To a sound judgment, the most abstract truth is...

coberst

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:08 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 485 • Replies: 3
No top replies

aidan

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:14 am
Quote:

Here's a practical way of applying or thinking about the abstract idea of happiness that someone explained to me. They were describing the life of someone who was generally happy as compared to the life of someone who was generally unhappy. And they said that people are given a set amount of time in a life and some fill that time with activities that generate happiness (for themselves and others) and others choose to fill it differently-even when given equal means and opportunity. He saw happiness, not as some elusive state of being, but as the result of choices over which we as individuals have some (if not most) of the control, often as simple as how or how not to fill our time. I found myself agreeing.

I thought that was a good practical way to look at what is quite an abstract concept. because it's one in which we (the participants) have control, whereas in terms of realizing justice or fairness - there are many other variables involved, not the least of which is the perception of what exactly justice and fairness actually is by those who may be assigned to mete it out.

I'm glad to see you back Coberst. I was wondering where you were...
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:58 am
Aidan

I traveled back to Oklahoma for a family reunion for Cristmas. All of my children and grandchildren were together for the first time in many years. It was great. When all members with associated spouses and important 'others' got together there was 17 of us.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:35 pm
Sounds as if you generated some happiness for yourself in the form of a wonderful family. Anyway - welcome back.
0 Replies