Grapes Can Cause Kidney Failure for Dogs and Cats

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:05 pm
Oh ****, youve got a yogurt snortin vegan dog on yer hands. Does set know about this? Does yer dog want a Volvo?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:10 pm
Are Volvos so named because they're safe and boxy?

Just wonderin'...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:11 pm
<slap>

and

<slap>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:12 pm
MY dog has a Volvo of his own, presently snow covered.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:14 am
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA>
SHE HIT ME!
IM TELLIN
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:19 am
farmerman wrote:
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA>
SHE HIT ME!
IM TELLIN
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Whart, exactly, were you hoping to achieve with that awful din, Baldrick?

You should be honoured that she hit you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:08 am
I've heard Nylabones are good. We had a rather bad experience with a Nylabone though too, with Zoe passing a very large piece of one that was suppose to be edible.

I think that the best thing for dogs teeth is regular brushing. I know, easier said than done but we started doing it to Zoe at 9-10 weeks and now every week we brush her teeth and she doesn't mind.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 03:07 pm
from "talk to the vet" , about dogs and chocolate poisining :

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now , 2 oz. of milk-chocolate is half a chocolate bar .
even i have trouble with that amount of chocolate , but i do tolerate a littlle nibble from time-to-time , probably no more than a 1/8 oz.
going by the above table , i doubt that amount of milk-chocolate would do a moderate size dog any harm .

a friend of ours has a good size dog (about 40 lbs) . she would give a piece of "snauzage" and similar dog treats when she came home from work - the dog had the run of a large garden during the day .
he became very sick and had to be put on kidney dialysis for some days . the vet said that these "dog treats" are about the worst thing one can give a dog .

we had a dog (and several cats) when i grew up . the dog lived on table scraps - dog food was unknown to us - ; the cats - being responsible for catching and killing rats in the harbour - were fed fish , beef hearts etc and they always had large saucers of milk .
they were all darn' healthy animals who survived the war years .
i don't think there was a vet anywhere near us .
hbg

source :
...TALK TO THE VET...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 03:09 pm
Holy hell....my dog would have to eat 60 oz of milk chocolate for it to be toxic? That's a lot. However, only 6.6 oz of Bakers chocolate would do damage...that's scary.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 03:11 pm
hamburger wrote:

1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate

So Cleo can eat 25 ounces of milk chocolate? ! ? ! ?

I ain't cleanin' up that mess.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 03:19 pm
come on , set ! be a sport !
remember how cleo enjoyed the nice foam bath last time - after rolling around in some poopity stuff :wink: .
it wasn't that tough a job , was it Laughing ?
think of all the pleasure she'll have ... eating the chocolate !
and the pleasure you'll have ... bathing her !
hbg(getting the milk chocolate ready)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:25 pm
your arguing about how much poison is OK for a dog Hbg. Remember LD 50 doses are statistically derived. You want your dog to be a bottom number? NO CHOCOLATE< FOR NO DOG UNDER MY WATCH____CLEAR?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:28 pm
Many Years ago, I worked for a vet as a lab tech. Some kid and his stupid parents brought in a beagleto whom they gave a Chunky.
"We often give him a Hershey bar or a Chunky HE loves em".

Dog died of basically an acute arrhythmia that we couldnt stabilize .
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:29 pm
Given a choice, any dog would rather have a piece of hamburger over a piece of chocolate - so why take the risk?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 05:27 pm
I doubt hamburger has any parts he's will to, um, part with.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:26 pm
farmerman :
don't get me wrong ; i certainly respect your reasoning .
i certainly - as i have stated - would not suggest giving a dog a chocolate bar .
but i also remember that when this subject came up some time ago , someone wrote that his dog would eat ripe grapes when out in the field - apparently without much ill effect ... except the mess he made ... in the field , i hope .
hbg
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:33 pm
Thanks for the invitation, bbb. I read this thread earlier, and felt that common sense was prevailing quite nicely. Virtually any food substance can be toxic if a sufficient quantity is ingested, and that quanitity is generally substantial. That is certainly the case with chocolate, Vitamin A, and a host of others. I suspect that it is also true of grapes, and that it takes a fair amount to produce harmful effects. That it certainly NOT true of ethylene glycol, second-generation warfarin compounds, and some other toxins. Does that help?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:39 am
CowDoc
Thanks, CowDoc, for sharing your expertise.

BTW, are you enjoying the blizzards? I have 6 inches of snow in Allbuquerque my yard. More is expected.

BBB
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:53 am
I'm jealous of you folks.

It's raining in Wisconsin. Four days to Christmas, the lakes aren't frozen, and it's raining. Damn it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:04 am
Dog
New Mexico was really crippled by the blizzard. Such storms are rare here. People were stranded in their cars and trucks along closed highways. The main artery, Highway 40, was closed for at least 24 hours. More snow is expected soon.

I'm lucky that I have a habit of stocking food for myself and my dogs. Shopping was near impossible. My handiman drives a truck or he would not have been able to purchase and install a new furnace thermostat yesterday afternoon after mine died and we were cold.

BBB
0 Replies