Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:38 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,399 • Replies: 25
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:17 am
We don't need no stinkin manifesto. That's just giving a new front to the religious in their war against science and common sense.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:22 am
I agree with edgar. One does not have to become defensive when dealing with nonsense, no matter how many people believe in that nonsense.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:26 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I agree with edgar. One does not have to become defensive when dealing with nonsense, no matter how many people believe in that nonsense.

Considering the ongoing damage happening in the world in the name of religion, how can you say this? I think that atheists (in manifestos, etc.) and others have to speak out on the destruction being perpetrated in the name of religion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:28 am
Advocate wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Considering the ongoing damage happening in the world in the name of religion, how can you say this? I think that atheists (in manifestos, etc.) and others have to speak out on the destruction being perpetrated in the name of religion.

I can agree with this statement; just don't agree with the manifesto thingy.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:31 am
Advocate wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

And I agree with you Advocate. Its time for secularists and free thinkers to debunk the religious myths.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:38 am
The thing with a manifesto is that it is more than a mere statement. A random statement will not garner much attention, but a manifesto will hopefully resound to some extent.

I recall reading recently that 80 percent in the USA believe in God, and that 40 percent regularly attend church. In the UK, about 40 percent believe, and that only 5 percent regularly attend church. Let's hope that the UK is in the vanguard of a world-wide movement.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 02:20 pm
The believers have blind faith because they never ask questions.
Once you start asking questions you stop believing.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 03:46 pm
Advocate wrote:
The thing with a manifesto is that it is more than a mere statement. A random statement will not garner much attention, but a manifesto will hopefully resound to some extent.

I recall reading recently that 80 percent in the USA believe in God, and that 40 percent regularly attend church. In the UK, about 40 percent believe, and that only 5 percent regularly attend church. Let's hope that the UK is in the vanguard of a world-wide movement.
A survey in the Guardian yesterday (to which I am too lazy to link, but its easily found) said 80% of Brits thought religion did more harm than good.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 03:55 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Its time for secularists and free thinkers to debunk the religious myths.

I am not concerned with debunking religious myths. My only concern is where the religionists attempt to run my life, according to their precepts. Debunking their beliefs is not the answer. To me, the issue is not what you believe, but whether you use your beliefs to attempt to control other people.

I think that there are many people who are so entangled in their religion, that attempting to debunk will cause more of a fracture in the relationships between the religious and non-religious.

There may be some value in the non-religious banding together as an interest group that will ensure that their rights are not trampled on by the religious, who have very strong special interest groups, to which the politicians listen.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 04:08 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

I am not concerned with debunking religious myths. My only concern is where the religionists attempt to run my life, according to their precepts.
unless you make a stand they will
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 04:23 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

I am not concerned with debunking religious myths. My only concern is where the religionists attempt to run my life, according to their precepts.
unless you make a stand they will

Yes, there need to be a stand made, but it has nothing to do with debunking what people believe. Religion is so ingrained in the fabric of many people's lives, that introducing logic and reason to counter their beliefs, IMO, would do nothing but make them more hostile.

I have mentioned "Americans United for Separation of Church and State" before, but I think that it bears repeating:

http://www.au.org/

This organization is a watchdog group, that helps to insure that politics stays out of religion, and religion stays out of politics. I think that if many more people supported the aims of this group, it would be an effective stand.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 04:38 pm
It doesn't seem that AU does very much, much less has accomplishments. Does anyone have any idea what percentage of its revenue goes toward administration (such as salaries)?

I am deeply resentful that the taxpayers largely support religion through the charitable contribution deduction and exemption from all taxes. As you know, contributions to virtually every cockamamie religion are deductible. Moreover, especially with regard to Catholic schools, parents regularly (though improperly) deduct tuition payments for their children as though the payments were put on the plate during services.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 05:42 pm
Personally, I don't understand the rationale why churches don't pay taxes, and why contributions to religious groups are tax deductable.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 05:56 pm
I have no problem with churches or religions that are responsible. The state in more primitive times used religion to embed into its citizens with an internal code of behavior so as not to be problematic. Religion did that very well. With more enlightened times logic and scientific knowledge should help us to live more responsibly but science itself can open a can of worms such as the question of eugenics with the attendant racial superiority. That brings us to who should be save in a disaster scenario?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 05:57 pm
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 06:33 pm
bm
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 09:38 am
Dys, the tax code does tax unrelated business income of churches and charitable organizations. However, there are some loopholes.

To all of you, belatedly, I wish you a merry solstice.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 09:50 am
Advocate wrote:
Dys, the tax code does tax unrelated business income of churches and charitable organizations. However, there are some loopholes.

To all of you, belatedly, I wish you a merry solstice.
thanks 'cate and a merry mithras to you too.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:40 pm
I think this article is wonderful.

I agree with Advocate and disagree with Phoenix on this, and I think the reason is that I live in a country where the position of atheism is the (increasing) norm and fundamental religion is the aberation (although it is also on the rise).

Polarisation may be the price we pay for pushing atheism forward, but it's a price that seems reasonable to me.
0 Replies