Pentecostals outnumber Methodists in UK

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 02:21 am
Immigraion changes church attendance:

Quote:
Pentecostals outnumber Methodists in UK
By Jonathan Petre, Religion Correspondent
Last Updated: 7:11am GMT 19/12/2006

Pentecostals now outnumber Methodists at church services in England, according to a survey.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 726 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:24 pm
Ah yes! I remember my days as a Methodist...well, technically I was a United Methodist. How alarmed the hierarchy can be is questionable unless they've been wearing blinders. The Methodist Church has been losing members in many locations for quite a while. As a youth...many eons past...I was dragged to Kingsley Church each Sunday and then it happened. The merger! Kingsley, Grace and Trinity. Three churches were merged into one. This was more alarming when the demographics of the area at that time are brought into the equation. The population was on a rather rapid increase. This was during my coupla years...the 2+years where I spent some time on Satan's Island (known to most folks as Staten Island). Shortly after that merger the Methodists (or at least some of them merged with the United Brethren or Evangelical United Brethren or something of that and the Methodists became United Methodists, Might as well have called themselves Disunited Mergerists.There is something lacking within certain denominations of Christianity. Something which draws people in and helps them to want to stay. The Pentecostals seem to have a hook for grabbing people as do certain other denominations, the Methodists seem to have no inkling as to how to keep parishioners returning. Perhaps the Methodists need to investigate further.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:31 pm
Great, I have a financial interest in the wholesale rattlesnake industry and we're really trying to expand our sales beyond the medical research angle.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:48 am
can I ask a question?

In Islam we believe that only one of the numerous sects will enter paridise as the others have strayed from the original teachings and have bought innovations to the religion which were not decreed by God through Mohammed (saw)

What is the Christian view on this?
Is it similar to ours?
Do you all believe innovation is OK?

What are the main differences between the various sects in Christianity?
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 11:18 am
Abid wrote:
can I ask a question?

In Islam we believe that only one of the numerous sects will enter paridise as the others have strayed from the original teachings and have bought innovations to the religion which were not decreed by God through Mohammed (saw)

What is the Christian view on this?
Is it similar to ours?
Do you all believe innovation is OK?

What are the main differences between the various sects in Christianity?

Is that really the first question to ask? Shouldn't it be, "What are the original teachings?"

I think people learn what they need, or, are ready to learn, wherever they find it.
0 Replies