Writer?

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:05 am
First a little background, sorries.

I write. Does that make me a writer? I don't have any friends who write so I don't have any other opinions really.

When I would ask them, "Raise your hand if your a writer". None do.

I've noticed how just saying the word "Writer" makes people uneasy, for some reason. Then, if instead I say "Do you like to write", it comes off much more easy.

It's because the word "writer" carries more seriousness I guess.

I myself have defined the word as "Anyone who thinks". Thus, this means everyone is a writer, that is why everything is a cliche, ha ha. Makes sense though right lol.

Hey you "writers" out there, or maybe just people who "like to write". How do define yourself?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,022 • Replies: 29
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:50 am
You are a writer because you write. I am a writer because I write. I am also a professional writer because I frequently get paid for writing. Perhaps people don't raise their hands because they have no confidence in their writing and they are afraid you will ask them to read something they've written. And they're afraid what they've written sucks.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:10 am
Well hey, I can think of good stories in my mind. If I just don't physically write them down on paper, does that mean I'm not considered a writer?

But then why would they raise their hands if I say, "Do you like to write". That has nothing to do with the quality of their writing. Has it really become that you have to be good at writing to become a writer?

In society, yes. I won't deny you have to have talent.

Hmm...professional. Maybe this question don't work so well when aimed at a professional. I'm probably wrong though. Of course, you do write because you're creative and you enjoy it though, right? God, like writing really pays enough for you to do it for the money.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 08:49 am
I may be a little overly picky, but I don't think you're a writer if you don't write. Sorry. The act of writing is not the same as thinking.

Why don't you write something?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 08:52 am
Roberta wrote:
I may be a little overly picky, but I don't think you're a writer if you don't write. Sorry. The act of writing is not the same as thinking.

Why don't you write something?

Concur.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 12:36 pm
I agree with Roberta and Edgar. I've known too many Sensitive Young Men who planned to write the Great American Novel (or Verse Epic) "someday" and who never produced more than first drafts of first pages.

Writers write.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 10:29 pm
I guess I mean that when I say a writer is "anyone who thinks", I mean that everyone has the potential of being a writer. Simply, it is just the physical act of writing the words down that does give you the title.

I made that definition a little ways back to inspire some friends (failed though).

I tried to get one friend to write (I pushed a little too hard though Sad) by saying "writing is easy".

He replied "Yeah! For you it is!"

I replied, "Hey! If you can think, if there exists an opinion inside your skull, then you can write!".

I pushed a little to hard and in my struggle forgot something. Of course everyone can do it, but it just comes down to the basis "Does it bring you happiness?" rule.

Lessoned learned.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 11:21 pm
acepilot wrote:
I guess I mean that when I say a writer is "anyone who thinks", I mean that everyone has the potential of being a writer. Simply, it is just the physical act of writing the words down that does give you the title.

I made that definition a little ways back to inspire some friends (failed though).

I tried to get one friend to write (I pushed a little too hard though Sad) by saying "writing is easy".

He replied "Yeah! For you it is!"

I replied, "Hey! If you can think, if there exists an opinion inside your skull, then you can write!".

I pushed a little to hard and in my struggle forgot something. Of course everyone can do it, but it just comes down to the basis "Does it bring you happiness?" rule.

Lessoned learned.

Sorry, acepilot, but I have to disagree with you again. Writing is difficult, challenging, exhausting work. Putting thoughts to paper (or computer) is not necessarily writing. As Truman Capote remarked of another writer, "That's not writing. That's typing." Having thoughts and writing them down is closer to writing than having thoughts and not writing them down. But it still doesn't amount to writing--true writing.

Maybe we're disagreeing on semantics. Dunno.

But from my perspective at the very least, writing requires clarityof thought, organized thinking, and facility with language. This is at the very least.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 11:35 am
We could argue forever about any human act, saying this is hard and this is easy. I believe it's all what you perceive in your mind.

You think it's easy, it's easy.
You think it's hard, it's hard.

I am talking about just pure creative/regurgitation of the thoughts in the mind into your own words on paper.

If we were talking about professional standards and such, yes of course it would be hard and exhausting.

(But, like I said before. We could argue forever about the difficulty of any human act. Personal preference yadda yadda.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 03:29 pm
Yes, we're having a semantic difference. And, yes, I agree that "pure creative/regurgitation of the thoughts in the mind into your own words on paper" is not hard.

You've touched a sore spot, acepilot. I'm an editor. I spend countless hours turning the regurgitation into something intelligible. This is why I make such a strong distinction between what you're talking about and what I'm talking about when it comes to writing.

But now that I understand what you mean, we're no longer in disagreement.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 03:50 pm
Writers write. Writing is part of their self-identity.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 04:14 pm
Thinkers think, but have no identity Laughing
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:33 am
Roberta wrote:
Having thoughts and writing them down is closer to writing than having thoughts and not writing them down. But it still doesn't amount to writing--true writing.

