Grapes Can Cause Kidney Failure for Dogs and Cats

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:41 am
Uppity Wisconsites and San Diegoans. Bastard people.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:52 am
There's no apparent method to your madness today, gus. I'm worried.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:54 am
Lost horses cause canoes to overturn.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:55 am
What's the book?

I am forever confusing Monona and Mendota. I lived on one. (Mendota, I think.) Otis Redding crashed into one (Monona, I think).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:55 am
CAN'T I HAVE A FRIGGIN' DAY OFF?!! DO YOU THINK THIS **** IS EASY?!!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:56 am
Gus
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
CAN'T I HAVE A FRIGGIN' DAY OFF?!! DO YOU THINK THIS **** IS EASY?!!

Gus, have you stopped taking your meds again?

BBB
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:57 am
soz wrote:
What's the book?

The book is The Life and Times of the Last Kid Picked, by David Benjamin.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:00 pm
Ok, maybe patiodog and BBB are right. Maybe I should just go.

I am filled with pain, people. I am hurting.

I'll talk to you all later.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:01 pm
There, there, Gus.

Thanks for the title, I'm interested.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:06 pm
AT SEVENTEEN
Janis Ian

I learned the truth at seventeen
That love was meant for beauty queens
And high school girls with clear skinned smiles
Who married young and then retired.
The valentines I never knew
The Friday night charades of youth
Were spent on one more beautiful
At seventeen I learned the truth.
And those of us with ravaged faces
Lacking in the social graces
Desperately remained at home
Inventing lovers on the phone
Who called to say come dance with me
and murmured vague obscenities
It isn't all it seems
At seventeen.
A brown eyed girl in hand me downs
Whose name I never could pronounce
said, Pity please the ones who serve
They only get what they deserve.
The rich relationed hometown queen
Married into what she needs
A guarantee of company
And haven for the elderly.
Remember those who win the game
Lose the love they sought to gain
Indebentures of quality
And dubious integrity.
Their small town eyes will gape at you
in dull surprise when payment due
Exceeds accounts received
At seventeen.
To those of us who know the pain
Of valentines that never came,
And those whose names were never called
When choosing sides for basketball.
It was long ago and far away
The world was younger than today
And dreams were all they gave for free
To ugly duckling girls like me.
We all play the game and when we dare
To cheat ourselves at solitaire
Inventing lovers on the phone
Repenting other lives unknown
That call and say, come dance with me
and murmur vague obscenities
At ugly girls like me
At seventeen.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:02 am
Janis Ian obviously lived through a far different adolescence from mine. I was way to busy working at seventeen to worry about flippin' Valentines! Come to think of it, that attitude persists to this day. Anyway, BBB, we rarely get significant snowfall down here in this hole in the mountains. We got a skiff last night, but the real snow falls in the mountains on all sides. The good news is that I got my seventeen bulls Trich and semen tested yesterday before the storm front moved in. That kind of timing almost never happens. Speaking of timing, Merry Christmas to all of you. Have a great holiday season!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:14 am
That was for Gus and relates to the book he is reading.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:36 am
Butrflynet
Butrflynet wrote:
That was for Gus and relates to the book he is reading.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 01:22 pm
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 06:53 pm
i'm glad hostas and maple seeds are not on the list of poisonous things .
ehbeth's cleo consumes both fresh , green hosta leaves and maple seeds with great delight - they seem to be very good for her digestive system .

bailey would likely never touch them . however he likes to get hold of chives when they come up in the spring - with disastrous results for anyone in his vicinity for the next day or so , but it does not seem to cause him any discomfort Rolling Eyes .
hbg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:54 am
The Holidays and Your Pets
The Holidays and Your Pets
Wednesday, 28 November 2007
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center offers pet owners the following helpful hints:

Holiday sweets with chocolate are not for pets. Depending on the dose ingested, chocolate (bakers, semi-sweet, milk, and dark) can be potentially poisonous to many animals. In general, the less sweet the chocolate, the more toxic it could be. In fact, unsweetened baking chocolate contains almost seven times more theobromine (a substance similar to caffeine) as milk chocolate. Vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity, and increased thirst, and heart rate can be seen with the ingestion of as little as one-quarter ounce of baking chocolate by a 10-pound dog.

