10 myths about atheism

xingu

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 06:49 am
Quote:
10 myths -- and 10 truths -- about atheism1) Atheists believe that life is meaningless
On the contrary, religious people often worry that life is meaningless and imagine that it can only be redeemed by the promise of eternal happiness beyond the grave. Atheists tend to be quite sure that life is precious. Life is imbued with meaning by being really and fully lived. Our relationships with those we love are meaningful now; they need not last forever to be made so. Atheists tend to find this fear of meaninglessness … well … meaningless.

2) Atheism is responsible for the greatest crimes in human history
People of faith often claim that the crimes of Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot were the inevitable product of unbelief. The problem with fascism and communism, however, is not that they are too critical of religion; the problem is that they are too much like religions. Such regimes are dogmatic to the core and generally give rise to personality cults that are indistinguishable from cults of religious hero worship. Auschwitz, the gulag and the killing fields were not examples of what happens when human beings reject religious dogma; they are examples of political, racial and nationalistic dogma run amok. There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable.

3) Atheism is dogmatic
Jews, Christians and Muslims claim that their scriptures are so prescient of humanity's needs that they could only have been written under the direction of an omniscient deity. An atheist is simply a person who has considered this claim, read the books and found the claim to be ridiculous. One doesn't have to take anything on faith, or be otherwise dogmatic, to reject unjustified religious beliefs. As the historian Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-71) once said: "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

4) Atheists think everything in the universe arose by chance
No one knows why the universe came into being. In fact, it is not entirely clear that we can coherently speak about the "beginning" or "creation" of the universe at all, as these ideas invoke the concept of time, and here we are talking about the origin of space-time itself.

The notion that atheists believe that everything was created by chance is also regularly thrown up as a criticism of Darwinian evolution. As Richard Dawkins explains in his marvelous book, "The God Delusion," this represents an utter misunderstanding of evolutionary theory. Although we don't know precisely how the Earth's early chemistry begat biology, we know that the diversity and complexity we see in the living world is not a product of mere chance. Evolution is a combination of chance mutation and natural selection. Darwin arrived at the phrase "natural selection" by analogy to the "artificial selection" performed by breeders of livestock. In both cases, selection exerts a highly non-random effect on the development of any species.

5) Atheism has no connection to science6) Atheists are arrogant7) Atheists are closed to spiritual experience8) Atheists believe that there is nothing beyond human life and human understanding
Atheists are free to admit the limits of human understanding in a way that religious people are not. It is obvious that we do not fully understand the universe; but it is even more obvious that neither the Bible nor the Koran reflects our best understanding of it. We do not know whether there is complex life elsewhere in the cosmos, but there might be. If there is, such beings could have developed an understanding of nature's laws that vastly exceeds our own. Atheists can freely entertain such possibilities. They also can admit that if brilliant extraterrestrials exist, the contents of the Bible and the Koran will be even less impressive to them than they are to human atheists.

From the atheist point of view, the world's religions utterly trivialize the real beauty and immensity of the universe. One doesn't have to accept anything on insufficient evidence to make such an observation.

9) Atheists ignore the fact that religion is extremely beneficial to society
Those who emphasize the good effects of religion never seem to realize that such effects fail to demonstrate the truth of any religious doctrine. This is why we have terms such as "wishful thinking" and "self-deception." There is a profound distinction between a consoling delusion and the truth.

In any case, the good effects of religion can surely be disputed. In most cases, it seems that religion gives people bad reasons to behave well, when good reasons are actually available. Ask yourself, which is more moral, helping the poor out of concern for their suffering, or doing so because you think the creator of the universe wants you to do it, will reward you for doing it or will punish you for not doing it?

10) Atheism provides no basis for morality

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-op-harris24dec24,0,2719494.story?track=mostviewed-storylevel
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,162 • Replies: 30
No top replies

anton bonnier

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 05:50 pm
Xing.

Thanks for that... would be interesting to know how many " religious" persons on able2know bothered to read it, on the percentage you mention... should be 17%. of 100%.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:10 am
I can only put the information out; I can't make them read.
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:57 pm
I heard they eat their own babies!!! :wink:

Very good post.

Quote:
1) Atheists believe that life is meaningless
On the contrary, religious people often worry that life is meaningless and imagine that it can only be redeemed by the promise of eternal happiness beyond the grave. Atheists tend to be quite sure that life is precious. Life is imbued with meaning by being really and fully lived. Our relationships with those we love are meaningful now; they need not last forever to be made so. Atheists tend to find this fear of meaninglessness … well … meaningless.

Too many people don't think this one out... this is probably the one that I hear the most from Christians, and the one that drives me up the wall. Atheists have the same natural feelings and desires that all of us are born with, why would their want of love and peaceful existence be any different?
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:06 pm
excellent article. great post Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:12 pm
thunder32 wrote:

Very good post.

Quote:

Too many people don't think this one out... this is probably the one that I hear the most from Christians, and the one that drives me up the wall. Atheists have the same natural feelings and desires that all of us are born with, why would their want of love and peaceful existence be any different?

Often, I hear that the supposed source of feelings and desires is a sacred one. Christians don't see atheists as living in an atheist world, remember...they think we live in a god's world but foolishly pretending otherwise.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 03:05 am
bm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 03:49 am
I do wonder if this prejudice against atheists also exists anywhere else in the west? Does anyone have results of similar research about other western countries?

I have been reading other bits of writing about attitudes in the US...but I cannot recall comparative data.

I find it incomprehensible re the US.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:39 am
According to the June, 2006, Harper's Index atheists rank first in "Minorities I wish my Child Would Not Marry." Muslims are second and Blacks are third.
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 03:36 pm
Eorl wrote:
thunder32 wrote:

Very good post.