I agree, although I'd say - it doesn't necessarily amount to writing (depends who is doing the thinking).

John Steinbeck is a writer
Noam Chomsky is a writer
Stephen King is a writer

I, on the other hand, am a thinker, who uses the process of writing to examine my thoughts and feelings - and expel some of them.
Maybe one day I'll write a poem or a short story or something that will make me believe that I might be a writer - but until then, I could call myself a lot of things that would be more appropriate than 'a writer'

Still, I'm not against anyone calling themselves a writer - if they physically write. (Especially if, like me, it's what they do for most of the day. What else are they going to call it)?

I just see it in a different way. If I was training to be a fire-fighter, I wouldn't call myself a fire-fighter until I'd earned the badge and when it comes to writing I recognise that I personally have a long road of learning ahead. For now I think of my writing as a hobby.

I've only been writing a couple of years and my schooling wasn't great.
I try and write for people like me, with a less extensive vocabulary, because I want to encourage interest in reading and writing in similar circles. Still, I've noticed just by reading and writing every day, my vocabulary is growing.

If intellectuals read my stuff and think it's rubbish - that's okay - I'm not trying to win any prizes; and I happen to think too many books that get published are 'snob-shite' - formulated, well-crafted, arty, but somehow lacking truth - lacking soul.

If I had a book published and it was in a library and I overheard some bloke from the streets say he couldn't understand a f*cking word, cos it was all la-de-da - now that would really bother me.

Each to his (or her) own, I guess.

Peace
Endy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 03:19 pm
Quote:
Thinkers think, but have no identity

I think, therefore I am.

When the brain flatlines indicating an absense of thought, the individual is usually disconnected from life support.

Welcome to A2K, Dear Vegetable.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 12:00 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Quote:
Thinkers think, but have no identity

I think, therefore I am.

When the brain flatlines indicating an absense of thought, the individual is usually disconnected from life support.

Welcome to A2K, Dear Vegetable.

didn't you see the laughing face at the end. Sarcasim is so much more hilarous in public.
0 Replies

spir00

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 12:48 pm
A writer is one who composes text.
Not just on paper, but on anything.
Remember, there wasn't always paper to compose text on.

If an author is said to have written a book, and that author used a computer to type away every word that made that story, does this mean that author never wrote that book? No!
An author creates written work.
A writer (Author or not) composes text.
You cannot compose text in your mind.
You do so when you have compose it on something.
For those with no arms, can still be a writer, they can compose text using a instrument with there mouth onto something.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 03:02 pm
this has been an interesting read for certain.

I am a writer. I am able to put on paper what I dare not put into my life and I am able to put in my life what I dare not put on paper. If I use my computer, it is a tool with inevitable means towards a printer.

Many "writers" never became published until after they have passed from this world, but they were nonetheless writers. A true writer is one who has the heart to create with words beyond their own existence regardless if there are any readers to immerse themselves into the creativity of what is written.

Life got in the way a bit, but never could life quell the writer's spirit borne within my being. Writing is much like composing music. It possesses the one who possesses it.

When I am not here, I am there, writing.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 11:07 pm
Herema wrote:
this has been an interesting read for certain.

I am a writer. I am able to put on paper what I dare not put into my life and I am able to put in my life what I dare not put on paper. If I use my computer, it is a tool with inevitable means towards a printer.

Many "writers" never became published until after they have passed from this world, but they were nonetheless writers. A true writer is one who has the heart to create with words beyond their own existence regardless if there are any readers to immerse themselves into the creativity of what is written.

Life got in the way a bit, but never could life quell the writer's spirit borne within my being. Writing is much like composing music. It possesses the one who possesses it.

When I am not here, I am there, writing.

When I write, yes, it is mainly all for my personal benefit and belonging such. Yet, I do want others to feel this way that I feel when I write (readers). So, I'm not sure if I entirely agree with your statement.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 05:50 pm
Quote:
When I write, yes, it is mainly all for my personal benefit and belonging such. Yet, I do want others to feel this way that I feel when I write (readers). So, I'm not sure if I entirely agree with your statement.

Certainly, writers want the readers to be where the writer is at when writing. I never said that I write solely for my own personal satisfaction. What I am saying now, though, is that if a writer cannot write for the sake of writing or writes for personal magnification, or for money, then they have missed the boat.

I am not certain what part you do not "agree" with, but I was not asking for agreement. You asked the question, I gave an opinion.

Different people write for different reasons and readers read for different reasons as well. That is the spice of life: We are all the same differently.

me agapi
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 10:23 pm
Oops, forgot I needed permission to agree with someone's words.

Aww, meant no harm by it. I know what you're saying Herema, I was just speaking my opinion Smile
0 Replies