Keep your pet on its normal diet. Any change of diet, even for one meal, might give your dog or cat severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals that have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements.

Raisins contain a potentially lethal toxin under their skins that can cause renal failure in dogs.

Candies and gum containing large amounts of the sweetener xylitol can also be toxic to pets, as ingestions of significant quantities can produce a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, incoordination, and seizures. Be sure to keep such products well out of the reach of your pets.

Don't give pets holiday leftovers, and keep pets out of the garbage. Poultry bones can splinter and cause blockages. Greasy, spicy, and fatty foods can cause stomach upset; spoiled or moldy foods could cause food poisoning signs, tremors, or seizures.

Alcohol and pets do not mix. Place unattended alcoholic drinks where pets cannot reach them. If ingested, the animal could become very sick and weak and might go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.

Keep aluminum foil and cellophane candy wrappers away from pets. They can cause vomiting and intestinal blockage.

Be careful with holiday floral arrangements. Lilies are commonly used this time of year and all varieties, including Tiger, Asian, Japanese Show, Stargazer, and Casa Blanca can cause kidney failure in cats. Safe alternatives can include artificial flowers made from silk or plastic.
Common Yuletide plants such as mistletoe and holly berries can be potentially toxic to pets. Should a cat or dog eat mistletoe, it could possibly suffer gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Holly can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and lethargy if ingested.
Poinsettias are considered to be very low in toxicity. However, they could cause mild vomiting or nausea if ingested by your pet.

Keep pets away from Christmas tree water. The water may contain fertilizers, which if ingested, can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water can also act as a breeding ground for bacteria, and if ingested a pet could end up with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Consider decorating your tree with ornaments that are relatively less enticing to pets, such as dried non-toxic flowers, wood, fabric, or pinecones. Traditional decorations such as ribbons or tinsel, if ingested, can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction. This is a very common problem, particularly with cats.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:57 am
Keep pets safe from cold
Published December 27, 2007
Keep pets safe from cold
MCT News Service

Humans aren't the only ones in need of protection from the elements during the winter months. Our pets, specifically our dogs and cats, need special attention, too.

Winter cold can pose a serious health and safety issue for dogs and cats. To help keep pets warm and safe when the temperature drops, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals offers the following guidelines:

» Keep a pet cat indoors during cold weather, especially at night. A cat can freeze, become lost, injured or killed.

» Always keep a dog on a leash in snow and ice. During a snowstorm, a dog can become disoriented and lost. Also, make sure your dog always wears an ID tag.

» Wipe down thoroughly a dog's legs and stomach when it comes inside from the sleet, snow or ice. An animal can ingest salt, antifreeze or other potentially dangerous chemicals while licking his paws, and his paw pads may also bleed from snow or encrusted ice.

» Don't shave your dog down to the skin in winter. A longer coat will provide a dog with more warmth. If you own a short-haired dog, consider purchasing a coat or sweater with a high collar or turtleneck with coverage from the base of the tail to the belly.

» When bathing a dog during cold-weather months, be sure the dog is completely dry before taking it out for a walk.

» Never leave a dog or cat alone in a car during cold weather. A car can quickly become a refrigerator in the winter, as it can retain cold air that can cause an animal to freeze to death.

» Puppies do not tolerate the cold as well as adult dogs. As a result, housebreaking can become a problem during winter months. If a puppy appears to be sensitive to the weather, opt for paper training inside. If a dog is sensitive to the cold due to age, illness or breed type, take it outdoors only to relieve himself.

» Antifreeze is a lethal poison for dogs and cats. Always clean up any spills from your vehicle, and consider using products that contain propylene glycol rather than ethylene glycol.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 08:58 pm
i'm not very good at digesting chocolates and many other things - cabbage , onions , garlic , oranges ... ... - any more , and i am NOT a dog !
IN THEORY we shouldn't give our pets anything but GOOD petfood - dry food seems to be best , some canned dogfod gives cleo and bailey the runs !
of course , when they are visiting - like right now - it's pretty difficult to deny them any kind treat . so for breakfast they may get a little hard-boiled egg and some yoghurt and cottage cheese , which they not only enjoy but apparently it's good for them .
just had some ryvita crispbread with jarlsberg cheese and they did manage to convince me to share - about half a fingernail-size piece !
hbg
0 Replies