Forgot wireless Key

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:27 pm
I'm trying to pick up a signal on my laptop, but I forgot the wireless key code... I have a desktop computer that has my router hooked up to it, is there anyway to find out what my password is on the desktop computer with the router so I can pick up the signal on my laptop? Thanks!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,360 • Replies: 7
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:36 pm
Yes, there is - prolly, anyhow; lotsa "password crackers/revealers" are available - some good, and relatively safe, some not so good and some decidedly unsafe to use. However, IMO likely the best thing to do in your situation is to delete your current wireless networking profile from both machines and from your router and reconfigure from scratch. Then pick a password you aren't likely to forget.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:49 pm
same issue, sorta. I have a flash memory that has all my pics from my previous puter. When I plug it in to my USB It asks for username and password which I don't think I ever entered. at any rate I can't download any of the pics I had stored.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:31 pm
That's a bummer, Dys - ain't really a related problem, but its still a bummer. Off hand, I don't have a decent answer handy for ya ... I'll try to see if I can come up with something.
0 Replies

IronMan2007

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:50 am
Wireless Key
And how do you delete a Network profile?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 08:20 pm
I'd do a hard reset of my router (usually accomplished via a button on the device which needs to be pressed with a straightened paperclip or the like, and usually labeled something very like "Reset") - then turn it off for a few minutes, then turn it back on, which would have the effect of clearing all user-defined parameters and restoring the device to "As Shipped" default configuration. I would then use my laptop's wireless configuration untility to delete profile there. With all of that done, I'd go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network Connections and delete the Wireless connection. Following that, I'd use Device Manager to uninstall my laptop's wireless adapter. Then I'd reboot and hope the machine would autodetect the adapter and reinstall it. If that much went well, I'd reconfigure the router and the adapter - using passwords, network names, and security keys I'd be unlikely to forget.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 09:49 pm
You are only missing the wireless encryption key, correct?

If you have access to the router from your desktop then you can simply reset the wireless key. That means you need to know the password you used when you set up the router. Some routers allow you to view the key when you access them.

Some routers require you to hold the reset button for 3-5 seconds. This is to prevent an accidentel reset.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 09:52 pm
dyslexia wrote:
same issue, sorta. I have a flash memory that has all my pics from my previous puter. When I plug it in to my USB It asks for username and password which I don't think I ever entered. at any rate I can't download any of the pics I had stored.

I'm assuming you did try leaving the name and password blank and hitting the OK button.
0 Replies