Burning CDs

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 07:06 pm
After using my new HP computer (model a1550y) for several months, I want to make CDs of some of the data that have accumulated, but I have no idea how to do this. Nothing listed on the Start menu seems relevant to burning CDs, although my computer is an HP Media Center and should have the necessary hard and software.

How do I go about burning CDs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 557 • Replies: 7
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 07:31 pm
waht happens if you insert a blank cd, does a window pop up with various tasks

if not, after inserting a disc, go to my computer and right click on the disc drive, select open, on the left at the top of the window should be a section called file and folder tasks, one of the choices available should be to transfer data to the disc
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 08:49 pm
That machine's standard software complement appears to include an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturor) version of Roxio's Record Now (formerly Sonic RecordNow). OEM versions of software included with a PC purchase frequently are somewhat limited in capability, but any OEM burning app should provide a casual user plenty of usability, and RecordNow is an able, reliable, simple-to-use app, IMO. Look in your Program File for something in part named or resembling "RecordNow" - its possible also it was not installed at shipping but is on a disc which came with your machine - but seems to me most likely it oughtta be already factory installed. Anyhow, once you get to where you can open the app, consult its "Help" file for detailed instructions. The support page section of the vendor's website (linked earlier) also offers a FAQ, some tutorials, and a discussion board.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:01 pm
the set of programs i received with my computer included "nero" software . it does a nice job of burning cd's .
did your computer come "pre-installed" with windows and other software ?
if so , there should be a list of all the programs when start your computer .
i have a disc from which i installed the software i wanted .
after i have started the computer several major programs/actions (such as : defrag) show on the screen and one shows "all other prgrams ; when i click on it , it lists about 50-60 programs/functions , many with subfunction .
i don't even know about all the things the computer can perform .
hbg
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 10:11 am
Burning CDs
Thank you all for your help. I can't do anything about it now, because I find that I bought a stack of DVDs, not CDs & the computer won't copy to them. DAMN!

However, djjd62's instructions work fine up to the point where the copying-to-CD kicks in - or rather, doesn't kick in, because they aren't CDs. Later this week I'll hit Staples for a stack of CDs & I'm sure everything will be okay

I did a stupid thing - cleaning up a lot of old papers, I threw out the list of features that I ordered when I got my new computer. Now I'm not sure what exactly I have. Not everything shows up on the Start menu. That'll learn me to tidy things up...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:04 am
If you purchased the machine online, there should be available on the vendor's website - prolly under something like "My Account" - a record of the build specs for that specific machine, which would be accessible via order number, customer ID, and/or that machine's serial number. You may also have received a confirmation eMail with the same info. Possibly, a phonecall to the vendor's support desk might help you track down the info you're after.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 03:17 pm
i noticed that blank cd's now are more expensive than blank DVD's -
that seems rather strange to me .
hbg
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 03:30 pm
Burning CDs
Just to add a bit of decoration to my excessive tidying up as described above, I find that HP has my old email address, and no way to correct it online. So I must wait until tomorrow to request information by phone on such points as makes of the various installed features, since Custormer Care is closed today.

Interesting that in cases of difficulty with computer situations, we have to revert to the old fashioned method of telephoning...
0 Replies