususal - hence, this thread, - I do think that if something doesn't move you, it simply doesn't.

I might never be moved by metal music but I can learn to appreciate the skill and creativity that goes into making it and I can enjoy it from that perspective.

Honestly, this thread has helped me listen to a lot of familiar music with fresh ears and I thank you all for that.

I already find myself Peter and the Wolf-ing it: Listen to the lead guitar, and now the bass..... do you hear the drummer changing the beat?.....
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:33 pm
Totally love the Peter/Wolf reference, boomer...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:34 pm
Do you download music from the internet? You could put together playlists of metal songs that don't have ridiculously explicit lyrics. Could still tap into some of the real "metal" bands while picking and choosing which tracks.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:19 pm
I don't download music but really it is all Swimpy's fault.

And, oh yeah, the fact that my computer is completely screwed up.

It is only by the grace of God that I can still run Photoshop and that my lab does everything online.

In other words, I fried my CD burner.

And then I have this whole copyright hang up. I won't download copyrighted material. Professional courtesy and all that.

I could probably get my neighbor - the total computer geek-freak - to do it for me if I had the song list though.....

But I would still have to go through pay sites.

A girl has to have some standards, ya' know.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 01:27 am
Boomer I think the genre of music you are looking for is Rock, possibly Hard rock. not metal.

Gaaaa!!!!!!!!!! I just klicked on a hillbilly dixie AC/DC tribute band. This is NOT a tribute it is an ABOMINATION.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:06 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Judas Priest... get their greatest hits cd... they are the metal gods. end of story.

Dude!

Yeah, Boomer, the little man in my life loved when I would play "Turbo Lover" in the car. He was hooked.

The great thing about heavier tunes and little guys is it is a way for them to outlet aggressive energy without destructing anything!

Good times...
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:54 am
<grimacing>< at mention of White Stripes.

One of my favorite bands as a youth was Life Of Agony. The early work, not the pissing and moaning without anger of the later work. Too much suicidal reference for Mo, but worth a mention none-the-less.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:03 am
dadpad wrote:
Boomer I think the genre of music you are looking for is Rock, possibly Hard rock. not metal.

Gaaaa!!!!!!!!!! I just klicked on a hillbilly dixie AC/DC tribute band. This is NOT a tribute it is an ABOMINATION.

You must be talking about Hayseed Dixie they're hilarious. Check out the download of "I'm keeping your poop in a jar".

Metal has become such an all encompassing term. Priestr is metal.... AC/DC is not. Van Halen has metal moments because of the guitart work. Van Hagar is top 40 pap. Black Sabbath, although they deny the term, is definitely metal. The innovators. Slayer is metal. Crue is more metal than the majority of the hair bands. Hair bands got thrown into the meatl genre but I would never call Quiet Riot for instance a metal band, although they are recognized in the industry as the first meatl band to ever hit number one on Billboard.

Iron Maiden is metal and they rule. Nor quite Priest, but they rule.

I can't listen to the newer metal because of the screaming. I'm a vocalist. The music is great but I need vocals.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:59 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I can't listen to the newer metal because of the screaming. I'm a vocalist. The music is great but I need vocals.

I thought that was punk....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 11:08 am
DrewDad wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I thought that was punk....

Not at all... nu metal and death metal and black metal and speed metal it's all growling....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 04:35 pm
I also dig Helmet, and Mudvayne. Both bands mix the vocals up...some songs are growling, some are actually singing. Helmet has some f'n great tracks. I saw them live last year at a tiny club, standing right in front of the stage.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:46 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I can't listen to the newer metal because of the screaming.

Speaking of screaming, I heard a metal blast-from-the-past on the radio as I was driving home today: Mötorhead.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 07:12 pm
I found a best of Judas Priest and Van Halen 1984 today but Mo is being a little knot-heat with only fireworks on the brain so we haven't really listened yet. A little, but not fully.

With the vocals thing.... this is really hitting me where I've always had a problem with "metal" or whatever we're calling it now. In so many cases the vocals don't add anything to the music and often they seem to distract from it because it really does sound very screechy and.... I don't know how to descibe it.

Take Aerosmith for an example - I've always liked them and I like the singer's voice. But with the AC/DC I bought the other day and with the little of the Judas Priest album I heard today I like the music just fine but I'm not too keen on the vocals. And it's not the words -- it is the delivery, the way the song is "sung".

The songs on the Van Halen album are very familiar songs to me and I like them. Funny how they sound very "pop" after my excursion into harder stuff. But I really like pop music too so......

I might have to clean my palette on some Nirvana or Bonnie Raitt or Iggy Pop tomorrow and delve back in when Mo is back at school and I can head bang in the privacy of solitude.

I've made a new year's resolution to listen outside my usual and to buy more music. It should be an interesting year!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 07:18 pm
rob halford has amazing range and versatility... you need to listen to the entire cd....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 07:29 pm
I wasn't listening in the best of all possible circumstances -- far from it. I can usually pay attention to music even while distracted but today was.... errr.... intense.

I'll give it a fresh listen as soon as I have a chance.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 07:33 pm
Watching with interest :-D
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 10:34 am
This isn't heavy metal at all, but sozlet still likes to do the air guitar, or at least fake-guitar posturing (I haven't committed to real lessons yet, she still wants them), and I do Youtube searches for this and that. A big hit recently was "I love Rock 'n' Roll" by Joan Jett. (She trends towards liking rock chicks though.)
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 11:01 am
Boom, check out the song "Before the Dawn". It'll warm you up to the beauty of Mr. Halford's voice.
0 Replies