Can't pick up wireless signal on laptop

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:06 am
Hi, I have a Toshiba laptop and a desktop computer at my place... I have a rotuer that I always pick up the signal from here, but all of a sudden I can't pick up a signal anymore... I thought maybe I was too far away, but even in the same room as the rotuer will not pick up a signal... can someone help me to get a signal on my laptop again? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 57,718 • Replies: 8
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:38 am
If the laptop's wireless card is functioning properly, it would at least report the presence of a WiFi signal even if your machine is not configured to connect to that network. First thing I'd check is whether the laptop's wireless card in fact was enabled and operating nominally. Also possible is that the router's radio either is turned off or has failed - circumstances which would have no effect on any device connected via wire to the router.

Quick checks - how does the laptop react in the presence of a known-good WiFi signal, and how does another known-good WiFi-enabled device react in the vicinity of your router?
0 Replies

IronMan2007

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 02:02 pm
It doesn't pick up any signal at all, even when I'm right beside a router... maybe I turned it off somehow, is there a switch for it? Or did I turn off an option on the laptop itself?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 03:27 pm
Likely - though not absolutely - there's some sorta physical switch or button on the laptop for tutning wireless on and off. On one of my laptops, the switch is on the lower front edge of the main body (the part that houses the works and on which the keyboard is mounted), a bit to the right of center - when "On", an amber LED illuminates, indicating the wireless adapter is powered, on another, a button/LED combo on the main body between the top of the keyboard and the display serves the same function, while yet another has a similar configuration situated on a multi-button, multi-function control panel to the left of the keyboard. I've seen other setups, too, and I've seen machines with a built-in wireless adapter but without a physical switch or button, but that's rare. Anyhow, there's prolly a physical switch or button - consult your machine's documentation for particulars. If you've misplaced your machine's manual, its prolly available for download from the vendor's website.

In just about every instance of which I'm aware turning the wireless adapter's radio on and off can be done via the adapter's configuration function, generally accessible via Control Panel and/or opening the adapter's configuration utility via Programs - again, consult your machine's documentation.

It also is possible the router's radio has been switched off; accessing the controls for the router's radio is accomplished through the router's own configuration utility, accessible as a web page via tying the router's address (usually - but not always - by default 192.168.1.1 ). Once again, consult your router's documentation - also typically available for download at the appropriate vendor's website, if you don't have the manual that came with it.

Finally, as mentioned earlier, hardware failure also is a possibility, though I think that is not real likely. Still, its worth checking out - see if your laptop detects a known-good WiFi signal, at a freind's location or a public hotspot for instance, and see if a known-good wireless device detects your router's signal.
amymoo

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 05:26 pm
@timberlandko,
My computer is having a similar issue, I have been using my pc router for wireless successfully for a year one day my laptop stopped picking up any wireless signals- it used to be able to detect up to three signals at a time from surrounding neigbours routers, now it wont pick up any, the router is working as two other household laptops have no problem so it is my computer howver i cant seem to find the problem.... its physically on as amber light is on. in control panel i try to open the HP wireless assistant but it won't open.... whats happened?
jespah

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:38 pm
@amymoo,
I wish timber could answer you. I really, really do. You don't know how much I do. But he passed on in 2007.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:11 pm
@amymoo,
In control panel go to devices and see if the device is listed under network devices.
If it isn't listed then it could be a driver or hardware issue. Try updating the driver. If it isn't listed at all, then try doing a hardware scan to see if the computer can find it.

You say the amber light is on. Is that on the switch to turn your wireless on and off?
nate24

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:09 am
@parados,
i have tried everything and i still cant get my laptop to pick up networks when i turn on network discovery it turns right back off
0 Replies

nhlighthouse

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 01:54 pm
@IronMan2007,
Here is the deal 'cause its happen to me also...Comcast has spun off a company called Exifinity to handle all their WI-FI tech needs and support. After talking with a Comcast rep he informed me that for a one-time fee of $44.95 and a $5.00 a month support fee I could recieve my WI-FI signal again. This is nothing short of extortion especially after having a WI-FI signal before without any additional charge...Contact the news media , Public Ultities commission in your town, city or state. This is a violation of a contractual agreement without being compensated for loss of service(WI-FI)
0 Replies