ATHEIST MANIFESTO

Advocate

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:19 am
Eorl, I am puzzled regarding what country is perpendicular to me. Please advise.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:08 pm
Advocate, I'm in Australia. If you are in America, you would be standing on the Earth at an angle roughly perpendicular to me....like toy soldiers glued to a tennis ball.

(Europe, perhaps less so, and closer to 180 degrees to me.)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:40 am
Eorl wrote:
Advocate, I'm in Australia. If you are in America, you would be standing on the Earth at an angle roughly perpendicular to me....like toy soldiers glued to a tennis ball.

(Europe, perhaps less so, and closer to 180 degrees to me.)
It must be really terrible for you. How do you cope with the reversal of up/down? Do you sometimes get a rush of blood to the head? No wonder we cant beat you at cricket...its upside-down cricket...very tricky.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 05:46 pm
Well, we did try to bowl underarm once....just to help everyone else, of course....but they didn't seem to appreciate it much.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 12:15 am
dyslexia wrote:

When it comes to operating 'tax free', churches are not even close to the biggest beneficiaries of this type of an arrangement.

Government owned and operated schools and colleges all receive their income 'tax free' as well as 'tax subsidized' and in many cases nearly all of their income is from taxes.

They own huge tracts of land and buildings which generate no tax revenue.

Very few churches are in the same league as these schools (which are in fact large businesses) when it comes to dodging taxes.

Churches also get regularly threatened with the loss of their tax exemption if a church employee dare speak his/her mind on a political subject.

Yet government school teachers, professors at government universities and administrators of such institutions are well known for their political activism and views. And they are public employees on the public payroll.

When was the last time you heard that a government school or college might lose their tax exemption for this reason?

Never, that's when.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 02:07 am
............ Embarrassed

RL churches are held to a higher standard for a reason....of some kind..
0 Replies