I Fried My Hard Drive

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:08 pm
Hi!

I am writing this from my community computer cafe. We had a severe thunderstorm yesterday, and I turned the computer off while it was booting up. When I went to turn it on again, I got a message that there was something wrong, and Windows would not boot up, in order to prevent further damage to my computer.

Anyhow, I called Dell, and the tech put me through some diagnostics. Apparently what I had done had caused the hard drive to fail. I am on the warrantee, and a tech will be out with a new hard drive.Usually they do it in 2-3 business days, but since this is a holiday week, it may take longer.

So if you don't see me around for awhile, you will know why. Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 982 • Replies: 19
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:15 pm
bummer
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:00 pm
Sometimes all occasions do conspire against us.

At least you aren't in hurricane season and Mr. P. is not crawling around on the roof checking for damage.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 04:19 pm
Hope he's there ASAP & gets the job done very quickly, Phoenix!
Damn!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 04:21 pm
Gee, what should you have done instead?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 04:29 pm
Phoenix, When you fried your harddrive, did you use margerine or virgin olive oili?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:28 pm
cicerone, I think Windows uses that unhealthy vegetable shortening. Wink

Phoenix, happened to me a couple of month ago - life without a computer
can be cruel, so cruel. Here is hoping to a fast computer tech which is
probably an oxymoron in Florida.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:48 pm
But it tastes soooo good!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:11 pm
I've had my share of computer fries, so I know it's no fun and frustrating.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 04:57 am
I'd suggest that saying you've fried your hard drive was a little premature.
It's much more likely that there are just a couple of toasted files that are required for boot.
A bit of MBR reconstruction and a boot sector TLC would probably have had you back up and running.

If the Dell technician is going to replace your drive then make sure you get all your stuff off there first or you'll lose the lot to the reformatter.
Get the tech to plug it in as a second drive so you can get the stuff off there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 05:42 am
Don't worry, phoenix. Gus and a number of us have got your back while you are away.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:23 am
Heliotrope, Your suggestion of connecting the old drive witt the new one makes a whole lot of sense, but won't the "problem" pursist with the new drive?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:42 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

At least you aren't in hurricane season and Mr. P. is not crawling around on the roof checking for damage.

Oh puhleeze! He was up in the attic checking for a leak.

Heliotrope- Anyhow, the advice about the old hard drive came too late. I already sent it back.

I nearly went out of my mind reformating the hard drive. I was ok, except for the driver disc. I could not make head nor tail of how to work it, as it was not intuituve like all the others. Besides, the tech had a heavy Indian accent, and spoke like she was on a speeding train.

I already called a professional to do the dirty work, but he wasn't around. In the meantime, I felt a bit frisky this afternoon, and called Dell again. This time I got a tech who knew what he was doing. Actually, he took over my computer, and installed the drivers for me. The rest I could do myself.

I have been spending since 3 pm configuring this damn thing, but it works. In the meantime, I picked up yet another (I had one on my other hard drive) System 32 error. The tech suggested that we start from scratch, but I told him that I can live with a system 32 error. (You just click it off). He said that he would call me on Tuesday, and if there are any problems, we could reformat it again. Evil or Very Mad

Well, I am back, groggy, disheveled, and very headachy. I hope that this installation is ok.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:55 pm
Good luck, Phoenix!

Something tells me it's gonna work! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 08:07 am
Well, as you can see, the 'puter is up and running. I still have the system 32 error, but I don't care.

The funniest thing is putting my desktop icons in the same places as they were before. I realized how important it was, when I automatically clicked on what I thought was A2K, and got the weather site instead. I never realized how your body becomes accustomed to having things in one place, and it is very discombobbulating to have things moved around.

What I did was not look at the desktop, and just clicked where I thought that something should be. When it wasn't, I made a few adjustments, and now it seems to be all right.

Another thing. I could never stand the look of Windows XP. One of the first things that I did when I got the computer to work, was to reset it, so that it was in "Windows Classic" mode. (That's the Win 98 look)
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 05:20 am
Well at least you're back up and running.
I always keep my desktop in the Win'98 look too. Can't stand that "My First Computer" Fisher Price look to the XP desktop.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 06:16 am
Heliotrope- I find all that color disturbing. It's plain vanilla for me. I even have a solid color on my desktop.

I started my next project, and that is removing all the unneeded startup items. It is a bit of a job, because I have to look everything up, and make a judgement as to whether an item is absolutely necessary at startup. So far, I took off a number of obvious things that did not have to be there, and the computer is a bit faster booting up.

It was amazing. When the computer was first working, and I did not have many programs on it yet, it booted up in a jiffy. Now it is somewhat slower, but better than what I had on the other hard drive.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 06:35 am
If you do have a lot of things you don't really want to lose but don't use that often then sometimes it's worth creating a new profile with all that stuff on it.
You can have a fast load profile too that's stripped down to the minimum with stuff you use day-to-day.
To swap between them you just log off and log onto the other one.
Just a thought...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 06:38 am
Hmmm........................Gotta think about that. Thanks for the suggestion!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 11:24 am
The reason that I have not been around is that not long after my cumputer was up and running, when my broadband went kerflooey. It was not me, 'cause every one on the block who had Bright House had the same problem. In fact, my lower TV channels were snowy, and my hi-def non-existent. One guy on the block who had a digital phone, was without phone service.

We all screamed and yelled, and now it is finally back on.
0 Replies