Adding data to CDs

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 07:16 pm
What type of CD should I get if I want to use it for saving data to which I would be adding new items from time to time such as a running list of expenses?

I've never used the CD burning facility on my computer, and want to experiment, especially as I accidentally deleted a whole bunch of important personal stuff yesterday afternoon. I retrieved most of it, and brought some things up to date, but I do NOT want that to happen again. I have a lot of stuff saved in a flash thingy, but it's run out of space - 1 gig isn't a whole lot when you put pix on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 482 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:47 pm
Getchyerself a couple re-writable (RW) discs - CD or DVD as suitable - to practice with, then when you've got the works figured out, backup to Write-once discs; they're faster and less error-prone. Keep track of how much you've burned to the active disc, and don't finalize it untill its full or very nearly full.

I've been using Dual Layer DVDs for a while now - been pretty content with the results. I do note I'm no more likely to label one of them than I ever was for any other removeable storage media. A nice session of "whut'nhell's on this one?" is a fine way to spend a yucky-weather afternoon.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:48 pm
I don't think the "type" of CD is as important as how you use it. What you want to do is create a data disk using the "multi session" function of your writing software. In Nero, it's a check box that says something like "allow files to be added later". The opposite function is "finalizing", which prevents files being added later. The main thing to remember that a disc that has not been finalised, may not be readable by some CD/DVD players (it will still be readable by writers).
0 Replies