Quote:

Often, I hear that the supposed source of feelings and desires is a sacred one. Christians don't see atheists as living in an atheist world, remember...they think we live in a god's world but foolishly pretending otherwise.

Well, if it's sacred, how could anyone go evil to good? Or...why wouldn't God just give us all a great enough desire to be good?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:58 pm
Buggered if I know! You'd have to ask a Christian. They find ways to make all kinds of bizarre ideas look logical.
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:06 am
If you would've asked me about a year ago, I would have given you some total BS response that I would've sincerely believed. It's odd....getting epiphanies...
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:26 pm
Very nice Xingu.

Unfortuneately there is one problem. While these ten things might apply to some atheists, not all atheists fit your discription. There are many different "types" of atheists, just as there are many different "types" of Christians. Good types and bad types, one might say.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:29 pm
thunder,
From what I see it looks like you got one bloody big epiphany!
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 12:21 am
Those statistics saying 87% believe in God, doesn't seem so realistic.

I have a couple atheist friends...

I'm a christian and I have never come done hard on an atheist, not even a friend. Respecting them as a human being and loving them is a christian thing and regretibly I guess I'm a small portion of society that doesn't hate atheists. (statistically speaking)

Honestly I don't know what to say. Faith is sometimes hard to just manifest out of nowhere.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 01:52 am
acepilot wrote:

I'm a christian and I have never come done hard on an atheist, not even a friend. Respecting them as a human being and loving them is a christian thing and regretibly I guess I'm a small portion of society that doesn't hate atheists. (statistically speaking)

Think about it. Why in the world would anyone "hate atheists"? Could it be that somewhere deep inside, the theist may be threatened by the concept that maybe the atheist is "on" to something. Once faith is breached, it falls, like a house of cards, for its lack of coherence.

Respecting and loving people is a "Christian" thing? I think that it is a trait of good human beings, no matter what their beliefs. It really angers me when Christians really believe that they are the only ones who exhibit loving kindness to other people. I think that stance is not only incorrect, but incredibly arrogant.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 03:48 pm
Pheonix,
I agree.

I have hate towards SOME Christians, but that is towards their ignorance and stubborness. It wouldn't matter what there beliefs were, I would still hate their ignorance and stubborness.

I know some (one) very intelligent and thoughtful Christian, and I respect his views and opinions. He is not one bit ignorant and stubborn, but knowledgable, wise and willing to look at things from another point of view.

Pity there's only one of him...
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 03:49 pm
Cancel that, I'm sure there's plenty of intelligent Christians out there. I just haven't met them.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 10:18 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
acepilot wrote:

Think about it. Why in the world would anyone "hate atheists"? Could it be that somewhere deep inside, the theist may be threatened by the concept that maybe the atheist is "on" to something. Once faith is breached, it falls, like a house of cards, for its lack of coherence.

Respecting and loving people is a "Christian" thing? I think that it is a trait of good human beings, no matter what their beliefs. It really angers me when Christians really believe that they are the only ones who exhibit loving kindness to other people. I think that stance is not only incorrect, but incredibly arrogant.

Hmm...maybe I should of used a different word than "thing". This could be argued that being good and such is human being trait.

Being Christian just reminds you (on a daily basis) of these good traits. I'm sorry I had to "claim them". I don't know, I guess when you're around others who aren't exactly portraying the natural good human traits, you tend to label yourself. Which is natural.

If you realize the good things in life and establish for yourself a basis of what you think is wrong and right without religion, major props to you.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:53 am
I think I pinched this from Abl2know some time ago, don't really remember where ( being 73 has it's drawbacks )... as a atheist it explained "GOD" very well I thought.
Quote....
Why continue to buy into the Abrahamic definition of God? Those folks define God as male, outside of a finite time/space construct. That sort of God know all and has a Grand Plan for all of creation. Though the Abrahamic types typically deny it, their definition of God pretty much is the antithesis of Free Will. The God of their definition meddles with the laws of physics and mathematics from time to time, and that implies divine chaos in a system where magic prevails over rationality. No one can be blamed for doubting, or rejecting that notion of God. The amazing thing is so many don't seem to have any problem with accepting a definition so at odds with what we think we know about how the universe actually works.

Try this definition of God, and see if you don't find it much more worthy of belief. God is that infinite underlying reality that is the foundation of the observed universe. Without form, or limits of any kind, God is always present in all things. God did not create the universe, nor will God end it, for God and the universe are infinite and unbounded. God doesn't meddle with the universe, because he is the universe and the universe in it's totality is God. The laws of God, mathematics and physics are the same, though our understanding and appreciation of the Law is faulty. Cause and effect operate throughout the universe, and statistical probabilities can be calculated, but specific predictions localized to a single set of coordinates can never be 100%. The sun will rise in the American Southwest at a particular time, but whether I'll wake up at that moment is not predictable. Magic (the transcendance of physical and mathematical law) doesn't exist outside the imagination of sentient beings. God doesn't take sides, because God is all sides. There is either no devine plan, or it is not knowable from observation by scientific means.

In this definition, we are all part of God along with the highest mountains, and the deepest seas. We are no more, nor less, a part of God than a garden snail, or a creature living beneath a sheet of ice on a planet orbiting a star several galaxies away. We are God, and God is sum total of all the stars and atomic elements that have ever existed. Nothing can be apart from God, nor outside the infinite universe. A great deal of the suffering we and other sentient beings experience is caused by our false perception that we are unique and separate from the universe/God.

And if that doesn't light your fire, why not some other definition of God different from either this one, or the little bully that the Abrahamic religions worship and use to justify their prejudices?
0 Replies